PDA

View Full Version : What is your least favorite furniture design trend?

Mike Mason
09-07-2023, 10:29 AM
I don't exactly know why, but over time I have developed a dislike for live edge tables, in particular "river tables". Years ago, I did make and sell in a gallery a live edge bench (not just a slab bolted onto steel hairpin legs, but at least incorporating dovetail joinery), and I had purchased several other slabs before it became popular and the prices increased (I subsequently sold them at a small profit), but after making one thing out of a live edge slab, I decided I was moving on. It seems that this trend is everywhere (look on craigslist and see how many backyard lumber mills are offering such slabs), and I can't see it lasting except maybe in rustic, log-cabin style homes. It has even spawned those boutique woodworking accessory manufacturers to market things like expensive framework that you can use with your router to semi-flatten a live edge slab. It's probably just a matter of time before IKEA offers a particle board live edge slab table.

Am I alone in this feeling?

Are there other current design trends (like the reincarnation of MCM chrome and Formica dinette sets) that you really don't like?

I do have to give credit to those backyard lumber mills that are now successfully selling slab wood lumber that in prior years would have been, in most cases, worthless except as firewood (or for Door County fish boils).

Frank Pratt
09-07-2023, 10:40 AM
Live edge furniture that would be more suited to the fire pit. And 2X if it's incorporates river pour.

James Jayko
09-07-2023, 10:48 AM
Live edge stuff is wildly overdone, but can be / has been cool. Epoxy on everything is...a hate crime. River tables are the worst. I mean, if you want tacky furniture in your house, more power to you. But when you're in a shared shop and someone takes up the ENTIRE glue up area to make a river table (and it takes 3 days to get it moved along), I lose my mind. The only thing worse is the guy who's sloppy with epoxy and gets it everywhere.

So I guess...I'm with you all the way.

George Yetka
09-07-2023, 11:00 AM
It depends. Blacktail studio uses some impressive slabs and his pours in black do not offend me. I agree with you for most other situations

What offends me more than anything is particle board kitchen tables that cost 1,000s of dollars that you cant leave water on for more than 30 seconds or they soak in the water. If they were $500 I could see it.

Edward Weber
09-07-2023, 11:05 AM
Live edge stuff is wildly overdone, but can be / has been cool. Epoxy on everything is...a hate crime. River tables are the worst. I mean, if you want tacky furniture in your house, more power to you. But when you're in a shared shop and someone takes up the ENTIRE glue up area to make a river table (and it takes 3 days to get it moved along), I lose my mind. The only thing worse is the guy who's sloppy with epoxy and gets it everywhere.

So I guess...I'm with you all the way.
+1 on all of the above.
Live edge furniture is fine, I like Nakashima style, (done by Nakashima:rolleyes:)

That said, these days people are just lazy. There really is no woodworking involved. Cover it in plastic and screw metal legs to it, Look, I'm a maker, but I digress.
Also not a fan of chrome and glass or painted wood furniture

JMO, there's plenty of this stuff out there, someone must like it

andrew whicker
09-07-2023, 11:14 AM
Live edge can be neat. I'm not anti live edge.

The epoxy is way overkill. I can't believe how well it is still selling. I thought that trend was going to be dead in a few years. Personally, I cringe at it from an environmental perspective. I'm not sure what it takes to create all that epoxy goo, but I'm betting it isn't kumbaya and roses.

Overall, as I get more into cabinetry, shaker is way overplayed. But from a business perspective, I lucked out that I get to learn on the the simple stuff vs having to learn right away on cathedral style stain grade cabinet doors. I just think in general we are going down a "too simplified and too clean" design pattern. I'm sure it will change soon. I do like the Euro style more than the old American face frame with huge reveals. Maybe something in between is the next step.

Another other odd thing that is happening / has happened is the clear coat plywood finish on kitchen cabs. I think that is cool in a limited sort of way, but if you read Dwell magazine you see wealthy homeowners doing it all the time. That and very square houses with huge windows.

I just think people are either bad at tapping into their imagination / creativity OR they just truly don't care and are happy with whatever trend is being sold to them. Right now, it seems to me that builders are deciding what is cool and that pushes the market to make everything square as possible (the house itself, windows, cabinets, trim, furniture, etc). Or, in the woodworking realm, you have CNC builders "pushing the boundaries", but not in a very exciting way. Think fold up furniture or clear coat Baltic birch built ins, etc.

Jesse Brown
09-07-2023, 11:23 AM
I'm not bothered by what people do with their own time and money, but for my taste, any trendy technique that is done without thought to overall design is my least favorite. Live edge, epoxy, kumiko, tensegrity, "patterned" plywood, Dutchman repairs, etc. are all valid techniques that are frequently misapplied IMHO.

Michael Burnside
09-07-2023, 11:28 AM
I like pretty much any woodworking technique/style, but I'd say my least favorite is anything that is covered in epoxy. Not to be confused with epoxy inlays, which can be tasteful. For me, all manner of natural flies out the window when wood, regardless of how beautiful it is, becomes entirely encapsulated in plastic. The "river" just makes it that much worse. Not to mention the environmental impact and waste it creates doing such things.

