PDA

View Full Version : DVD Recorder

Bill Lewis
02-02-2006, 7:28 AM
I've got to get a DVD recorder. I've got too many programs on the satellite DVR that need archiving. Some are programs I recorded for friends, some are Discovery Channel programs that were filmed where I work, and even some WW'ing stuff I want to keep. I've put this off long enough, now is the time. My DVR is starting to make some noises I'm not happy with. So if it dies, I lose everything.

I've pretty much figured out that I want to get +/- R and RW format. I'm not sure that I need or want to get a VCR/DVD combo unit. Will I regret not getting a combo unit? And what about Brand. Should I stick to the big names like panasonic Toshiba, Sony, or are the other brands just as good? Price, are the units that are less than $100 just too cheap to consider, too featureless, too difficult to use, limited inputs?

Any thoughts?

Karl Laustrup
02-02-2006, 8:51 AM
I'm in the same boat here Bill. I'm guessing you're talking about a DVD recorder/player, right?

I haven't decided on a specific unit as I'm still researching what will be the best for what I want to do, which is record TV shows, movies etc., as well as play back. I also want to be able to play back pre-recorded DVD's. From what I've found this is where it gets a little confusing. What I've been looking for is one that will play back as many formats as possible. How many is that, I'm not sure.

I was looking at one about a month ago that seemed to fit the bill, but I wasn't ready to jump at it. I think it was a Sony and was about $400 if memory serves me right.

I'll be checking on this thread so I can make a reasonable choice in the near future.

Karl

Bill Lewis
02-02-2006, 9:25 AM
Yep, that's what I'm talking about Karl.

I did a little more research on the "Bestbuy" site just to compare features. They make DVD+R/RW, and -R/RW, and multiformat units that do both +/-, and some that also do DVD RAM. One thing I read is that the DVD RAM are more re-writeable than the RW units. So if you plan on just recoarding shows to watch once this might be a feature that is of value.

Some units even come with TIVO and a harddrive built in (DVR). I really don't need this feature because I already have a DVR in my satellite receiver.

I do like using S-video vs. composite becasue of the higher picture quality. So the unit must have S-video IN. However most of the units that I looked at only have S-video OUT. Panasonic's have both, but only support the -R/RW format, and my computer DVD burner supports +R/RW, so I don't want to create a conflict from the start.:mad:

Ken Garlock
02-02-2006, 11:16 AM
Bill, take a look at the Sony "DVDirect" recorder/player. It is self contained and can be used on S-video, USB, and composite inputs. It automatically recognizes the type of input in use. Just plug a player in and it is ready to go. The only thing against it is that it is expensive, in my mind, at just below $300 at Frys.

Vaughn McMillan
02-02-2006, 6:04 PM
Bill, I have a basic, component-style DVD recorder that I got a year or so ago from Wal-Mart for a little more than $100. I got it for exactly the reason you mentioned...I needed to free up some space on my TiVo. I also have a few things on video tape that I want to preserve before the tape turns to magnetic mush. It's a no-frills, no-name Chinese device, but it works as advertised.

Aside from the fact that the instructions were written by a Chinese guy with a bad translator, the unit has done everything I've asked it to do. I don't believe mine has the capabilities and the different supported DVD formats as a $300 Sony unit, but for my needs, it's been good.

HTH -

- Vaughn

Bill Lewis
02-07-2006, 8:01 AM
For those keeping an eye on this thread, I finally decided on a recorder. I decided to get the Sony RDR-VX515 combo VCR/DVD unit. I was just about to get an inexpensive unit when I learned that some of these have a firewire (iLink) input for digital video cameras. I bought it from amazon for $319, and there is a $50 sony rebate pormotion. I also chose the free shipping, so I haven't received it yet.
This unit won me over for the following reasons: It's a multiformat machine, the iLink for the camera, vhs/dvd combination, and the relatively small price difference to get these features.

Vaughn McMillan
02-08-2006, 6:04 AM
That looks like it'll be a great box. Lotsa function, and the price is good for everything you'll be able to get out of it. Good call.

- Vaughn