PDA

View Full Version : Question for woodshop safety test

Luis Reyes
08-29-2023, 1:56 PM
Hi All,

I'll be joining a new woodshop soon and there's a safety test I need to pass. There's one question on the test that's thrown me for a loop. "How many edges of a workpiece must be supported during a dado cut on the table saw". I believe it's two edges (using a mitre gauge it'd be like a cross cut on the table saw where you support the edge on the back and also apply some pressure on the front while doing the cut. Is that right? I also typically use a clamp on the top to support the piece downwards on only one side of the cut)

Thanks in advance!

Luis

Jerry Bruette
08-29-2023, 6:48 PM
I would think only one edge. Supported by the fence or by the miter gauge. You'd be cutting the dado into the face of the work piece.

Christopher Herzog
08-29-2023, 6:50 PM
If i am using the table saw, the fence is all i use to guide one edge. The board is in my mind supported only by one edge.

Am i picturing this situation correctly?

Chris

Tom M King
08-29-2023, 7:19 PM
That's a poorly worded question that sounds like it was made up by someone who thinks others could only think properly if they think like that someone. Does it ask about edges of a board or piece of plywood, or edges of the dado??

Luis Reyes
08-29-2023, 7:41 PM
That's a poorly worded question that sounds like it was made up by someone who thinks others could only think properly if they think like that someone. Does it ask about edges of a board or piece of plywood, or edges of the dado??

Yes exactly!! I thought it was just me mis-reading the question but I'm glad the reactions so far have been similar to mine.

Here's the exact wording: "When cutting a dado on the table saw, how many edges of the work piece must be supported during the cut"

Brian Runau
08-29-2023, 7:46 PM
What is the definition of supported here? Brian. Downward force side force?

Doug Garson
08-29-2023, 7:56 PM
It's such a poorly formed question I'm not sure how I would answer it. A better question would be "describe how you would safely cut a dado on a table saw 1) along the length of a board and 2) across the width of a board".
To that I would answer:
1) I would use a featherboard to firmly push the board against the fence and a push block to push the board forward while pushing it firmly down on the table top. Is that one edge (supported by the fence? ) or two supported by the fence and featherboard? Or none since the definition of supported is "bear all or part of the weight of; hold up." The only part of the workpiece that is supported is the bottom and it is not an edge.
2)I would use the method you described or a sled,again by definition the only part supported is the bottom, again not an edge.

Mark Hennebury
08-29-2023, 8:32 PM
one.

Cameron Wood
08-29-2023, 9:40 PM
I think it depends on whether you walk to school, or carry your lunch.

Michael Burnside
08-29-2023, 10:07 PM
They thought more about obfuscating that question than they did about safety. If you had a lot of space you could argue one or two...I'd say one "edge".

glenn bradley
08-29-2023, 10:16 PM
Sorry. Forgot to click "Post". This may be out of order. . . .

The question may just be worded poorly. If the material is on the table for a dado to be cut across the face (dados are cut across the grain, grooves are cut with the grain) one edge would be against the miter gauge n never both. The fence versus miter gauge would depend on grin direction of the blank. Most often so the answer is one. Maybe this is what they are really asking(???).

Thomas McCurnin
08-30-2023, 3:53 AM
Two--One against the fence supported by push stick, One against the table, again supported by push stick.

Michael Burnside
08-30-2023, 10:43 AM
Two--One against the fence supported by push stick, One against the table, again supported by push stick.

Yea, I think there in lies the issue with the question. I'd argue the side on the table is a face, not an edge.

Mark Hennebury
08-30-2023, 11:00 AM
Tell them the question makes no sense and whoever is responsible for the wording should be fired. Or put any answer, then defend it.

George Yetka
08-30-2023, 11:07 AM
I would think 2 sides of a workpiece. The table and either the rear edge with a miter gauge or the edge along the fence.