Stan Calow
09-07-2023, 11:31 AM
I blame Andy Rooney (a bona fide woodworker) for the live edge and Dutchman-tied desk he would show off on 60 Minutes every week. I dislike them and river tables. Also waterfall tables. But I'd make them all if I someone was willing to buy them.

Richard Coers
09-07-2023, 11:34 AM
Pallet wood furniture.

John Kananis
09-07-2023, 11:35 AM
I'm pretty much in the same boat as most here. I have nothing against live edge when it's done properly. But, I'd like to set fire to all the epoxy-pour tables in the world. I feel it's destructive and irresponsible. Not a single one of these river tables will ever make it into a museum because they'll never last long enough. No matter how much "plastic" you use, wood moves... etc etc, sorry for the slight rant.

Andrew More
09-07-2023, 11:49 AM
Skate board plywood - I got a lot of hassle from the skater crowd who were too cool for school, and I've taken this aversion into wood working. Sorry, skating is dumb, your skate board adjacent wood working project isn't any cooler for it.
Bars - Always strikes me as people fetishizing their drug consumption.
Cheap Furniture at High Prices - Sorta the anti-Ikea effect. You get these poorly constructed pieces that are selling on design for $$$$$. I hate trendy stuff, and people getting ripped off. Ikea at least has the decency to be cheap with their cheap furniture.

In defense of live edge, I've always just looked at it as trying to get more utility out of the wood by using a part that would get cut off in times when trees were more plentiful. That having been said, it's definitely overdone.

Bill Dufour
09-07-2023, 12:33 PM
The old lodge pole peeled pine rustic furniture. Surface is too rough to keep clean. no pads on feet so it will scar up floor. hacked joint holes and hatchet to make tennons.
Epoxy free, the choice for me.
Bill D

Cameron Wood
09-07-2023, 12:46 PM
I never much liked redwood burl stuff, and I lived in the thick of the time & place of it. Whatever is disliked about live-edge & epoxy coated was 10X more.

Some of the industrial/crude things are really offensive- steel I beams sticking out dangerously and such. A tally of emergency room visits caused could be carved in.

High strung art furniture doesn't do much for me- suitable for a gallery but for actual use.

Phillip Mitchell
09-07-2023, 1:17 PM
Crucify me or whatever, but I cannot really stand ornate, Anglo period furniture. I realize that was more like an era and less of a trend, so to speak…Queen Anne, Georgian, Victorian, etc. Tends to make me want to vomit due to overstimulation.

Shaker passes the test for me, Japanese/Chinese, and early/simpler Arts and Crafts is good. Scandinavian is among the top of the heap, imo. Nakashima was good at what he did and I wish live edge had just stopped somewhere in that realm. Most mainstream trends are so diluted now, live edge/epoxy tables included, that it’s hard to really get behind any of them unless the intent and inspiration is more pure and educated.

Ok, I’ll go back in my cave now.

Edward Weber
09-07-2023, 1:18 PM
Another "trend" that has been overdone IMO is Yakisugi or Shou Sugi Ban.

A traditional process for creating a durable waterproof finish for exterior siding. Now people are breaking out the torch and burning everything.
I like the look of it on a cabin or other wood sided structure but it's really not for tables and chairs or anything that isn't fast enough to escape the flames.

andrew whicker
09-07-2023, 1:45 PM
Crucify me or whatever, but I cannot really stand ornate, Anglo period furniture. I realize that was more like an era and less of a trend, so to speak…Queen Anne, Georgian, Victorian, etc. Tends to make me want to vomit due to overstimulation.

Shaker passes the test for me, Japanese/Chinese, and early/simpler Arts and Crafts is good. Scandinavian is among the top of the heap, imo. Nakashima was good at what he did and I wish live edge had just stopped somewhere in that realm. Most mainstream trends are so diluted now, live edge/epoxy tables included, that it’s hard to really get behind any of them unless the intent and inspiration is more pure and educated.

Ok, I’ll go back in my cave now.

Art Nouveau?

Victorian couches? Come on, everyone loves the Victorian chaise.... : )

Jim Becker
09-07-2023, 2:25 PM
For me, it's not about the "design trend" for aesthetics. I can appreciate just about any style in the right setting. Some are obviously going to be more appealing to me than others. That's normal.

What I don't like is shoddy implementation/craftsmanship. Even mass produced furniture can be just fine if it's made thoughtfully. Using Ikea as an example, there are some really good products they sell and some really crappy products that they sell. As George mentioned above, I find most of what Cam at Blacktail produces to be appealing because of how well he features the wood. Same for FourEyes and Shawn Boyd who's been part of that for a long time...the design and methodology...both for MCM and slab-based. I absolutely agree that taking some random piece of live edge material and slapping metal hairpin legs on it doesn't not make appealing furniture. (despite the fact that I did use those legs on a quick and dirty melamine desk for my daughter to fit in a specific place in her apartment)

Now what I've built for myself tends to be Shaker/Moser and Nakashima influenced, but I've done a very limited look at MCM, both because of the request and because the potential for interesting joinery is appealing.

George Yetka
09-07-2023, 3:10 PM
Pallet wood furniture.

