PDA

View Full Version : Router collet extension

Gordon Stump
09-13-2023, 6:15 PM
Any recommendations for a 1/2" collet extension? I like the Infinity Extreme but for the price I was hoping for a "Made in USA" makers mark. Lots of 2 wrench extensions in the $13-$25 range. The Infinity is around $70. It uses a single Allen wrench and some kind of locking set screw. Would that put a ding in the shafts? Probably a wider soft metal end on set screw, no? Any experience would be greatly appreciated.

Bruce Page
09-14-2023, 12:15 AM
I use a Muscle Chuck in my table. It uses a locking set screw like the Infinity. It clamps the bit shaft with no screw to shaft contact.

Dave VanDewerker
09-14-2023, 1:58 PM
I have used this one when I need to use an extension, which is not very often so I don't mind using two wrenches
https://www.hvalleytools.com/product/v415-0660-mlcs-router-collet-extension/router-accessories

Gordon Stump
09-14-2023, 6:47 PM
I scoured the Infinity Tools website for a Made in USA declaration. I could not find it. I ordered the Infinity Extreme collet extender and low and behold the sticker on the box and the card in the plastic says "Made in USA" So I apologize. The extender is pretty solid. They should engrave their makers mark on the darn thing.

Richard Coers
09-14-2023, 7:02 PM
That piece of hardware is no place to cheap out. Hanging the cutter that far from the bottom bearing in the router is asking for a disaster. That extension better be darned good so you don't un wearing it in your gut! Curious if those things shorten the life of the bearings? Can't be good or the engineers that designed the router would offer them as an accessory.

roger wiegand
09-14-2023, 7:26 PM
If my cutter is getting more than 2-3" beyond the bottom of the router I want a shaft a lot bigger than 1/2". Time to move over to the shaper! I've got one 3" long router bit and it vibrates more than I'm happy with.

Gordon Stump
09-14-2023, 7:42 PM
The Infinity Extreme collet extender is a fine precision product made in the USA. After installing and running the router it scared the crap out of me. I am returning it. Thanks for the responses.

Mike Wilkins
09-15-2023, 11:26 PM
Not to be a downer here, but unless you need to cut a really deep cut, I would not feel safe using an extension to hold a piece of metal spinning at insane speeds. I was going to buy one several years ago but the sales person talked me out of it, stating it is hard to get runout eliminated.
My opinion is they were invented before router lifts came onto market to increase cutting depth.
Buyer beware.

Bill Dufour
09-16-2023, 12:52 AM
You really need to add an outboard bearing arm to support a longer bit. At that point just get a shaper with a decent diameter spindle.
BilL D

Tom Trees
09-23-2023, 6:43 AM
Not seen one of those Bill, is there an off the shelf thing to have a gawk at?

Tom