PDA

View Full Version : Mystic pizza is delicious

Roger Feeley
09-03-2023, 11:48 AM
My wife and I took a driving vacation up the eastern seaboard and stopped off in mystic cn to see the old seaport. Of course we got pizza at mystic pizza because of the movie. The pizza was great but I don’t know if it’s any named style. Anybody here ever had mystic pizza and can tell me the secret?

Mike Cutler
09-03-2023, 12:20 PM
Ahh, the secrets. Do you really want to know them?
It's not really a named style like NY, or Chicago style pizza. It's kind of a cross between Greek style and Sicilian style. All three of a coworkers daughters worked there during school, so he ate a lot of Mystic pizza, and so did we. I'm a Pepe's pizza guy, but it was free.......
Mystic Pizza has been at that location since at least 1980, but then it was a small walk in pizza place that only had about 3 tables near a window. After the movie went national, the owners of the pizza shop bought the coin laundry next door and expanded the restaurant into that space. Which was kind of a shame, because we used to do our laundry at that laundry mat when the wife and I first got together.
Mystic is nice. Next time you come I'll steer you to Ford's Lobster for the Lobster bisque bowl. It's incredible!
Even though there is no restaurant as depicted in the movie, which were scenes shot on multiple location around Mystic and Stonington to create a restaurant, I think the original owners did a nice job. It's very popular.

Rich Konopka
09-03-2023, 3:45 PM
It’s greek style which is very popular in Ct area. I grew up in Ct and very fond of the greek pizza. The crust is not thin but not thick.

Pat Germain
09-11-2023, 5:28 PM
It’s greek style which is very popular in Ct area. I grew up in Ct and very fond of the greek pizza. The crust is not thin but not thick.

Years ago I was working in Connecticut and stopped by Mystic Pizza for a slice of heaven. I expected a tourist trap with low-grade, frozen pizza, but I was pleasantly surprised. My pizza was quite yummy. I ate the whole pizza by myself.

Mystic is a very charming area. I would like to go back with Mrs. Pat.

Roger Feeley
09-12-2023, 7:47 AM
What is Greek style? I looked at their website and they didn’t list feta cheese or other Greek type stuff. I found that they are selling their pizzas at some grocery stores. None near me, though.

Stan Calow
09-12-2023, 9:25 AM
Unlikely I'll ever be in the area, but good to know its a real thing and not a Hollywood invention.

Roger Feeley
09-12-2023, 9:54 AM
Too bad. Mystic Seaport is fascinating. They rebuild and repair big sailing vessels. They did the restoration on Mayflower II. They have a rope making operation. They have a chandlery where the make and repair big sails. And who doesn’t want to see a giant band saw. The list goes on.

Dave Zellers
09-12-2023, 5:45 PM
Too bad. Mystic Seaport is fascinating. They rebuild and repair big sailing vessels. They did the restoration on Mayflower II.

The last time it went in for repairs, I got to see it being tugged through the Cape Cod canal from Plymouth to Mystic Seaport. Couldn't believe how small it was. 101 people on the original one for 10 weeks. Can't even imagine.

Mike Cutler
09-13-2023, 7:34 PM
What is Greek style? I looked at their website and they didn’t list feta cheese or other Greek type stuff. I found that they are selling their pizzas at some grocery stores. None near me, though.

The "greek style" is a lot of cheese on top, toppings are under the cheese for the most part, a thicker, softer crust, and the marinara is rather bland. I add a lot of Italian seasoning, basil and red chili flakes to greek style pizza. It's also very greasy. Two miles from Mystic Pizza is Angie's. True Greek style pizza.
I am a fan of Napoletana pizza, the style prepared and served at Pepe's and Sally's pizza in New Haven CT.

Pizza, lobster rolls, and where you attend church, are very personal decisions in Connecticut! You risk grievous insult to Nutmeggers when you discuss these topics. Tread lightly ;)

Roger Feeley
09-13-2023, 9:19 PM
Pizza, lobster rolls, and where you attend church, are very personal decisions in Connecticut! You risk grievous insult to Nutmeggers when you discuss these topics. Tread lightly ;)

sounds like bbq in Kansas City. I lived there for 4t years and heard a lot of arguments. Personally, I have my favorite(s) but I’m not insulted if it’s not to someone else’s liking. The odd thing about KC bbq is Arthur Bryant’s. It’s a very vinegar’y sauce which is unusual in KC. Most bbq places use a tomato based sweet/hot sauce which is what I prefer. The odd thing is that AB’s seems to be a required stop for presidential candidates. To be fair, AB has been around forever and has its following which I respect. But it’s like most of the city has moved on.

thanks for explaining Greek pizza. It doesn’t seem all that different from what I get around here. It must be their sauce that’s distinctive. My wife and I are traveling from dc to Plymouth Massachusetts to celebrate the 50th anniversary of our first date. We went to a college production of Camelot in 1973 so I found a summer stock production in Plymouth. I don’t know if I can swing it but I would like to stop by mystic for some pizza.

Rich Konopka
09-16-2023, 8:36 AM
The "greek style" is a lot of cheese on top, toppings are under the cheese for the most part, a thicker, softer crust, and the marinara is rather bland. I add a lot of Italian seasoning, basil and red chili flakes to greek style pizza. It's also very greasy. Two miles from Mystic Pizza is Angie's. True Greek style pizza.
I am a fan of Napoletana pizza, the style prepared and served at Pepe's and Sally's pizza in New Haven CT.

LOL, Actually I am a fan but of Clydes apple cinnamon donuts and cider for desert after visiting Abbots for one of their rolls.

Roger Feeley
09-16-2023, 8:54 AM
Mike,
New Haven? Have you tried Louie’s Lunch? It claims to be the oldest hamburger joint. They use these 19th century grills that work more like a bread toaster where the burger is held vertically. I’ve read that you ask for ketchup at your peril.

Stan Calow
09-16-2023, 9:12 AM
Roger, I am born and raised in KC so I know what you're talking about. Arthur Bryants is still here. I remember going there in the '80s from work, and they had these carboys (5 gallon glass jugs) of sauce sitting in the window, slowly bubbling away. Its still a traditional destination for visitors (Jimmy and Roselyn Carter ate there, which I will always remember him for), but there are plenty of newer and more upscale BBQ places as well as "joints" and BBQ contests to make a visit worthwhile.

Mike Cutler
09-16-2023, 4:10 PM
Mike,
New Haven? Have you tried Louie’s Lunch? It claims to be the oldest hamburger joint. They use these 19th century grills that work more like a bread toaster where the burger is held vertically. I’ve read that you ask for ketchup at your peril.

I haven't been to Louie's in a very long time.Those toasters are ancient, that's for sure
Yeah, the ketchup thing has been a tradition there for years. Problem is, that for me, mayonnaise has no business being on a Hamburger. I actually don't like mayo'.

Mike Cutler
09-16-2023, 4:14 PM
LOL, Actually I am a fan but of Clydes apple cinnamon donuts and cider for desert after visiting Abbots for one of their rolls.

Clyde's is a nice place. Many years ago, 1991, we almost bought the house next door to Clyde's Cider Mill. I'm glad I didn't because Clyde's got really, really, big.
If you're ever in Mystic again, you need to go across the bridge and have a roll at Sea Swirl. Just try not to pay attention to your where you're eating. ;)
Down the river from Abbot's is Ford's. Ford's lobster bomb should be on everyone's bucket list.