PDA

View Full Version : Keep Those Old Toothbrushes

Jim Koepke
09-16-2023, 1:53 PM
Having a shop where it is getting difficult to move around in and other issues my rust hunting has been mostly curtailed this last year. There really isn't much my shop needs, other than me getting in there and cleaning up and finding new homes for some of the overly duplicated items.

Yesterday a stop was made at one of my favorite second hand stores. Before even getting to the tool section a half dozen forks were picked up along with a butter dish. Our old one broke and we have been on the hunt ever since.

Looking through the tool section there were a bunch of inexpensive plastic handled chisels. Three boxes of some screwdrivers in various states. There are already more than enough screwdrivers in the shop.

There was a short, very rusty Disston saw with a broken D8 thumbhole handle. Not sure about the saw plate. It was short and the toe was rounded.

Finally there were two oilstones on the end of one shelf. Usually the oilstones found in this shop are very dished or not really anything to write home about.

These two were different than what Mike usually has.

The small one is a translucent hard Arkansas. The larger stone has the texture of a Washita.

They didn't have much swarf left from previous use. It was cleaned off easily with an old toothbrush and dishwashing soap.

There are a couple chips on the translucent, but it should be handy for working smaller blades or pocket knives.

Total cost $3.24 with tax.

jtk

Dave Anderson NH
09-17-2023, 8:56 AM
Toothbrushes are a shop essential and useful in the garage and garden shed too. I fortunately have a good stock both from visits to the dentist and from a member of our woodworking guild who scores a 14" cube box full of quality rejects from a major toothbrush maker. I think I ended up with about a dozen which has kept me in stock for the last 8-10 years.

OK Folks lets come up with a list of shop and garage uses.

Rob Luter
09-17-2023, 9:38 AM
I find they make good glue brushes too.

Jim Koepke
09-17-2023, 2:34 PM
OK Folks lets come up with a list of shop and garage uses.

Heat the neck of the brush just below the bristles so it can be bent to allow it to get into tight places.

jtk

Dave Anderson NH
09-18-2023, 2:56 PM
Great idea Jim.

George Yetka
09-18-2023, 4:10 PM
I dont see why we need to use our old ones I just use my current one.

Jim Koepke
09-18-2023, 4:42 PM
I dont see why we need to use our old ones I just use my current one.

I guess that could help to get a little more iron in your diet. :eek:

jtk

mike calabrese
09-18-2023, 6:02 PM
I use my wife's tooth brush so far she hasn't caught on;)
calabrese55

Trevor Wentzel
09-19-2023, 11:09 AM
I like old toothbrushes for a quick cleaning prior to putting things away.

Brian Deakin
09-30-2023, 4:48 AM
Hope you remember to rinse the brush after using it in your workshop

Brian Deakin
09-30-2023, 4:55 AM
Probably would not help with Iron absorption

Elemental iron is not suitable you need the salt

This is the reason tablets are Ferrous sulphate ,Fumarate or glutamate

Iron content of different iron salts

Iron salt/amount
Content of ferrous iron

ferrous fumarate 200 mg