Not my style either but I dont fault anyone using it. Wood is expensive. I dont think people should be buying this at restoration hardware though

chuck van dyck
09-07-2023, 3:30 PM
I agree with a what Jim said above.

But what I dislike the most is any trend that results in craftsmen undercutting each other and making shotty versions of classic work. The fact that the term live edge makes people think Nakashima is so sad. For one, I believe he used the term free edge. For two, he was involved in the miller of his slabs and chose how the tree was used. He didn’t shop for slabs, he bought trees and had them milled to his specifications. Now just dimensionally but through analysis of how a particular growth feature may represent ib grain pattern if cut at certain angles and what not. Its just not the same thing. This dummification comes from years of conditioning. That trend isn’t even that old compared to the modern studio furniture movement. Heck, Nakashima is smack in the middle of it, he had pieces mass produced by Knoll. It isn’t the style to dislike. Its the methods of production introduced by the inescapable fingers of CAPITALISM. To the above, would you love shaker, stickley, federal, etc if it was mass produced crap? Who here inherited “shaker on shaker” kitchen cab fronts but cant find the time to replace?
There’s nothing to dislike about people expressing themselves through style, but so to hate about how we have been conditioned to like disposable outfits.
Ikea has it’s place, at least it knows what it is at this point.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bill Dufour
09-07-2023, 4:20 PM
I have to mention the Kuba Komet TV highlighting German 1950's minimalist design, I guess. It does not remind me at all of Sweedish modern from the same time . But it is made of wood and over six feet tall.
Bill D

Mike Cutler
09-07-2023, 7:05 PM
What I don't like
1.) Epoxy pour tables are the worst. If you can't joint two boards, go to town with a router, and pour some colored resin in there.
2.) Live edge is okay, if it matches the piece. Live edge, for the sake of live edge, is just lazy.
3.) Anything Hans Wegener designed, or inspired. It reminds me of public elementary school furniture.
4.) Duncan Phyfe style. It gives me the heebies.

What I do like
1.) Green and Green. True replications, and not a miss mash of Green and Green and Mission, A&C, or English A&C.
2.) Eastern European inspired seccesionist, or Art Nouveau. design. Think Jugenstil.

Derek Cohen
09-07-2023, 7:51 PM
I can get along with most styles - even bloody epoxy pours - as long as the proportions and lines of the piece are pleasing to my eye. I react to “photocopies” of styles or where there is mismatched grain, too thick or too thin parts, ill-matched wood combinations (Purpleheart and anything) …. all these jar my senses.

I look for the opposite - proportion, flowing lines, harmonious grain, and complimentary woods.

I prefer simple and “lighter” designs, such as some of the Scandi and much of the Shaker, over ornate designs with intricate and complex mouldings. The former is more relaxing to look at, and to live with. Many think it is easier to do, but make a dogs breakfast of their copies as simple is much more demanding of proportions and content.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Rich Engelhardt
09-07-2023, 8:48 PM
Furniture in my house doesn't have bark on it.

Patty Hann
09-08-2023, 4:31 AM
+1 on all of the above.

Also not a fan of chrome and glass or painted wood furniture

JMO, there's plenty of this stuff out there, someone must like it

My Dad would talk about his Father's second wife (my Pop being an adult at the time, she was not his step-mom... which was a good thing as there was no love lost between them.)
His father would let her buy expensive solid hardwood furniture and "Leona" would immediate set about making plans to paint it. And paint it she did. No wood was allowed to look like wood.
My Dad said of her, "No furniture was safe near her.... She was a terror with a paint brush."

Patty Hann
09-08-2023, 4:45 AM
https://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=507344&d=1694117985

OMG :eek:... George Jetson, call your office.

Brian Runau
09-08-2023, 6:09 AM
Live edge doesn't seem like wood working to me. Brian

Brian Tymchak
09-08-2023, 8:46 AM
I get turned off by decoratively painted furniture. Painted furniture always leaves me with the impression of a cheaply made product. And for the same reason, I'm not a big fan of veneered particle/fiber board anything. Just far more partial to a solid wood product.

glenn bradley
09-08-2023, 9:14 AM
Like a lot of folks, almost anything done well will attract me. Annoying trends might include rustic, recycled, and what I call "Waterbed Warehouse" . . . things made from 2x or pallet wood. I like MCM because I grew up with it. The latest over-doing of it has put me off. Like the latest pop tune it is easy to kill something by blaring it in your face long enough :D. The interesting twist for me are styles I don't really care for but find I really admire the craftsmanship of. Inlay, stringing, Queen Anne, Federal, and some other styles would never find their way into my home but the skill set and execution are captivating. I react the same to a lot of architecture. The design and styling really "wow" me but I wouldn't want to live there :)

Bruce Mack
09-08-2023, 9:45 AM
I have to mention the Kuba Komet TV highlighting German 1950's minimalist design, I guess. It does not remind me at all of Sweedish modern from the same time . But it is made of wood and over six feet tall.
Bill D
Dang, I would love that if we still lived in our NYC loft with 13 foot height ceilings.

