PDA

View Full Version : Just a quick post....

Bill White
02-02-2006, 11:28 AM
Anybody know anything about BAY STATE SAW WORKS? I have a 7tpi handsaw from them, bought it cheap at a flea mkt. Cleaned it up, and I use it from time to time. JKust wonderin' if it is a real bargain or just a good saw. TIA.

Mike Wenzloff
02-02-2006, 11:37 AM
Seems there's a lot of this going around!

From just yesterday on the Old Tools list:

"Yes, I can answer your question. Bay State Mfg. Co. was a small start-up business in downtown Fitchburg, on Newton's Lane, for about 18 months between 1869 and 1871 - they weren't around long!

Anyway, within a few years of starting to make hand saws in 1901, Simonds offered a lower quality/lower priced range under the Bay State Mfg label. I don't know if they actually bought out Bay State in 1871, or just assumed the label when they needed it in the early 1900's, but this was their B-grade brand.

By the teens, they had yet a third quality level - the so called Indian brands, named after famous Indian chiefs. I believe they offered the three levels in order to compete with powerhouse Disston, who had by that time acquired so many other manufacturers and the fact that they too offered different quality/price levels."

Not my answer--I didn't know anything about them nor their history. And there's a slight difference in the maker's name. Maybe the same, maybe not.

Take care, Mike