PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for Dado Blades please

tim walker
09-13-2023, 6:28 PM
Have had a Freud set for many many years. A few years back I let some metal touch the blade on a SawStop and it did exactly as it was supposed to, it stopped and retracted. Of course the SS mechanism needed replacing, but the tooth that embedded in the aluminum block look a little nicked but ok, or maybe it isnt as I am having some severe tearout in some jewelry box partitions.

If you were buying a new dado set, what would be your go to? 8" only please.

I might add that I cut dados only on rare occasions.

Brian Runau
09-13-2023, 6:34 PM
I have a Forest set, good quality. Brian

Edward Weber
09-13-2023, 7:25 PM
I'm a Freud guy,
If you still use a Sawstop, https://www.freudtools.com/products/SD208S
If not, https://www.freudtools.com/products/SD508

Jim Becker
09-13-2023, 8:13 PM
Forrest Dado King or Freud SD-208. I owned the former back when I had the cabinet saw and it was an outstanding dado setup. The Freud is a little more affordable, however, although check Silver's Mill pricing on the Forrest.

tim walker
09-13-2023, 9:29 PM
Has anyone actually tried the dado set that SawStop makes? It retails for $299 but I found a deal with a dado brake and insert plate for $379

Cary Falk
09-13-2023, 11:27 PM
I have the Delta 35-7670/DeWalt DW7670 and am perfectly happy with it for the few times I use it.

Ron Selzer
09-14-2023, 12:12 AM
Forest Dado King here on SawStop ICS

John Kananis
09-14-2023, 12:51 AM
Ridge Carbide (my preference) or Forrest - you don't need to look any further unless you're trying to save money imho.

Ted Diehl
09-14-2023, 10:29 AM
The forrest Dado King is excellent

Michael Burnside
09-14-2023, 11:07 AM
Has anyone actually tried the dado set that SawStop makes? It retails for $299 but I found a deal with a dado brake and insert plate for $379

I don't do a ton of dado cutting on my saw, but I like the SawStop brand I purchased. The quality/cut is outstanding. That said, recommendations of Ridge Carbide (my go to for everything not dado) or Forrest are sound.

Alex Shanku
09-14-2023, 11:36 AM
I've been using the Amana 8" Electro-Blu set for the past year or so and really like it. Incredible cut, no tear out, nice flat bottoms, easy to shim.

https://www.amanatool.com/658060c-carbide-tipped-electro-blutm-prestige-dado-8-inch-dia-x-24t-h-atb-5-8-bore-complete-dado-set-with-six-4-wing-chippers.html

George Yetka
09-14-2023, 1:38 PM
Forrest here. good quality. cant speak for any others

Kent A Bathurst
09-14-2023, 2:15 PM
Forrest here. good quality. cant speak for any others

What George said.

And Brian. And Jim. And Ron. And Ted.

Ray Newman
09-14-2023, 2:46 PM
On my SawStop ICS, I run a Forrest or a very old Delta dado set. Based on my experiences and what I hear and read, I will recommend either Forrest or Ridge Carbide. https://ridgecarbidetool.com/collections/dado-sets

As an aside, Popular Woodworking, June 2023, Issue #272, did a review of "premium" dado sets. The review noted which dado sets are SawStop compatible. The author was impressed with the Infinity Tools "Dadonator" https://www.infinitytools.com/8-dadonator-xl

Rod Sheridan
09-14-2023, 4:54 PM
I use an FS Tools dado set, nice to buy locally made stuff…….Regards, Rod

Robert Hayward
09-14-2023, 6:33 PM
check Silver's Mill pricing on the Forrest.
That is Slivers Mill if you are doing a search for their prices.

Bruce Wrenn
09-14-2023, 9:27 PM
Have had a Freud set for many many years. A few years back I let some metal touch the blade on a SawStop and it did exactly as it was supposed to, it stopped and retracted. Of course the SS mechanism needed replacing, but the tooth that embedded in the aluminum block look a little nicked but ok, or maybe it isnt as I am having some severe tearout in some jewelry box partitions.

If you were buying a new dado set, what would be your go to? 8" only please.

I might add that I cut dados only on rare occasions. Contact Dynamic Saw and see what they would charge to repair and sharpen your existing set.

Doug Colombo
09-14-2023, 10:25 PM
Another vote for Forrest here - love mine

Bob Jones 5443
09-15-2023, 1:03 AM
Might be discontinued, but my set by SystiMatic is a heckuva tool. Chippers are on full-circle plates, both the four 1/8” the 1/16” one. That’s a lot of concentric metal mass. The bottom of the dado is grooved, but the router plane makes short work of flattening it out.

No one ever mentions these.

mike stenson
09-15-2023, 11:19 AM
Might be discontinued, but my set by SystiMatic is a heckuva tool. Chippers are on full-circle plates, both the four 1/8” the 1/16” one. That’s a lot of concentric metal mass. The bottom of the dado is grooved, but the router plane makes short work of flattening it out.

