PDA

View Full Version : Living close to the source

Kevin Jenness
09-07-2023, 9:30 PM
I wish I had my camera today, but I'll try to make do with words. I went over to my son's shop this morning to finish off some carved lettering on a timber gate to find one of his crew pressure washing and peeling bark off a big spruce stump. They are going to repair a covered bridge in a nearby town next week and need to make some new knee braces. Apparently the original transverse braces have been sheared off by box trucks over the years and replaced with grown knees for better clearance, and even those have been whacked and need to be renewed. Anyway, there stood the stump with four big roots splayed out like a starfish, ready to be diced up with a chainsaw and then slabbed on the bandmill. Our logger friend Nirmegh had found it and Miles had taken the excavator a mile up the road to dig around and pull down the tree, then load the stump on the flatbed and bring it down to the shop. Honest to God, it's like living in a dream here- on the good days. We try not to talk too much about the bad ones.

Greg Quenneville
09-07-2023, 10:56 PM
One if my all-time favourite places on the planet.