If you attempted it with just the table it would be pretty unsafe. Adding a 3rd to hold project against the fence could work to.

andrew whicker
08-30-2023, 11:14 AM
Hi All,

I'll be joining a new woodshop soon and there's a safety test I need to pass. There's one question on the test that's thrown me for a loop. "How many edges of a workpiece must be supported during a dado cut on the table saw". I believe it's two edges (using a mitre gauge it'd be like a cross cut on the table saw where you support the edge on the back and also apply some pressure on the front while doing the cut. Is that right? I also typically use a clamp on the top to support the piece downwards on only one side of the cut)

Thanks in advance!

Luis

When are you using 2 or more edges to cut on a tablesaw? Or less than 1 edge?

The answer is one.

Warren Lake
08-30-2023, 11:26 AM
how wide is the piece, how long is the piece where is the dadoe. its written like a riddle. OP you believe its two edges, what if the piece is 30" wide and you are cross cutting, you wont support that with your mitre gauge.

Focus shoiuld be on answering the question not trying to figure out what they are asking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flNKV_CgYYk

lou Brava
08-30-2023, 11:34 AM
Is there a cut where you use a miter gauge and the rip fence at the same time ?
1 edge is my choice.

Doug Garson
08-30-2023, 12:24 PM
Is there a cut where you use a miter gauge and the rip fence at the same time ?
1 edge is my choice.
You can use the mitre gauge and fence as long as it is a non thru cut like a dado. Again the question is poorly worded and depends on what you consider "supported" and "edge".

Rick Potter
08-30-2023, 12:54 PM
Agree with the poorly worded question, and suspect whoever wrote it intended the key word be 'support'.

I vote two, the table and the miter gage or fence.

Malcolm McLeod
08-30-2023, 12:59 PM
Agree with the poorly worded question, and suspect whoever wrote it intended the key word be 'support'.

I vote two, the table and the miter gage or fence.

+1 - The 'edge' (throwing in a bit of geometry definition) is "where an object ends", so the edge in this case is where you get splinters, or where the planes of 2 surfaces meet.

You need 2 SURFACES to be supported. As Mr. Potter outlines.

Michael Burnside
08-30-2023, 1:23 PM
+1 - The 'edge' (throwing in a bit of geometry definition) is "where an object ends", so the edge in this case is where you get splinters, or where the planes of 2 surfaces meet.

You need 2 SURFACES to be supported. As Mr. Potter outlines.

By your own logic wouldn't you answer one? 2 SURFACES = 1 edge + 1 face. So if I asked you "how many edges" wouldn't you say one?

I think we all agree the question is dumb, we're just splitting hairs :D

Eugene Dixon
08-30-2023, 1:36 PM
Hi All,

Thanks in advance!

Luis

For me, all sides I can get! Remember the table of the saw is a supporting surface. The minimum then is two. Even with an RAS, I'm thinking 3. Table, fence and clamp(s). YMMV

Malcolm McLeod
08-30-2023, 5:21 PM
By your own logic wouldn't you answer one? 2 SURFACES = 1 edge + 1 face. So if I asked you "how many edges" wouldn't you say one?

I think we all agree the question is dumb, we're just splitting hairs :D

Euclid would say an edge is not a surface. Sorry, still 2.

And this passed ‘hair-splitting’ several posts back. It is passing thru cellular-, and may soon see nano-scale splitting.:cool:

Bill Dufour
08-30-2023, 8:00 PM
They may be thinking after it is cut both sides of the dado should be touching the table unlike a rabbit cut. Or they mean use the miter gauge and do not have it touching the fence when the work reaches the blade and starts cutting. use a spacer block attached to the fence?
Bil lD

Cameron Wood
09-01-2023, 12:09 PM
I think I figured out what they are getting at.

Picture making a dado in a dowel. No edges, not safe.

Now picture making a dado in a half round. Curved side down- one edge against the miter gauge, not safe. Flat side down- one edge against the miter gauge, the other contacting the table, safe.

But then if one dadoed square stock with a corner down and a corner against the miter gauge, that would not be good.

Oh well...