Christian Hawkshaw
09-08-2023, 10:34 AM
Like a lot of folks, almost anything done well will attract me. Annoying trends might include rustic, recycled, and what I call "Waterbed Warehouse" . . . things made from 2x or pallet wood. I like MCM because I grew up with it. The latest over-doing of it has put me off. Like the latest pop tune it is easy to kill something by blaring it in your face long enough :D. The interesting twist for me are styles I don't really care for but find I really admire the craftsmanship of. Inlay, stringing, Queen Anne, Federal, and some other styles would never find their way into my home but the skill set and execution are captivating. I react the same to a lot of architecture. The design and styling really "wow" me but I wouldn't want to live there :)

Yes....I have the same thoughts as what I bolded above.

Jim Becker
09-08-2023, 12:09 PM
I'm also with Glenn...consistent with my earlier reply, I love the craftsmanship that goes into the intricate Queen Anne, Federal and other styles, even though they are not "my thing" and wouldn't be appropriate for my own home and use.

Edward Weber
09-08-2023, 12:48 PM
+1 on Glenn's Comment
There is no end to the craftsmanship and construction methods to admire without actually liking the overall look of the piece.

With the exception of river tables, I don't care how well they're done, they're offensive and a hate crime against wood.
JMHO

Frederick Skelly
09-08-2023, 1:01 PM
This is my least favorite. https://a.1stdibscdn.com/george-nakashima-studio-conoid-bench-for-sale-picture-2/f_8474/f_291222921655302367176/2_nik2216_master.jpeg?disable=upscale&auto=webp&quality=60&width=1318

I respect the craftsman, but dislike this design.
But what do I know - it’s being sold for $85,000.

I like this one even less: https://a.1stdibscdn.com/george-nakashima-studio-conoid-bench-signed-mira-nakashima-1992-for-sale-picture-2/f_9137/f_302090021661907382192/IMG_5017_org.jpg?disable=upscale&auto=webp&quality=60&width=1318

Only $64,000

roger wiegand
09-08-2023, 1:25 PM
Serious heresy warning---

For me it is the ubiquitous Krenov or Krenov-inspired cabinet. I don't like the proportions, I don't like the uselessness of the space provided, and I really don't like the pretentiousness and preciousness associated with them. I appreciate the superb woodworking put into many of them, but I'm left asking "Why bother?"

I can forgive the river tables because, for the most part, they know not what they do. And I'm pretty sure I won't need to look at them for the next 50 years.

I'm now prepared to be cast forever from the woodworking community.

Rick Potter
09-08-2023, 1:25 PM
I assume MCM stands for 1950's furniture. When I was a boy in the early 50's, my parents bought new end tables, coffee table, and a bedroom set, all done in the 'Modern' style popular at the time. It was then advertised as 'Swedish', and was all simple designed furniture that looks a bit like Ikea does now. It was birch(?) veneer, finished in whitewashed varnish, and very spartan looking.

I still remember it in our knotty pine paneled living room, with the new sectional sofa and cotton rugs. At that time, the house was full of what was called 'Colonial' furniture, which was heavy, maple finished furniture with lots of turned legs.

When I married, we ended up with the sectional sofa and bedroom set in our house. It was accompanied by any other 'Colonial' or 'Early American' furniture relatives wanted to donate, and remained there for over 10 years until we could afford to upgrade. Our house is still basically 'Early American' but I guess my favorite style is 'Early Salvation Army'.

Now, the 'Modern' bedroom set is at our desert cabin.

Mel Fulks
09-08-2023, 1:46 PM
With “pallet furniture” , it’s easy to make something unpalletable but always welcome in the fire place. Think it might have debuted at
Woodstock .

Patty Hann
09-08-2023, 2:00 PM
All this talk about river tables....

About 5 years ago I was talking with my financial advisor.
One thing we were discussing for budgeting considerations was the "hobbies" expense.
I mentioned (along with astronomy) the woodworking classes I was taking and the associated expenses.

His immediate (and very excited) response was, " Do you make River Tables?!"
Me: "No. Never."
Him: "Why not?"
Me: "Not going there. Just 'No'. "
He was disappointed, to say the least.

James Jayko
09-08-2023, 2:02 PM
Can we throw "TV installed over the fireplace" here? I know it ain't furniture but its pretty awful.

Patty Hann
09-08-2023, 2:02 PM
can we throw "tv installed over the fireplace" here? I know it ain't furniture but its pretty awful.

^^^^ this ^^^^

Mike Mason
09-08-2023, 3:48 PM
Can we throw "TV installed over the fireplace" here? I know it ain't furniture but its pretty awful.

Beyond the aesthetics, it puts the tv at a height that requires you to crane your neck to watch it, and the heat from the fireplace isn't good for the electronics either (the rule of thumb I've always heard is that a 10 degree F increase in operating temperature results in the life of the electronics being cut in half). Unfortunately, some open concept homes don't allow for locating a tv anywhere else in the family room/great room, as they only have two walls, one being the fireplace wall, the other a wall of windows.

Bill Dufour
09-08-2023, 4:12 PM
I assume it is black and white. it includes a High Fi. No eight track yet.
Bill D

Edward Weber
09-08-2023, 5:14 PM
Bill D
I think if you had a room full of Wharton Esherick furniture, it would be right at home.

