PDA

View Full Version : caulking gun tip

Bill Dufour
08-29-2023, 12:16 AM
I had to clean the leaked dried caulk off of the piston and piston rod of my caulking gun so I could use it and retract it all the way to load it. Now that it is clean I will put spray wax on the piston and the first inch or so of the piston rod. The part that does not get to the gripper. I suppose oil or grease would also work.
This should make cleanup a lot easier next time the piston leaks.
BillD

andy bessette
08-30-2023, 8:55 AM
Caulk should never get to those parts, due to the seal on the back of the caulking tube.

Jim Becker
08-30-2023, 9:53 AM
Caulk should never get to those parts, due to the seal on the back of the caulking tube.
Unfortunately, it does and quite commonly. A "really good" caulk gun helps for sure, but the simpler ones are pretty darn common and stuff blows by the plunger sometimes.

andy bessette
08-30-2023, 10:51 AM
Unfortunately, it does and quite commonly. A "really good" caulk gun helps for sure, but the simpler ones are pretty darn common and stuff blows by the plunger sometimes.

Jim, this simply does not happen with the quality caulks I have used: Dow Corning Silicone; BoatLife LifeCaulk, LifeSeal; 3M 4000, 4200, 5200; GE Silicone, Dap Tub & Tile; Teak Decking Systems Deck Caulk; nor the numerous Sikaflex products I've used. Perhaps it is the caulking gun you are using. Besides a pneumatic gun, which I rarely use, I use this manual exclusively (looks like):
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Durable-Maintenance-Improvement-Construction/dp/B09C8T9F47/ref=sr_1_17?c=ts&keywords=Hand+Caulking+Guns&qid=1693406885&s=power-hand-tools&sr=1-17&ts_id=553140

George Yetka
08-30-2023, 11:11 AM
I think people who use guns all day long puncture the rear of the tube so getting it on the ddisk or first inch is inevitable. The Dripless ets2000 guns have worked very well for me for a long time.

Jim Koepke
08-30-2023, 4:42 PM
My recollection, from what may have been an old magazine tip or someone showed me, was to put a piece of Saran wrap (plastic wrap) over the plunger to deal with a messy cartridge.

jtk

Jim Becker
08-30-2023, 7:51 PM
Jim, this simply does not happen with the quality caulks I have used: Dow Corning Silicone; BoatLife LifeCaulk, LifeSeal; 3M 4000, 4200, 5200; GE Silicone, Dap Tub & Tile; Teak Decking Systems Deck Caulk; nor the numerous Sikaflex products I've used. Perhaps it is the caulking gun you are using. Besides a pneumatic gun, which I rarely use, I use this manual exclusively (looks like):
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Durable-Maintenance-Improvement-Construction/dp/B09C8T9F47/ref=sr_1_17?c=ts&keywords=Hand+Caulking+Guns&qid=1693406885&s=power-hand-tools&sr=1-17&ts_id=553140
I suspect that the average consumer is using what's available from the 'borg, not the higher end caulk products. But it's nice to know that the good stuff is less prone to blowing by. But I'm also convinced that the cheap, budget caulk appliances are part of the issue, too.

Bill Dufour
08-30-2023, 9:38 PM
In my case it was caused by using a old opened tube of caulk for a small job. I used then piercing rod on the gun to clear a path through the dried caulk in the nozzle. what little came out the nozzle end was a little dry and not sticky. The bit on the piston was damp enough and a few fingerfuls did the job. That almost empty tube is now in the trash can.
Bill D.

andy bessette
08-30-2023, 9:50 PM
In my case it was caused by using a old opened tube of caulk for a small job. I used then piercing rod on the gun to clear a path through the dried caulk in the nozzle. what little came out the nozzle end was a little dry and not sticky. The bit on the piston was damp enough and a few fingerfuls did the job. That almost empty tube is now in the trash can.
Bill D.

That piercing rod is only intended for piercing the membrane on a fresh tube. What often works on old, cured caulk in the nozzle is drilling with the largest bit that will fit. When even that fails I will simply cut a hole in the side of the tube, just to get the job done.

Mike Wilkins
08-30-2023, 9:54 PM
Speaking of caulking guns; does anyone know of the best unit on the market and where to get it. I am not willing to invest in a powered unit since I am not in the trades and use one every day.
Thanks.

andy bessette
08-30-2023, 10:06 PM
Speaking of caulking guns; does anyone know of the best unit on the market and where to get it. I am not willing to invest in a powered unit since I am not in the trades and use one every day.
Thanks.

I posted, in post #4, the best I have used in nearly 50 years of boat building. Bought mine at West Marine.
https://www.westmarine.com/redtree-industries-heavy-duty-caulking-gun-442608.html

Bill Dufour
08-31-2023, 1:13 AM
I had a good skeleton one made in England. Barnes? Make sure the end of the piston rod is a full 180 degree loop. Otherwise it will fall off a hook.
BilL D

Alan Lightstone
08-31-2023, 8:30 AM
Thanks.
I bought this heavy duty one at Grainger for some heavy duty concrete crack filler. It worked great where my 'borg ones all failed on the thick stuff.
https://www.grainger.com/product/NEWBORN-Caulk-Gun-Cartridge-48UL64?searchQuery=48UL64&searchBar=true&tier=Not+Applicable

That being said, a Milwaukee powered one I bought for a large caulking job was great to use. So much easier with bad arthritis.