PDA

View Full Version : Need help!!!

Keel McDonald
02-02-2006, 7:18 AM
Ok, I've run into a bit of a dilemma. I was asked to turn a 1" dowell from solid oak for a friend to use as a handle for a project he is building. Simple enough, right? Wrong. The dowell turned out great, but I had a good bit of chip out, anywhere from very small chip out to one place where it is maybe 1/8" deep and 1/4" long. Is there a way to repair the damage? Can I simply fill in the chip out with wood filler and sand it? What would you do? The piece will be stained a dark mahogany color, so filler will probably never be noticed. Any advice is much appreciated.

John Hart
02-02-2006, 7:49 AM
Hey Keel...I've always used the mother-wood as my filler and some kind of adhesive. Usually, the adhesive prevents good stain penetration so I generally stain my filler in advance. What I would do in this case is take some of the oak....beltsand it.....capture the dust.....stain it.....mix it with epoxy or yellow glue.....lay it into the chipout....let it cure completely....sand it smooth.

John Miliunas
02-02-2006, 7:59 AM
Mainly, what John said, but don't be surprised if you still see tone differences between repaired areas and the rest of it. :o :cool:

Richard Gillespie
02-02-2006, 8:12 AM
Nothing beats a failed first try like a re-do. Sorry, but from what you describe, the end product won't be acceptable. I know that's probably not what you want to hear right now.

If I was working on it, I'd go get another piece of Oak and make a new piece.

Sorry!

Rick

Andy Hoyt
02-02-2006, 8:26 AM
I'm with Richard on this one. And then use your scary sharp skew and extremely light cuts.

Keel McDonald
02-02-2006, 8:43 AM
I've heard of others having this same problem with Oak. Have any of you experienced the same thing? Or is it just that I need sharper tools?

John Miliunas
02-02-2006, 8:50 AM
Keel, sharper tools will always help on any wood but, particularly on woods like Oak, as it's a very "thready" wood. You really want to slice the threads clean or otherwise they have a tendency to follow the tool and then break off. :) :cool:

Richard Gillespie
02-02-2006, 9:00 AM
Keel;

Sharper tools and light pressure on the skew to finish the diameter.

Keel McDonald
02-02-2006, 9:03 AM
Thanks John & Richard!

Keith Burns
02-02-2006, 9:16 AM
Just a thought...you can buy 1" oak dowels and add any coves, beads etc. May save you some headaches.

Keel McDonald
02-02-2006, 9:22 AM
I've thought of that, but hate to admit defeat. If I can't get it to work out, however, I'll be doing just that. It just seems like such a simple thing to do.

Just a thought...you can buy 1" oak dowels and add any coves, beads etc. May save you some headaches.

Bernie Weishapl
02-02-2006, 12:57 PM
Keel, I would do like Andy said. I made some 1" oak dowels and turned them down to about 1/8" larger than I needed. I then took a sharp skew chisel and took it the rest of the way with very light cuts. Take it slow. They turned out pretty decent. The biggest thing I found was on oak don't get in a hurry and take light cuts.

Joe Melton
02-02-2006, 1:46 PM
Perhaps you could cut out the bad part of the rod, glue in a piece of a different wood, turn it round and then tell him you customized it for him, no additional charge. In pen turning, we call that an "oops band."
Joe