PDA

View Full Version : Oneida DC Install

Pete Grass
02-01-2006, 11:11 PM
Some time ago I posted with a "bin full indicator" question. Here's the previous thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=28823

My DC is now up and running (has been for several weeks) and it is all I hoped it would be. Building the chop saw chip catcher is next and I've got a few ideas on that.

I though you'd appreciate some photos - my install was a little tight. I have a basement shop with lots of ceiling obstruction thanks to HVAC ducts. There is not less than an inch of clearance around the sides and the motor is between joists - about 4" up from the bottom. The system runs very smoothly and I haven't had a complaint yet from the folks upstairs (aside from my tool appetite!).

To get this gorilla in place, I installed some cables and pulleys with a couple of ropes to keep the top-heavy system from swinging during the jacking process - it worked slick. I'm leaving them in place to remind me of the outbuilding shop that I'd love to move this to some day...

The "bin full indicator" is a 110v motor that turns at about 1 rpm and when it stops (bin full) I have mine rigged to turn on a flasher on the wall of my shop that I'm usually facing during machine operation. Empty the bin and when the unit is no longer obstructed, the paddle turns again and the flasher is off. No resetting required. I have the bagger unit too - only because in my area I have to bag the chips - I wouldn't do it otherwise.

Thanks for looking.

Pete

Frank Pellow
02-02-2006, 9:27 AM
Pete, thanks for the photos. You certainly did just manage to squaeeze that in.

This is the fist that I have heard of a "bin full" indicator and I certainly could use one. Did you get it from Oneida, from somewhere else, or build it yourself?

Pete Grass
02-02-2006, 10:49 PM
Oneida sells a bin full indicator and that is what I've used in my system. It seems as there are other options and until I've used this a while, I'm uncertain as to how it will work out. What motivated me was the prospect of filling my filter if the bin (my setup is currently the smaller 35 gal version) overfilled.

The small motor that drives this fits through a hole in the bin lid and the paddle rotates underneath. While these photos aren't the best, you'll get the idea of what it looks like.

Pete