PDA

View Full Version : 1955

Steve Ash
02-02-2006, 8:35 AM
Comments made in the year 1955:

"I'll tell you one thing, if things keep going the way they are, it's going to be impossible to buy a week's groceries for $20."

"Have you seen the new cars coming out next year? It won't be long before $2000 will only buy a used one."

"If cigarettes keep going up in price, I'm going to quit. A quarter a pack is ridiculous."

"Did you hear the post office is thinking about charging a dime just to mail a letter?"

"If they raise the minimum wage to $1, nobody will be able to hire outside help at the store."

"When I first started driving, who would have thought gas would someday cost 29 cents a gallon. Guess we'd be better off leaving the car in the garage."

"Kids today are impossible. Those duck tail hair cuts make it impossible to stay groomed. Next thing you know, boys will be wearing their hair as long as the girls."

"I read the other day where some scientist thinks it's possible to put a man on the moon by the end of the century They even have some fellows they call astronauts preparing for it down in Texas."

"Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract for $75,000 a year just to play ball? It wouldn't surprise me if someday they'll be making more than the president."

"I never thought I'd see the day all our kitchen appliances would be electric. They are even making electric typewriters now."

"It's too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where a few married women are having to work to make ends meet."

"It won't be long before young couples are going to have to hire someone to watch their kids so they can both work."

"Marriage doesn't mean a thing any more; those Hollywood stars seem to be getting divorced at the drop of a hat."

"I'm just afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the door to a whole lot of foreign business."

"Thank goodness I won't live to see the day when the Government takes half our income in taxes. I sometimes wonder if we are electing the best people to congress."

"The drive-in restaurant is convenient in nice weather, but I seriously doubt they will ever catch on."

"There is no sense going to Lincoln or Omaha anymore for a weekend. It costs nearly $15 a night to stay in a hotel."

"No one can afford to be sick any more; $35 a day in the hospital is too rich for my blood."

"If they think I'll pay 50 cents for a hair cut, forget it."

Rob Russell
02-02-2006, 9:18 AM
Comments made in the year 1955:

[COLOR=#0000a0][FONT=Arial]"Did you hear the post office is thinking about charging a dime just to mail a letter?"

Makes you realize how good a deal we actually have for postage at .39 for a first-class letter!!!
Rob

Stuart Johnson
02-02-2006, 9:49 AM
I still think postage is one of our better buys. Just think someone will stop by your mailbox, pick up a letter and it will be delivered anywhere in the country for just 39 cents. For another 39 cents the person receiving the letter can send a reply and it will be delivered back to you. These letters can then be saved and cherished for generations.

I have letters my Great Grandmother wrote to my Great Grandfather dating back to the early 1900's. It is priceless to read about some of the horrible predictions regarding Haley's comet or about a train trip where she had milk toast in the diner because she wasn't going to pay 25 cents for their fancy stuff . Of course she only had to pay 2 cents postage back then but I wonder what that amounts to in today's dollars.

Andy Hoyt
02-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Of course, waaaay back in the Pony Express days you could send your letter free.

Because the addressee had to pay for the postage.

Cecil Arnold
02-02-2006, 11:20 AM
"Have you seen the new cars coming out next year? It won't be long before $2000 will only buy a used one."

I remember seeing a new '57 Chevy advertiesed for $1595. The space program didn't start until about 1960 (Kennedy/Johnson), and who would want to go to Omaha or Lincon anyway.:D :)

Seriously, one of the things about getting older is that you were there during events that are just facts in a history book to most of us now. Things like the assisination of JFK, landing on the moon, Nixon resigning and other events of the past half century for me didn't come out of a history book.;)

Robert Mickley
02-02-2006, 11:37 AM
Heh, I wasn't even born yyet, imagine that :D:D

Bill Lewis
02-02-2006, 11:53 AM
Heh, I wasn't even born yyet, imagine that :D:DMe neither, but my sister was, my oldest sister.

Erin Raasch
02-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Yeah, I can actually remember 3 cent stamps. :( I also remember going grocery shopping (six kids in the family) and checking out enough groceries to fill about 8 bags. The total came to $30.00!!! :eek: Durned inflation was getting just terrible back then!

Erin

Cecil Arnold
02-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Anyone (besides me) remember the penny post card?

Andy Hoyt
02-02-2006, 1:33 PM
Anyone still get milk, eggs, and butter delivered?

And if so - is the milk in a glass bottle?

Steve Clardy
02-02-2006, 1:39 PM
My first pack of cigarettes, .25
My first new pickup, with everything cept a kitchen sink, 1971. $4200.00

Cecil Arnold
02-02-2006, 1:39 PM
You mean the glass bottle with the paper stopper on top and the cream taking up about the first 1/3. I wish. You must have been on the farm or rich Andy, I grew up on good old country Oleo that you had to add the color to so it looked like butter. Wisconsin farmers and their lobby kept Oleo white for a long time.

Robert Mickley
02-02-2006, 2:02 PM
You mean the glass bottle with the paper stopper on top and the cream taking up about the first 1/3. I wish.

Kind of, I have to go get it though. :D mmmmmmmmmmmmm milk

Andy Hoyt
02-02-2006, 2:12 PM
Yup, cream on the top and on the farm. And I did the delivering. Thirty miles every morning before school. All up hill and in the snow.....ya da ya da

But the best memory of it all is when the paper top would pop off of its own accord.

Scott Loven
02-02-2006, 2:29 PM
2010: Remember back to the days when we used to have factories in America?

Scott

Scott Donley
02-02-2006, 2:54 PM

ScottThat used all American made parts?

tod evans
02-02-2006, 3:12 PM

Scott

are ya` trying to get me started? :)

Robert Mickley
02-02-2006, 3:56 PM
are ya` trying to get me started? :)

Wehres the Key? :D :D

Glenn Clabo
02-02-2006, 6:33 PM
Anyone still get milk, eggs, and butter delivered?

And if so - is the milk in a glass bottle?

Hummm...yes we do.

Mike House
02-02-2006, 8:00 PM
I wrote to my Congressman and suggested the postage rate could be brought down if the USPS sold advertising on postage stamps. He told me (tactfully) it was a stupid idea.

Steve Clardy
02-02-2006, 8:39 PM
I wrote to my Congressman and suggested the postage rate could be brought down if the USPS sold advertising on postage stamps. He told me (tactfully) it was a stupid idea.

Uncle Levi:confused: :confused: :confused:
You need to PM the moderators and have your name changed.
Thats the rules around here, a real name.:)

Welcome to the creek:D

Dennis Peacock
02-03-2006, 12:24 AM

UH...Excuse Me.....but Mr. Levi......I mean Uncle Levi......Please send a PM to Keith Outten to have your "real" name put in place of you "fake" name. The SMC Terms Of Service clearly state that each person here must use a real name.

BTW, Welcome to SMC.:D

Mike House
02-03-2006, 7:27 AM
I sent Keith that message this morning. Sorry guys, i should have known better.

Jason Roehl
02-03-2006, 7:45 PM
While the comments may give a glimpse into '50s lifestyle, check this out:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/trivia/1955comments.asp

This is a pretty good read, too, from someone who breezes through here once in a while:

http://www.woodbutcher.net/e-mail.htm