PDA

View Full Version : Applying a more durable finish over prefinished walnut veneer cabinet doors

Austin Perera
09-01-2023, 12:02 PM
Hi all,
I'm nearing the end of a kitchen remodel - modern style, frameless cabinets with slab doors. Half of the doors/drawer faces are European walnut veneer. Whatever finish they've applied seems a bit minimal, and I was hoping to be able to apply something else to give a bit more protection. The cabinet company gets the doors from Italy, and when I asked what the current finish was the only info I could get was a "matte acrylic sealer". I'm assuming this means a typical polycrylic? If so are there any recommendations for something I could apply over top, preferably either a wipe on or sponge applicator? I was thinking General Finishes High Performance water based urethane. I don't have much finishing experience, just wipe on Waterlox and polyurethanes, so I'd like to avoid a HVLP spray if possible. Grant it if someone tells me it's the only way I can practice on the junk doors.

For anyone wondering the doors are currently being replaced because one of the quartz backsplash slabs was dropped during install hence the big gouge in the cabinet and floor...

Thanks guys,
Austin

John TenEyck
09-01-2023, 1:01 PM
The Italians are front and center on modern waterborne finishes. I don't know if the company who made the cabinets used one, but it's logical to me they would have. In any case, unless you have experience that the finish is not durable, I think applying something over them is unwarranted until you do. If that's not the answer you wanted to hear, then take one of the doors or, even better, drawer fronts, off and do some experiments on the back where it won't show. Try putting a few drops of Fantastic or 409 on it for an hour, then wipe it off. Put some bacon or other grease on it and leave it for a day or two, then wipe it off. Or ketchup or mustard. If any of them permanently damage the finish then you have reason to consider adding another finish for better protection. If that's how it turns out, High Performance would not be on my list of candidates. It's just not all that durable. Enduro Clear Poly or, better still, Enduro Conversion Varnish would be far better choices, even though both are spray only products. And if it added a topcoat is warranted, you need to check for compatibility to make sure the new coating doesn't curdle, peel off, etc., from the one on the doors. If you want to use a wiping finish, then I think you are looking at an oil based varnish like Arm-R-Seal or Waterlox, but those need to be checked for compatibility, too, and may require a barrier coat of dewaxed shellac first.

This is not something I would do w/o good reason - i.e. evidence.

John

Austin Perera
09-01-2023, 1:22 PM
John, many thanks for that answer. I do have a sample that I've been using as a coaster specifically to look at durability and haven't seen any issues yet. This would have simply been a "for good measure" step. So if it's not something that will give a simple benefit then I'm happy to leave them as is. Nonetheless I'll try some of your 'tests' just out of curiosity.

Austin Perera
09-01-2023, 8:04 PM
To follow up I let water, ketchup, and coke sit on it for over an hour with no effect. Then out of curiosity tried putting acetone on a paper towel and rubbing it. Nothing came off and no noticeable change, so I feel better about just leaving whatever it is on there.

John TenEyck
09-03-2023, 8:51 PM
To follow up I let water, ketchup, and coke sit on it for over an hour with no effect. Then out of curiosity tried putting acetone on a paper towel and rubbing it. Nothing came off and no noticeable change, so I feel better about just leaving whatever it is on there.

The acetone was definitely a tough test. Surviving that means it's pretty tough stuff. Did you try some type of food grease?

John

Austin Perera
09-22-2023, 1:52 PM
Apologies for the delay. I baked some Salmon, then took grease/oil from the pan and put it on the wood. I left it overnight and the next day I could wipe it away without any effect on the finish. I realize the fish oil might not be as bad as a beef grease though. But now I'm curious - what is this finish that allows for this kind of protection while looking relatively invisible?

John TenEyck
09-22-2023, 2:21 PM
Apologies for the delay. I baked some Salmon, then took grease/oil from the pan and put it on the wood. I left it overnight and the next day I could wipe it away without any effect on the finish. I realize the fish oil might not be as bad as a beef grease though. But now I'm curious - what is this finish that allows for this kind of protection while looking relatively invisible?

Finishes have come a long way in the past 10 years. There are some amazing solvent and WB catalyzed finishes that are incredibly durable even without high build. Your doors might just have been finished with one.

Put them up and enjoy.

John