PDA

View Full Version : Danish oil

Rich Stewart
02-02-2006, 10:40 AM
Hi guys, I have a couple questions about some danish oil I have. I put it in a tupperware type container (maybe airtight, maybe not) a few weeks ago and when I opened it recently it had turned to an almost gel substance with the consistiency of honey. I am assuming something evaporated. So what is this new substance? Is it any good for anything and if so, what? Can it be reconstituted? I put a chunk of wood in it and other than being a mess it acted pretty much the same as when it was liquid. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Rich

Gary Max
02-02-2006, 11:25 AM
I would try to thin it first----mineral spirits????
Then see what it looks like---if it will blend with the mineral spirits I would use it. But if it is lumpey and does not mix well I wouldn't use it.

John Hart
02-02-2006, 11:49 AM
My first question is, "What did it taste like?" Maybe someone switched your oil with honey? I think a taste test is in order.

Ok ok....not a lot of sleep last night. I need a nap.:rolleyes:

Gary Max
02-02-2006, 12:19 PM
John they could of put the Danish in the oil????????????

Lou Morrissette
02-02-2006, 1:16 PM
Rich,

I had the same thing happen when I stored a mixture of BLO and mineral spirits in a tupperware container. I think the mineral spirits evaporated. I've since used airtight containers with no problem.

Lou