PDA

View Full Version : Jointer Elevation Screws

Sandy Weymouth
09-05-2023, 11:17 AM
Hi,

I have an old Oliver jointer (#189) that does not have elevation screws for setting the knife height. It has three pockets for the screws but they are empty. I am guessing that it either never had elevation screws or it did and they are now missing. Does anyone know of an aftermarket screw that I could try and see if it fits in the pocket?

Thanks for any help.

Sandy

John Lanciani
09-05-2023, 12:04 PM
Have you determined that they are in fact threaded?

Sandy Weymouth
09-05-2023, 12:11 PM
They are not threaded. I believe I have seen elevation screws on other machines that are inserts (the insert and then a screw that goes into the insert that raises and lowers it). That is what I am looking for, if the part is purchasable.

Richard Coers
09-05-2023, 2:11 PM
Are you sure those aren't coil spring pockets? I've never seen threaded inserts used in any thickness planers.

glenn bradley
09-05-2023, 2:19 PM
Are you sure those aren't coil spring pockets? I've never seen threaded inserts used in any thickness planers.

+1. I believe they are coil springs. These springs press the knives upward during setting. They can press up against nothing, a setting jig, or a piece of glass laid on the outfeed. I tend to just use glass and magnets without the springs.

Sandy Weymouth
09-05-2023, 3:24 PM
Thanks for the responses. I did find an old powermatic part that I am going to test out in the pockets but I also ordered some springs which probably will work fine as well. I currently have a magnetic jig to set the knives and can get them at the right level with a couple of the gib screws slightly tightened but they get out of whack when I tighten all the screws. Hopefully I can figure out a good sequence to keep the knives level and tight. Thanks for the help.

Andrew Hughes
09-05-2023, 3:58 PM
I have a set of knife lifters in my Oliver. They aren’t hard to make I’ll try to find a pic on the internet of the style I have.
mine are in the head right now. Or I would take a picture :o
Springs aren’t good enough. A dial indicator with a mushroom tip and lifters is the best way.

Sandy Weymouth
09-05-2023, 4:08 PM
I have a set of knife lifters in my Oliver. They aren’t hard to make I’ll try to find a pic on the internet of the style I have.
mine are in the head right now. Or I would take a picture :o
Springs aren’t good enough. A dial indicator with a mushroom tip and lifters is the best way.

Thanks for anything you can share.

Andrew Hughes
09-05-2023, 9:46 PM
I wasn’t able to find a pic. But here’s a drawing that I believe is fairly accurate what’s in my jointers head.
I used mild steel rod 7 1/16 diameter. A hacksaw a drill press , 1/4 20 tap and a file to create the step.
I also have different lengths of set screws starting at 1/2 inch. The set screws shouldn’t protrude above the lifter or they contact the bottom of the knife.
Like I said they are pretty easy to make. I wouldn’t be surprised if the rod can be bought with thread
Good Luck

Bradley Gray
09-06-2023, 6:47 AM
I have a planer without lift screws. A set of magnetic blade holders made the process simple.

Sandy Weymouth
09-06-2023, 10:34 AM
I wasn’t able to find a pic. But here’s a drawing that I believe is fairly accurate what’s in my jointers head.
I used mild steel rod 7 1/16 diameter. A hacksaw a drill press , 1/4 20 tap and a file to create the step.
I also have different lengths of set screws starting at 1/2 inch. The set screws shouldn’t protrude above the lifter or they contact the bottom of the knife.
Like I said they are pretty easy to make. I wouldn’t be surprised if the rod can be bought with thread
Good Luck

Thanks Aj, that doesn't look too difficult to fabricate. I actually got an answer from one of the guys at OWWM about the holes. They never had anything in them and Oliver originally sold a lifter to fit the holes and the concave top of the gib. In the meantime I have been able to get the knives set ok with the my planer magnetic lifters and a dial gauge. I'm definitely going to look for that tool though as I like the idea of having what was originally used with the machine back in 1930's when it was built.

Thanks for all of the responses.

Sandy

Andrew Hughes
09-06-2023, 12:23 PM
I’ve seen that tool. In my owners manual it states using the knife setting block and lifting tool are furnished with machines.
Then it shows using these two tools sets the height for grinding and jointing. The grinder is bolted down to the outfeed table.
So agree I don’t think Oliver ever made knife lifters for jointers.
Good Luck