PDA

View Full Version : F Style clamps slipping

Jay Knobbe
09-05-2023, 9:36 PM
Good Evening,
I have a pair of Rockler F style clamps, the type with the small notches in the top and bottom of the bar.
I can't tighten them up due to the moveable end slipping on the bar. The notches don't appear to be stripped smooth. They all feel about the same.
Can they be saved or are they junk?
TIA

Aaron Rosenthal
09-05-2023, 9:52 PM
How old are the clamps?
That determines if Rockler will either replace them or advise you they're worn out. I've only bought one item from Rockler, so I can't give you any historical insights.
Anecdotally, I had a pair of light duty Bessey clamps that acted like you describe and I took them back to Lee Valley, who replaced them.

Richard Coers
09-05-2023, 11:24 PM
Those clamps are not the best quality, but try and flip the clutch plates over to get a good edge to grip the bar. The plates wear and they need a crisp edge to grip the bar.

Doug Garson
09-06-2023, 12:32 AM
+1 on flipping the clutch plates, I had some quick grip clamps that were slipping and after reversing the clutch plate they were as good as new.

Jamie Buxton
09-06-2023, 12:58 AM
You see those serrations on the bar. On some F clamps, those serrations get trapped along a setscrew driven into the moveable jaw. The threads on that setscrew can get worn, leading to the slipping you're seeing. Turn the setscrew a quarter turn to expose unworn threads.

glenn bradley
09-06-2023, 8:45 AM
Rockler has made several types of f-clamps over the years. A picture will get you better responses.

andy bessette
09-06-2023, 6:46 PM
Buy Jorgenson Pony clamps.