PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking terms that you have coined

Cameron Wood
09-13-2023, 1:23 PM
Many years ago I made kitchen cabinets. Having had the infuriating experience, as you've probably had as well, of reaching into a face frame cabinet and raking the skin off the back of my hand on the sharp inside FF edge, I make sure that my work doesn't cause this.

I call it friendling the edges i.e. to make friendly.

What terms have you come up with?

Brian Tymchak
09-13-2023, 1:38 PM
I think the TOS prevents me from sharing any that I've come up with.... ;)

Steve Jenkins
09-13-2023, 2:07 PM
Not just woodworking. “You’ve got be smarter than what you’re working with “

Edward Weber
09-13-2023, 2:18 PM
Squond
This is mostly used when turning and easing off corners of a square blank until it's neither square or round.
Bruising
This is a turning term when you compress the fibers with the heel of the gouge (when making an inside cut mostly) and leave a mark or indentation.
There are more but as you can tell, I was at the lathe, so this is what popped into my head

Rich Engelhardt
09-13-2023, 3:02 PM
Not mine and only sounds like it might be wood related - - my brother used to refer to what the dog left in the yard on cold mornings as - steam logs.

George Yetka
09-13-2023, 3:28 PM
Not just woodworking. “You’ve got be smarter than what you’re working with “

A foreman I had would say "you should be 2x smarter than the tool your working with". The rest of his sayings are good but not PC.

Michael Burnside
09-13-2023, 5:33 PM
"I'm always a maker; the worst thing that I could be building is firewood."

Tom Bender
09-18-2023, 6:45 PM
Microsteaming is steaming small parts in the microwave oven.

mike calabrese
09-18-2023, 11:31 PM
FOR-NI-WOOD-I-CATION
phoneticly....... for- nee-wood- i- cation
Definition
An unecpected dramatic reduction in the quality of a woodworking project personified by an idiot using tools.

calabrese55