PDA

View Full Version : help on scroll saws

jeff oldham
09-16-2023, 11:28 AM
i was needing some help on which scroll saw to buy,,,i would like one with the quickest blade changes ,,and where the arm raises up,,to be honest i like the excaliber,,but it seems like they have got alot of negative reviews,,plus i cant seem to actually find new ones for sale,,most are reconditioned,,,and im kinda scare of that,,,i like the pegas,,,,but the excilaber just kinda sticks in my mind,,,can anyone give me some advice on the excaliber,,or for that matter on any scroll saw

jerry cousins
09-16-2023, 11:51 AM
i have the excaliber - the 30" throat depth, so very good for larger pieces - it's been a great machine. i do a lot of double bevel cutting which requires cutting at an angel - what i like the most is that the head tilts - rather than the table - so on bigger pieces i'm not fighting gravity. before that i used a hegner which was a really well made saw.
i did not realize that the excalibers don't seem to be available.
jc

Ken Fitzgerald
09-16-2023, 1:07 PM
Jeff, I have an Excaliber. For me, having the table remain flat while doing angled cuts is a big advantage. Others may not agree. It's a matter of taste, it's subjective!

jeff oldham
09-16-2023, 1:10 PM
Jeff, I have an Excaliber. For me, having the table remain flat while doing angled cuts is a big advantage. Others may not agree. It's a matter of taste, it's subjective!
thank you ken,,,im not very up to date on scroll saws,,and i do appricate your input

Robert Hayward
09-16-2023, 1:13 PM
Which one to buy? You need to make a list of features and options that you want then go from there.

I did a fair amount of scroll sawing a few years ago. I went through three hobby type scroll saws. Two of them being eligible for antique status, an old USA made Craftsman and a Dremel. Then bought a cheap import that was not worth the shipping fee I paid. Finally ended up finding a used Hegner with a 22" throat, overhead magnifier light, foot pedal and a few hundred blades. Had been sitting unused for close to ten years and all it needed was a new bellows for the dust blower. Major difference between a high end scroll saw and old ones and cheap ones. Still have and occasionally use the Hegner today for double bevel inlay work.

I also still have an antique scroll saw. An all original direct drive cast iron Walker Turner. Even still has the factory hold down foot for the blade and retirement light. Works like it did the day it was new. It is too pristine to use it and take a chance breaking something so it sits in a corner.

Larry Frank
09-16-2023, 8:04 PM
There are some scroll saw forums that can really help you. Scroll Saw Village is one of the best. I have a Hegner and use it a lot. I think a DeWalt scrollsaw with the aftermarket Pegas blade clamps would be good for you.

Dave VanDewerker
09-17-2023, 1:44 PM
You do not want to waste your money on one of the new Excaliburs, the company was sold a few year back and the manufacturing was moved to China. The new saw are not made to the same quality as the old ones made in Taiwan. I have one of the older Excaliburs and really like it, I would but an older used one before I would buy a new one. If I were to buy a new scroll saw I would look at the Seyco and the Pegas saws. Rikon just released a new scroll saw the looks to be clone of the Excalibur, I have not seen any reviews on it yet.
If you have never used a scroll saw before and are just starting out I would suggest you look for a used Dewalt scroll saw, there are tons of them out there on the used market and they work very well. You should be able to get a used Dewalt for ~$300 or less vs a new Pegas for >$1000. If you find you really like it you can always sell the Dewalt for what you have into it or just keep it around as a backup saw.