PDA

View Full Version : Morse taper to thread problem

Quinn McCarthy
02-02-2006, 9:58 AM
The indexing attachment for my lathe only lets you use a #2 morse taper drive center for spindle turning. Which means I can't use my Oneway chuck. I was wondering if there is a way to go from #2 morse taper to 1 1/4x8 thread. Has anybody seen something like this? I tried googling but I don't even know what to call it. Thanks!

Steve Clardy
02-02-2006, 10:12 AM
I've been known to ocasionally visit my local machine shop to get things like that taken care of.

Joe Melton
02-02-2006, 1:48 PM
These people might have a solution:
http://tinyurl.com/92lzl
Joe

Quinn McCarthy
02-02-2006, 2:50 PM
Thanks Joe

They had exactly what I wanted. It's ordered and on the way.

Lloyd Frisbee
02-02-2006, 3:40 PM
Make sure you use a draw bar or threaded rod to keep the it in the head stock. Otherwise you would have to keep the tailstock in contact with your project.

Brad Schmid
02-02-2006, 4:32 PM
Right, what Lloyd said...

And, make sure it's all steel. Some of the ones made for the tailstock for centering your chuck are not designed for the rigors of turning. The threaded piece is sometimes made of aluminum...

Quinn McCarthy
02-02-2006, 4:48 PM
How does the treaded rod or drawbar work?

Lloyd Frisbee
02-02-2006, 4:57 PM
One end get threaded into the narrow end of the morse taper then it goes through the center of the head stock and out the other end. On that end (handwheel end if applicable) you will put a washer and nut and tighten enough to snug the morse taper into the headstock spindle. NOT TOO TIGHT. It just needs to hold the taper in snug.

BTW. The one from Bestwood tools says the threaded portion is aluminum with a steel taper. As Brad said above, it may not take the abuse required. Did you tell them what you will be doing before you ordered it? Also the picture looks like it will not accomodate a drawbar. A machinist may be a better option as stated above also.

Quinn McCarthy
02-02-2006, 5:20 PM
Well I cancelled the order. I still need to find something on that line except all steel. I am in the middle of nowhere. We probably don't have a machine shop within about 100 miles.

Brad Schmid
02-02-2006, 9:34 PM
Quinn,

The more I think about this, I think it might be wise to reconsider your indexing attachment. I know I wouldn't feel comfortable myself trying to spin my Stronghold chuck and a large blank on a morse taper, even with a draw bolt. There's just too much mass there.

You don't mention what lathe or indexing attachment you have, but maybe if you post pictures or describe what you have, and describe your intended use, the gang here can make a better/safer recommendation.

You might consider making you own indexing wheel that mounts behind the chuck, or on the handwheel side of the headstock.

Quinn McCarthy
02-03-2006, 9:22 AM
Brad

I have a Vega 1553 lathe and I have their indexing attachment. It's pretty simple. It's just a face plate that gets threaded on the headstock and it has dimples on the back of the plate. There is a locking pin that mounts to the head. The way they have it set up is the face plate has a #2 morse taper in the center of the plate for a regular spur drive to fit into. I was planning of using the indexing head for leg and column reeding and fluting as well as dovetailing table bases. I was hoping that I could use the chuck for holding legs that the spur drive couldn't or that had finished ends that you wouldn't want to bring the tail stock up to. I have only been turning for about a year so if you see anything out of whack with my thinking just let me know. My main focus is turning for furniture and other millwork however I do turn a few bowls.

Thanks

Brad Schmid
02-03-2006, 10:28 AM
Hi Quinn,

Ahh, I understand your intended use now, and how the indexing attachment works... My indexing pin system is built integral to the headstock...

So I guess your main concern is that a 2 or 4 prong drive center doesn't have enough holding power, or maybe your afraid that they might split the spindle when seated for enough holding power? One solution to this is a good stebcenter with a springloaded center pin.

If I interpreted correctly, it doesn't seem by your comments that you would actually be doing the turning itself with the chuck, just holding the work while doing the fluting/reeding/dovetailing operation? If so, I think the aluminum threaded tailstock adapter would be fine for this.

As far as bringing the tailstock up to a finished end, you can probably get creative here by using a cup center with padding on the tailstock end to avoid damage (i'm picturing a table leg here).

Of course, you could always make a homemade indexing wheel that will allow you to use your spindle in any configuration you want. I know I've seen some folks post these several times before and they were simple to make, and cheap.

Good luck.
Cheers,
Brad

Quinn McCarthy
02-05-2006, 12:47 PM
Thanks Brad for all of your advice. You are right as long as I don't put a load on that adapter I should be O.K. I like your idea of using the cup on the tail stock for legs with a finished bottom. I was looking at my indexing attachment as well and am trying to figure out how to move it to the out board side. All I have to do is find a place to mount the indexing spring loaded pin. Also I will check out the spring loaded steb centers you mentioned.

Andy Hoyt
02-05-2006, 12:55 PM
Quinn - Would this work?

http://www.oneway.on.ca/chucks/screw_chuck.htm

Brad Schmid
02-06-2006, 9:54 AM
Quinn,

I've seen guys mount index pins by drilling and tapping the headstock in the appropriate place for a mounting bracket. I'm not familiar at all with your Vega, but the Jets and PM's have a ton of cast iron to do this with, maybe yours does too.

Please post pic's if you can when you figure it out. I'd like to see it.
Cheers.