PDA

View Full Version : A little Rust Hunting

Rob Luter
09-10-2023, 11:53 AM
We were traveling downstate to decompress a little bit and stopped by one of our favorite antique malls in Edinburg, IN. I've always been able to find an item or two. On this trip I scored a couple Chicago made Jorgensen Screw Clamps. A #3/0 and an #0. These small sizes are handy. It's tough to find US made versions any more.

A real surprise was a bunch of Bishop Convertible Backsaws like the one below. That one I found in the wild (and later sold) was the only one I'd ever seen. There were four of them hanging on the wall and a couple different sizes, all a little grimy but mostly free of any rust. All were suitable for restoration. I resisted. Since the great tool purge of 2019 I vowed to only buy things I would use. I never used the first one I had. There was also a nice little Stanley #2. It was cute but priced so high that a new Lie Nielsen would be just a few more dollars. No contest.

Jim Koepke
09-10-2023, 2:56 PM
On this trip I scored a couple Chicago made Jorgensen Screw Clamps. A #3/0 and an #0.

I'm a sucker for small clamps if they are in pairs. They come in handy often.

A real surprise was a bunch of Bishop Convertible Backsaws like the one below.

The Bishop Convertible Backsaw is my favorite when making repeated cuts to a set depth, like when cutting dovetails or making saw horses.

jtk

David Zor
09-13-2023, 11:48 AM
Where are the models marked on the jorgensen clamps? I accidentally bought a jet jointer last night and grabbed a couple medium size hand clamps for another $5. Trying to figure out the model.

edit: stamped in the butt of each jaw. Just hard to see.