PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Blades

Mike Gottlieb
09-15-2023, 7:23 PM
Need recommendations for 1/4" blades to be used on 20" bandsaw. I have used regular carbon steel blades in the past, but they have a short life and tend to break easy.
Many thanks, Mike

Mel Fulks
09-15-2023, 10:15 PM
It’s that small orbit that’s the problem. Expand your universe, the equator has NEVER broken.

Richard Coers
09-15-2023, 10:39 PM
The only reasons a blade breaks easily is feeding too fast, turning too hard, or over tensioning. The width has nothing to do with it if you use the blade properly. I make all my own blades from roll stock I bought on eBay years ago.

Andrew Hughes
09-15-2023, 11:04 PM
I also weld my small carbon steel blades.
I’ve never had one break my saw has a 20 inch wheel
Good Luck

Robert Hayward
09-16-2023, 1:20 PM
A 20" bandsaw can handle a 1/4" blade just fine. I use 1/4" blades on a PM1500 bandsaw and cannot remember the last time I broke one. Bandsaw blades direct is one source I have used. The Lennox Diemaster 2 line of blades come in 1/4" and hold up very well for me.

Ron Selzer
09-16-2023, 2:26 PM
Richard and Andrew what method do you use to weld your blades? Please

Richard Coers
09-16-2023, 2:37 PM
I use a silver braze system. Grind a skive joint on a disc sander, clamp in a fixture, the silver braze with mapp gas. I like this system as the flame anneals the brittle blade. I had some trouble at work with having a brittle weld and snapping the weld.

Ron Selzer
09-16-2023, 2:45 PM
I use a silver braze system. Grind a skive joint on a disc sander, clamp in a fixture, the silver braze with mapp gas. I like this system as the flame anneals the brittle blade. I had some trouble at work with having a brittle weld and snapping the weld.
Thank you, same method I am trying to learn, except i use two propane torches at the same time for a 1" blade

Richard Coers
09-16-2023, 5:46 PM
Thank you, same method I am trying to learn, except i use two propane torches at the same time for a 1" blade
The fixture I have is open under the joint. I put flux and a tiny piece of silver braze wire on top of the blade and bring the heat in from the bottom. The flux melts and then the silver braze. Like regular soldering, the solder is drawn towards the heat. I've done 3/4" blades with that technique and it works well.

Andrew Hughes
09-16-2023, 9:55 PM

Heres a pic with my flux,silver solder and fixture. I haven’t bought a coil yet this is my first year welding my own blades.
So I buy cut lengths from the guys that sharpen my table saw blades and jointer knives. So far the welds I’ve made have been very quiet when the band is running though the guilds. Super straight on the back the teeth aren’t dumping in and out of the cut. So it’s better then my saw service welds. The resaw blades I use are done buy bandsaw blades direct and are excellent.
Good Luck

Ron Selzer
09-17-2023, 8:34 AM
definitely heavy duty jig there. I like it alot.
I bought over thirty 1" blades that are longer than I need at an auction for less than two new ones. I have cut two down and one now is too short the other one runs with some noise as it goes thru the guides and the cut is rougher than I like. Have more to practice with as I need them. Don't use a bandsaw very often, just got a great deal on the saw and the blades.
thanks
Ron

Brian Deakin
09-24-2023, 5:23 AM
Please see link below Probably the best bandsaw blade post on Sawmillcreek

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?149862-Lets-talk-bandsaw-blades!

Pat Germain
09-25-2023, 11:38 AM
The last batch of bandsaw blades I bought were from Timberwolf. I haven't bought any more because those blades work so well and have lasted a long time. Does nobody use Timberwolf blade anymore?

Derek Cohen
09-25-2023, 1:14 PM
Need recommendations for 1/4" blades to be used on 20" bandsaw. I have used regular carbon steel blades in the past, but they have a short life and tend to break easy.
Many thanks, Mike

Mike, in 1/4” - 1/2” I only use 3 tpi bimetal blades. These can be sharpened about 5 times by yourself.

Note that Australian hardwoods probably place double the wear of the average US fare.

Regards from Perth

Derek

George Yetka
09-25-2023, 1:29 PM
May take a while to pay off but 870 over 4 friends may be worthwhile. I havent needed to get into welding blades. I mostly use cheaper laguna blades but Im on a 125" blade

https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-blade-welder-2.0-kva/t27555?gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw38SoBhB6EiwA8EQVLnarawnNNV3oIaIQ5eDm nEWipQfkq5GaKyI2qQAdu6gqTLhMRAN1yRoCd_4QAvD_BwE