Myles Moran
09-08-2023, 5:22 PM
I'm also with Glenn...consistent with my earlier reply, I love the craftsmanship that goes into the intricate Queen Anne, Federal and other styles, even though they are not "my thing" and wouldn't be appropriate for my own home and use.

This is the logic as to why I like having painted trim in my house and want tile in the kitchen instead of hardwood. There's a limit on the amount of wood and the amount of design you can put in before I think it's too much. I'd rather that be furniture I've built instead of trim work. I've seen wood finished cabinets with hardwood floors and a nice kitchen table, and while they're all good on their own, put together it's a lot of stuff that doesn't always work well together.

Christian Hawkshaw
09-08-2023, 6:53 PM

Yep....when we had our house built in 1998, we opted not to have a fireplace at all as the wall it went on was the best location for the TV. Since we live in Florida, a fireplace is just a form of decoration anyway.

Edwin Santos
09-08-2023, 9:44 PM

Job security for a PT who treats neck pain

Jim Becker
09-09-2023, 9:49 AM
I assume MCM stands for 1950's furniture.
Mid Century Modern, so yes, that time frame comes into play as well as Danish influences.

John TenEyck
09-09-2023, 10:34 AM
Beyond the aesthetics, it puts the tv at a height that requires you to crane your neck to watch it, and the heat from the fireplace isn't good for the electronics either (the rule of thumb I've always heard is that a 10 degree F increase in operating temperature results in the life of the electronics being cut in half). Unfortunately, some open concept homes don't allow for locating a tv anywhere else in the family room/great room, as they only have two walls, one being the fireplace wall, the other a wall of windows.

Not for the many who like to lean back in their recliners. Don't forget the cupholders in the arms, too. Now there's a trend I absolutely hate. How about a fridge underneath? Maybe I've just given the designers a new idea.

John

Michael Burnside
09-10-2023, 1:49 PM
This is the logic as to why I like having painted trim in my house and want tile in the kitchen instead of hardwood. There's a limit on the amount of wood and the amount of design you can put in before I think it's too much. I'd rather that be furniture I've built instead of trim work. I've seen wood finished cabinets with hardwood floors and a nice kitchen table, and while they're all good on their own, put together it's a lot of stuff that doesn't always work well together.

I agree too much wood is overdone. I’ve seen houses where it looks kind wood barfed all over the house.

I would never give up my quarter sawn, white oak floors but in our kitchen we did a light grey paint on the main cabinets and complemented with white oak stained a chocolate color. I think a little variety goes a long way.

Stephen Rosenthal
09-12-2023, 2:25 PM
IKEA (10 characters).

Jim Dwight
09-13-2023, 8:26 AM
I am retired and volunteer at my church on Mondays. For a few weeks my assigned task was to assemble some knock down furniture. Mainly desks. The old desk we removed in one case I remember well was mahogany. I think it was real mahogany and not luan. But it had been repaired badly and I understand why it was being replaced (although I think I could have fixed it well). The replacement was particle board with a thin vinyl wrap that admittedly looked decent but the construction is so poor it won't last 10 years IMHO. In addition, the instructions are terrible with no pictures, only poor sketches, and very few words. The simple desk was OK, the much more complex one that replaced the mahogany one was terrible to put together. Many, many pieces without adequate instructions.

Anything made of particle board deserves to go into the dumpster. I paid the extra fee for my kitchen cabinets to use all plywood boxes with solid wood fronts. As I'm typing this I started to think about the two bathroom cabinets I did not make. I guess I don't really know what they are made of. Might be time to get started on replacements.

Rick Potter
09-14-2023, 2:49 AM
Back in the 60's when we had 'early Salvation Army' style furniture, we bought a new particle board credenza with sliding doors for $29 at Thrifty Drug Store. Once assembled, it lasted over 20 years in our house, and then I took it apart and made a shelving unit for the garage out of the pieces, which lasted at least 15 years longer.

Just because it is junk doesn't mean it won't last..it was our first piece of 'new' furniture, and we remember it fondly.

YMMV

Don Corbeil
02-07-2024, 2:29 PM
My least favorite has to be pallet wood furniture. I get the appeal due to its recycling nature and the rustic vibe it can impart, but it's not just my cup of tea. While I'm all for creative and sustainable design, I think furniture pieces must be comfortable, durable, and fit the space well. Pallet furniture often lacks in these areas, at least from my experience.
I am drawn more to modern and sleek designs. The Alex Collection from What A Room (https://whataroom.com/) is the perfect example of that. I got a sofa from this collection in my living room, and I love its clean lines and thoughtful design that combine form and function. Not only is it a visual delight, but the comfort level is great.

Jimmy Harris
02-07-2024, 4:40 PM
There's a place for everything, and everything has its place. I don't necessarily dislike any particular design trend, but I do dislike most design executions. It's like furniture has a long history of the maker incorporated a bunch of ideas without ever asking "why" they were incorporating those ideas. It's almost like they weren't creating furniture but were creating excuses to use fancy tools or show off their skills. Just no regard for actual design or function. So there's about 98% more furniture out there that I don't like than I do.

