PDA

View Full Version : Reassembling jointer tables to center

Ken Flesher
08-31-2023, 4:40 PM
I picked up an older Reliant 8" jointer the other day for pretty cheap. We had to disassemble it to get it out of the basement, and the only way we could see to get the tables off was to roll the whole thing over on top of the stand and unbolt the pillow blocks for the handwheels. It was not fun and seemed like we were doing it the hard way. Whatever... it got the job done.

Now that it's home I've spent considerable time cleaning it up and I added some baffles to the base to (hopefully) improve the chip collection. I have the center section bolted down to the base, and the cutter head is removed. I also reattached the wheels to the center, but they are out of the pillows in the tables. I figured I could slide the tables into the dovetail ways from above until they reach the threaded rods for the wheels, and then insert the gibs. Nope. The pillows on the underside of the tables will not pass across the top "rib" of the center, but it is interfering by about 1/16".

What am I missing here? Do I really need to flop this thing over again and attach the tables with it upside down? Seems dumb to me. I'm working alone, so no way I'm gonna be able to do this. I'm not comfortable grinding on the center section, unless it's absolutely necessary.

Searched the YT but all I've found is "how to tune up your jointer" videos. I did watch several "restoration" videos, and all of them show exactly what I'm trying to do, just slide the table onto the dovetails from above, then screw the threaded shaft on the handwheel in.

Ken Flesher
08-31-2023, 5:21 PM
Photo looking at the interference of the block, at the top of the center section.

Steve Jenkins
08-31-2023, 6:04 PM
Can’t you put the blocks on from underneath after you put the table in place?

Ken Flesher
08-31-2023, 6:16 PM
Can’t you put the blocks on from underneath after you put the table in place?

No, there's no way to get your hands in there, and no way to get a wrench in to the bolts.

John Lanciani
09-01-2023, 6:25 AM
The tables need to be installed before the center section is bolted to the base. You need to remove the block, install the table in the center section, and then install that block from below.

Ken Flesher
09-01-2023, 7:35 AM
So in desperation last night I took a course file and shaved off enough material from the cast iron center so they would slide on. It was only about a millimeter of material, shouldn't cause any appreciable loss of strength. Pretty annoying that I had to do that, but I couldn't figure any other way to get it together and on the stand by myself. Will finish putting it together today, hope to be using it soon.

Thank you.