PDA

View Full Version : A helix Head

tim walker
09-01-2023, 8:32 PM
Pulled the plug and bought a Byrd Shelix OEM for my Dewalt 735. Been working figured wood and tear out was getting the best of me, even with new blades.

Found it on Amazon for$416 plus tax and I will have it Sunday. Byrd direct wants $695 plus shipping. Interestingly they say in stock and shops in 72 hrs. I looked at the LUX III but at $549 plus shipping in 3 days, but made in Taiwan. Mywoodcutters.com also sell the shelix at $435!plus shipping is 4-10 weeks.

Will report back after watching copious amounts of YouTube installation vids and then taking the drive of the ledge to install. Wish me luck.

Richard Coers
09-01-2023, 9:53 PM
Have you read those heads use more horsepower than straight blades and you will have to take lighter cuts? Those heads in Dewalt 735 have been discussed extensively on here. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?258690-Shelix-head-for-DeWalt-735

tim walker
09-02-2023, 1:05 AM
Yes aware, but its not like I am a production facility. Some days the planer is not run for days or even weeks, so more concerned with the clean cut vs the amount removed. I am working with exotic woods, mesquite, bird's eye maple,, etc so the cut is more important to me specifically.

Robert Hayward
09-02-2023, 3:06 PM
I bought the same head about two weeks ago. My local Woodcraft store was running a special at their store only for $380.00 limited to what was in stock. I phoned when I got the email and paid over the phone. Then drove the 25 miles when I had time. Had been coveting the Shelix head for some time prior.

I am the same as you about the hp concerns. I do hobby and craft woodworking so am not worried about it.

A word of caution about reinstalling the carbide cutters, they must be removed to install the OEM diameter Byrd Head. There should be a single sheet of paper in the box with cutter install instructions. Pay close attention to what the paper says about pulling the cutters away from the back of the mount and let the screw push the insert against the back as the screw is tightened. Guess who thought what could that matter on a brand new head with no debris on the head to interfere?

My first couple test cuts were disappointing to say the least with numerous ridges and grooves in the wood. I had to loosen about half of the inserts and tighten them like the instruction paper said to get a proper smooth cut.

Brian Gumpper
09-07-2023, 11:50 AM
Tim,

As a Byrd dealer you touched on one thing that bothers me so I'll have to clarify because I get calls every week, "why are you so much less than Byrd". The $695 was most like Byrd Tool Experts who are not the factory, the factory direct price is $470 plus shipping. Byrd Tool Experts are friends of the Byrd family and portray themselves as the factory gouging accordingly.

Steven Woodward
09-07-2023, 11:59 AM
The segmented cutter head is more demanding on the motor, but this is easily resolved by running the Dewalt planer on the slow speed feed rate, and a shallower cut I necessary. Once it is installed and the cutters set properly per instructions, the improvement is well worthwhile. Way longer lasting before dull, just like a carbide saw blade vs still blade; way lass tear-out; small chips instead of shavings so dust collection does not clog; and it you do happened to hit an embedded nail or stone then just replace one or two damaged cutters, rather than three long knives. And one more thing, each cutter can be rotated 3 times before replacing.

tim walker
09-07-2023, 11:07 PM
Thanks Brian for clarifying, yes it was Byrd Tool Experts. I think they should be ostracized for trying to portray themselves as Byrd Manufacturing, pure profit and scamming.