But if I had to pick a style or design trend that I liked the least, it's probably Mannerism. You bought a lathe and a set of carving chisels. I get it! You don't have to poke me in the eye!

glenn bradley
02-07-2024, 5:56 PM
Agreeing with the idea that trends are not bad in and unto themselves. Bikinis, Mini-skirts, pineapple cuts, Members-Only Jackets, and Lucchese boots were all very cool during their "trend window". Some survived, some did not. Mid-Century-Modern, Rustic, Reclaimed, Queen Anne, all have a cold place in my heart. MCM because I grew up with it. Probably the same reason I prefer not to use red oak or birch. Curlicues, swam-necks, and excessive fluting all live in the "I'd rather not" box in my brain.

I was lucky enough to be raised by a couple who took the kids on Sunday drives just to go look at house and building architecture, historic sites in the area, sculpture in the park, or the latest interactive display at the Science and Industry Museum. End result is that I have a wide range of things that I like. Over time I have also learned that I like some of them more than others. I also learned that there are more people who have a different opinion than mine than there are people who share mine and that's OK. Keeps ya humble . . . :)

Ron Selzer
02-07-2024, 7:37 PM
"I also learned that there are more people who have a different opinion than mine than there are people who share mine and that's OK"

Keeps things from being so boring, especially when you find that rare gem that YOU like
Ron

Josko Catipovic
02-08-2024, 1:02 AM
Somewhere along the line, folks in the (NE, at least) US have lost the goal of making their living spaces as intimate and beautiful as they can be. I'm in Europe this winter and am really awed at how important art is here. Folks live in small spaces, by US standards, and they are not wealthy, but there is something breathtaking when you walk into a space where furniture was not an afterthought. 'People' mag wants us to think 'interior decorating' is something Hollywood megastars do, but it doesn't have to be ostentatious or expensive. It just takes a different frame of mind.
Then it just becomes a question of: what am I trying to accomplish with this space? and does this particular piece fit with that goal? I just saw a juxtaposition of Secession and post-modern steel in a restored Venetian cottage that took my breath away. Didn't take a lot of money, but the owners had a gift...

I guess my point is that saying 'I don't like X' is hollow without understanding the space it's intended for.

Frederick Skelly
02-08-2024, 8:16 AM
Somewhere along the line, folks in the (NE, at least) US have lost the goal of making their living spaces as intimate and beautiful as they can be. I'm in Europe this winter and am really awed at how important art is here. Folks live in small spaces, by US standards, and they are not wealthy, but there is something breathtaking when you walk into a space where furniture was not an afterthought. 'People' mag wants us to think 'interior decorating' is something Hollywood megastars do, but it doesn't have to be ostentatious or expensive. It just takes a different frame of mind.
Then it just becomes a question of: what am I trying to accomplish with this space? and does this particular piece fit with that goal? I just saw a juxtaposition of Secession and post-modern steel in a restored Venetian cottage that took my breath away. Didn't take a lot of money, but the owners had a gift...

Thanks. I enjoyed your observations here. I think I’ll see if I can locate a book or online images of what you’re describing. Enjoy your visit!
Fred

Tom M King
02-08-2024, 8:20 AM
Anything after early 20th Century, but absolute least favorite would be river tables.

Bryan Cramer
02-08-2024, 9:20 AM
I mostly agree with what everyone says, but wanted to point out any timelines design regardless of style type or construction will always be superior to me. Anything too trendy will look too dated as trends change. To design furniture in a in a way that never really truly goes out of style is always superior to me. Basic good design qualities never change.

Jim Tobias
02-08-2024, 11:42 AM
Agreeing with the idea that trends are not bad in and unto themselves. Bikinis, Mini-skirts, pineapple cuts, Members-Only Jackets, and Lucchese boots were all very cool during their "trend window". Some survived, some did not. Mid-Century-Modern, Rustic, Reclaimed, Queen Anne, all have a cold place in my heart. MCM because I grew up with it. Probably the same reason I prefer not to use red oak or birch. Curlicues, swam-necks, and excessive fluting all live in the "I'd rather not" box in my brain.

I was lucky enough to be raised by a couple who took the kids on Sunday drives just to go look at house and building architecture, historic sites in the area, sculpture in the park, or the latest interactive display at the Science and Industry Museum. End result is that I have a wide range of things that I like. Over time I have also learned that I like some of them more than others. I also learned that there are more people who have a different opinion than mine than there are people who share mine and that's OK. Keeps ya humble . . . :)
This describes my thoughts on this.....to each his own.
Jim

Stan Calow
02-08-2024, 1:09 PM
I for one, am interested in what those other peoples' opinions are. Judging is OK, that's what adults do.

I think the woodworking lessons that need more attention are in design - the aesthetics and proportions thereof. It was a major revelation to me to learn about the golden ratio for example, from a magazine article. Yet, we mostly think teaching art to school kids has only frivolous benefits, when it could be prep for many things in their future.

Edward Weber
02-08-2024, 3:48 PM
I guess I would remind some, that the OP's question was,
What is your least favorite furniture design trend?IMHO, Some responses are a bit too politically correct and a little wishy-washy.
Everyone knows immediately when they don't like something they see.

It's all well and good to see something good in design trends, and so on.... but it also seems some are just skirting around the question.

A large part of design is knowing what you do and don't like and why.

mike stenson
02-08-2024, 4:33 PM
A large part of design is knowing what you do and don't like and why.