No one ever mentions these.

SystiMatic, as a brand, was discontinued over a decade ago. Probably why no one mentions them.

Stephen Bandirola
09-15-2023, 12:28 PM
I use the Freud Dial a Width, really easy to get exact width without messing around with shims. Also nice clean cut.

Ruperto Mendiones
09-15-2023, 1:19 PM
Forrest Dado King. Slightly OT I lost a tooth in a sawstop stop block. Forrest was able to repair the tooth and re-grind the set. works like new

Bob Jones 5443
09-15-2023, 4:28 PM
That explains it. Glad I got one before then.

Are there any current models with full-circle chippers?

Edward Weber
09-15-2023, 4:38 PM

Oshlun Dado chippers are round

Rich Engelhardt
09-15-2023, 6:01 PM
I have a Freud Sd 206 - which might explain why I prefer to use a router instead of a dado blade.

I also have a Freud box joint blade - which I use a lot more than either the SD 206 or the router.

The box joint blade makes dead flat dados.

Mel Fulks
09-15-2023, 10:53 PM
Dados are delicate. You can’t be clanking them together. You have to align them carefully. Some of them will roll around …like other
unbalanced stuff . I have used masking tape to keep them in place until tightened . In commercial shops there are always at least one
nut-case who wants to set a new world record for speedy set -up . If you can’t abide a minute of tedium, grab a broom and set a new
shop sweep up record.

John Kananis
09-16-2023, 3:44 AM
Ridge Carbide

https://ridgecarbidetool.com/collections/dado-sets/products/8-x-42t-10-hk-8-pc-set-super-dado-master

Rick Potter
09-16-2023, 4:03 AM
Just a reminder....

Someone on an earlier thread noted that SS recommends using a dado set that does not have the safety nibs. I believe he said the stop mechanism works better for some reason.

I never looked in the manual myself, as I have never used the SS for dado's, still use my Unisaw for that.

I do know that my Forrest set has no nibs, and my Freud set has them.

glenn bradley
09-16-2023, 9:33 AM
Forrest Dado King. Slightly OT I lost a tooth in a sawstop stop block. Forrest was able to repair the tooth and re-grind the set. works like new

A good sharpening service can assess and possibly repair the stack you have for a fraction of new. I've run a Freud SD508 and 208 for years. I also have the DeWalt 7670 which does a nice job. I pretty much use the 208 for ply and composites, the 508 for hardwoods and the 7670 as a spare.

Edward Weber
09-16-2023, 11:07 AM
Just a reminder....

Someone on an earlier thread noted that SS recommends using a dado set that does not have the safety nibs. I believe he said the stop mechanism works better for some reason.

I never looked in the manual myself, as I have never used the SS for dado's, still use my Unisaw for that.

I do know that my Forrest set has no nibs, and my Freud set has them.

Nibs? Please explain

I did post a link earlier that Freud has a Dado set that they recommend for SS

Rick Potter
09-17-2023, 2:32 AM
The safety bumps behind the teeth. They probably have a given name though.

Edward Weber
09-17-2023, 10:36 AM
Thats what I though, I wanted to be sure
thanks

Rick Potter
09-17-2023, 12:02 PM
CORRECTION:

You made me go back and read the manual.

On page 29 it says sawblades with 'safety shoulders' may cause the blade to stop a little slower and they recommend using standard blades.

It could NOT find anything about the safety shoulders on dado blades.

My manual is dated 2012.

tim walker
09-17-2023, 1:21 PM
I am wondering if SawStop would give approval to this since it is full diameter blades internally? I know on some they do not because the inertia created when the brake slams can cause the arbor to bend or warp.

Edward Weber
09-17-2023, 4:32 PM
CORRECTION:

You made me go back and read the manual.

On page 29 it says sawblades with 'safety shoulders' may cause the blade to stop a little slower and they recommend using standard blades.

It could NOT find anything about the safety shoulders on dado blades.

My manual is dated 2012.

This is what Freud says of their Pro Dado set (no safety shoulders)
https://www.freudtools.com/products/SD208S

"Optimized blade design for premium performance on all safety brake equipped and underpowered saws including Saw Stop, Jet, Dewalt, Bosch, and more."

Interesting what the safety shoulders do that the brake mechanism doesn't react well to

Rick Potter
09-17-2023, 5:21 PM
Check the Q&A on that site. The first Q covers the SS question.

Edward Weber
09-18-2023, 11:16 AM
Check the Q&A on that site. The first Q covers the SS question.

All it says is:
"Hello! Thank you so much for the question. The SD208S was updated to be compatible with sawstop. Otherwise, they are essentially the same."

Not really very insightful

Michael Drew
09-19-2023, 1:03 PM
Infinity Dadonator. I loved this set. I bought mine before they also had the set with the gauging tool and storage box, but that makes it an even better set. https://www.infinitytools.com/dadonator-dado-saw-blade-sets