Most people don't know the why. Or can't begin to articulate the why. The vast majority IME actually. Same with art in general.

Edward Weber
02-08-2024, 5:02 PM
Most people don't know the why. Or can't begin to articulate the why. The vast majority IME actually. Same with art in general.

It's really not that difficult to figure out.
Is it the shape/proportions, the colors, the materials or the textures are good places to start. There are other things to consider to be sure but you get my point.

I don't like river tables because I don't like wood encased in plastic with unnatural colors.

Jimmy Harris
02-08-2024, 5:20 PM
I for one, am interested in what those other peoples' opinions are. Judging is OK, that's what adults do.

I think the woodworking lessons that need more attention are in design - the aesthetics and proportions thereof. It was a major revelation to me to learn about the golden ratio for example, from a magazine article. Yet, we mostly think teaching art to school kids has only frivolous benefits, when it could be prep for many things in their future.

I completely agree. It's okay to judge things. What's not okay is to insult people. It's only through critique, either from ourselves or others, that we can grow. We, as American's, have a habit of wanting to always be right, rather than wanting to always be better. Rather than learn from our mistakes, we choose to deny their existence. We sacrifice our own ability to improve to the feeble illusion of perfection.

One of the best things I learned in art school was how to critique someone else. How to be brutally honest without making it a personal attack. How to articulate why you don't like something, versus just insulting it. How before you pass that judgement, you must first understand the piece on its own terms. And perhaps most important of all, how to keep your mouth shut or ask questions if you don't understand it. The goal of critique isn't to prove you're smarter. It's to help the other person better themselves. And if they don't walk away better, then you're the one whose failed.

Second to all of that is learning how to balance the details with the big picture to create a harmonious whole so that entire piece is both well thought out and well executed. Every detail is a decision whether you consider it or not. And if one part goes against the whole, the entire castle can crumble.

Indeed, these are all skill that are sadly lacking from both the private and public sectors. But the truly sad part isn't that we lack these skills. It's that we don't value them in the first place. They see art as frivolous. What they don't understand is the truth that eventually, all civilizations are judged by their art, because good art is the closest thing to truth that we can pass on.

Edward Weber
02-08-2024, 6:21 PM
I completely agree. It's okay to judge things. What's not okay is to insult people. It's only through critique, either from ourselves or others, that we can grow. We, as American's, have a habit of wanting to always be right, rather than wanting to always be better. Rather than learn from our mistakes, we choose to deny their existence. We sacrifice our own ability to improve to the feeble illusion of perfection.

One of the best things I learned in art school was how to critique someone else. How to be brutally honest without making it a personal attack. How to articulate why you don't like something, versus just insulting it. How before you pass that judgement, you must first understand the piece on its own terms. And perhaps most important of all, how to keep your mouth shut or ask questions if you don't understand it. The goal of critique isn't to prove you're smarter. It's to help the other person better themselves. And if they don't walk away better, then you're the one whose failed.

Second to all of that is learning how to balance the details with the big picture to create a harmonious whole so that entire piece is both well thought out and well executed. Every detail is a decision whether you consider it or not. And if one part goes against the whole, the entire castle can crumble.

Indeed, these are all skill that are sadly lacking from both the private and public sectors. But the truly sad part isn't that we lack these skills. It's that we don't value them in the first place. They see art as frivolous. What they don't understand is the truth that eventually, all civilizations are judged by their art, because good art is the closest thing to truth that we can pass on.

Many don't take a critique well at all, no matter the circumstances. The need to always be positively reinforced more often than not has a negative effect. In woodworking, critique is vital, not just in aesthetic choices but with construction as well.
The idea of learning from your mistakes is all but gone. It's become far too easy find a website or video saying that you're right and didn't make a mistake.
This is how we end up where we are, no one is wrong, everyone is an expert.
There is, IMO, a glaring lack of depth of knowledge (DOK)515260
For many, it's far to easy to google an answer than to come up with one on their own. Art and design being no exception to this.
Inert Knowledge (https://effectiviology.com/inert-knowledge/), Dunning Kruger effect (https://thedecisionlab.com/biases/dunning-kruger-effect), whatever you want to call it, it's become more prevalent.
If you can't explain something simply, you don't understand it fully.
Sorry for the rant

mike stenson
02-08-2024, 6:26 PM
It's really not that difficult to figure out.
Is it the shape/proportions, the colors, the materials or the textures are good places to start. There are other things to consider to be sure but you get my point.

I don't like river tables because I don't like wood encased in plastic with unnatural colors.

And yet, most can't articulate what they don't like about it.

I have a fine arts education, let me tell you how many college students taking fine arts classes couldn't articulate this during critiques.

Josko Catipovic
02-09-2024, 12:55 AM
To risk straying even further from the topic, I remember being in a museum where the main display was 100's (if not 1000's) of ~3' paper-mache fingers pointing up at the ceiling. My first response was: What the ####??? Get me out of here. But then something happened, and I realized I was in the presence of genius. I can't describe it, but it was overwhelming.
So, do I now like paper-mache fingers? Noo, I'm not about to go make some for my living room.
Back to my first post; I 'don't like' post-modern steel, but seeing that cantilevered table in a 400-yr cottage just worked. To me, it was beautiful. I wish I could design a roomful of furniture with anything near that level of skill, and I'm glad there are people who can so the rest of us can appreciate it.

andrew whicker
02-09-2024, 1:44 PM
For me, a lot of criticism of say, the wildly unpopular river table among woodworkers, doesn't come from the unique idea of the river table. I would estimate that for each of us, when we first saw the idea it was worst case taken as "hmmm pretty cool idea. Not my cup of tea, but I like the creativity". I would proffer that most of the criticism for contemporary designs is the overwhelming popularity and singularity of it. Again, I think the river table could be cool tool in your design toolbox. Work with it, see how you like it, see how can make it better, change it, mold it, whatever. However, when you are scrolling thru you addiction gallery (IG, pinterest, whatever) and you keep seeing the same exact design.. that's when I start to check out.

Same w/ shaker. I actually really enjoy a nice clean shaker or shaker similar kitchen design. I'm just tired of every single house having the same kitchen.

At that point, it's really not design anymore it's just capitalism / business making. It becomes something where companies have figured out the cheapest and most economical way to make something that resembles the original intent. And given enough time, that new watered down design becomes the design. And then we all collectively roll our eyes because we see what used to be at least an interested concept turn into a profit maximizing scheme that has little to no room for play / uniqueness.

So I guess there are two types of criticisms: those based on hearing the same song on the radio over and over again to the point of being "over it" and actual design criticism. Because that song that gets overplayed WAS a good song, it just became bad after getting too much air time.

For me, when I actually get to build my own stuff, I struggle w/ finding design ideas vs not looking at other designs. I think good design just falls into it's own category and doesn't need to be categorized as Arts and Crafts or whatever movement. You can make something that just "works". Pulling from movements waters down good design in my personal experience. For me, I just like to look at the images, the designs. I'm WAY less concerned about when it was made, what movement it came from, where it was made and who made it. That history and context is interesting, but it isn't necessarily helping me make a cool unique piece. It can, but I think the first step is enjoying something about the design, sleeping on it, then having one of those high energy creativity moments.

Well, hope that made sense. I'm a rambling man.

Edit: I really enjoyed reading what Jimmy had to say. Very thoughtful. When I'm older and retired (?) I would like to go back to school for Fine Arts.

jack duren
02-09-2024, 1:50 PM
Least favorite? Everybody’s but mine,.

Michael Burnside
02-09-2024, 1:59 PM
For me, a lot of criticism of say, the wildly unpopular river table among woodworkers, doesn't come from the unique idea of the river table. I would estimate that for each of us, when we first saw the idea it was worst case taken as "hmmm pretty cool idea. Not my cup of tea, but I like the creativity".

For me, it isn't the design. It is 100% the absurd amount of long-term environmental waste they create. I'm not against epoxy at all, it certainly has a place and I do use it, but good grief, the plastic tape, silicon, broken up melamine, particle board, rubber gloves, buckets, bins, stir sticks and empty plastic jugs upon jugs of epoxy is just too much for me.

jack duren
02-09-2024, 2:10 PM
#1….. I hate frameless cabinetry

#2…….I hate super duper fancy pieces of furniture that dont work in average Joes homes.I like practical funiture..Everything else is just a picture to me..

Christian Hawkshaw
02-09-2024, 5:47 PM
For those if you that don't like river tables....how about river stairs :D: https://www.instagram.com/moniquelula/p/C3HT8bzN0Kx/

jack duren
02-09-2024, 5:53 PM
I don’t dislike river tables as much as feeling the river table era won’t last long..

Edward Weber
02-09-2024, 7:51 PM
For me, it isn't the design. It is 100% the absurd amount of long-term environmental waste they create. I'm not against epoxy at all, it certainly has a place and I do use it, but good grief, the plastic tape, silicon, broken up melamine, particle board, rubber gloves, buckets, bins, stir sticks and empty plastic jugs upon jugs of epoxy is just too much for me.

I can't agrue with that, although I do hate the design as well. Not to mention the tables themselves will be in the landfill as well someday.

I see a deep pour on an otherwise good looking piece of wood and it almost immediately gives me a sense of being cheap, lazy, or some other adjectives I can't use on this forum. I don't know when it quits being a fad and becomes a design trend, I just hope it stops soon.
I've seen natural edge furniture up close and personal done at the highest level, so all the "makers" with their the knock-offs and wanna-bees or the re-imagined tables don't cut it for me. There is very little of it that seems to have any sense of style or balance, just plastic coated planks on retail metal legs.

When I was much younger, I worked for a moving company. We were lucky enough to have a contract with George Nakashima and transported many of his pieces from his compound in New Hope PA. I can honestly say, my co-workers and I saw and handled many of his natural edge pieces before anyone else in the public. While I didn't have the appreciation for them then as i do now, ever since then not much else compares. A simple oil and wax finish was all that was on many pieces.

JMHO

Mel Fulks
02-09-2024, 8:28 PM
I don’t dislike river tables as much as feeling the river table era won’t last long..

yep ! , such things are for Birthday parties where the sweetness of the icing will be long remembered after after the River will go to
the trash can.