PDA

View Full Version : Peanut connectors vs Lamelo

andrew whicker
08-26-2023, 11:15 AM
As everyone knows the Lamelo is certainly awesome. However, I came across a video of a "peanut connector".. which I never heard of before and is similar in concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXkLosyDQGg

https://www.axminstertools.com/us/peanut-2-mini-jig-complete-package-107760

The mini jig looks a little questionable, but it wouldn't be too hard to make your own jigs that work w/ standard sized cabs, etc. once you understood how it works.

Just a cheaper alternative to Lamelo.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with these. Looks interesting.

Richard Coers
08-26-2023, 12:25 PM
I can't tell how accurately the holes have to be drilled. Might be similar to using dowels vs biscuits debate.

Curt Harms
08-26-2023, 12:42 PM
The PEANUTŪ 1 connector is designed for manufacturers who only have three-axis CNC nesting machines.

Poor babies:p Like Richard says, it depends on how accurately the holes have to be drilled. It looks like these are primarily intended for production environments.

Wes Grass
08-26-2023, 1:20 PM
Sweet, now I can make my own ikea junk using real wood.

Paul Koenigs
08-28-2023, 4:15 PM
So youtuber Peter Milliard has a comparison video of the peanut vs the Lamello.
I do not have the peanut, but I do have the lamello

the Lamello tenso connectors are permanent, it is recommended to use glue with them.
Lamello also makes clamex connectors which you use an allen wrench to attach and detach.
Other connectors are available too.

My concern with the peanut connector is what happens when someone pushes/pulls on a shelf.. could it fall out? It just doesn't seem as rigid for something like a big bookshelf. Peter made a little wall shelf.. What happens if someone is tying their shoes, stands up and hits their head on it? Could it fall apart? Maybe.
Maybe you can squirt some glue in the hole and make the joint permanent, I am not sure.

The peanut jig does seem like a cool idea though.. Also, it could fit into tighter spaces (like a face frame), that the lamello might not. The lemallo cuts an slot, kind of like a biscuit cutter does..

If someone tries the peanut, I'd love to see a review.

Edit: would like to add that the connectors are a lot more affordable on the peanut

Michael Burnside
08-28-2023, 5:52 PM
Sweet, now I can make my own ikea junk using real wood.

LOL, my thoughts as well. As Paul mentioned, Peter Millard from 10-minute workshop, has a few good YouTube videos on this connector for those interested.

I guess if you're interested in a cheaper solution vs. Lamelo or Festool and you just have to be able to disassemble cuz you can't get it through the door, ok it's an option. Not for me though.

Richard Coers
08-28-2023, 8:47 PM

My concern with the peanut connector is what happens when someone pushes/pulls on a shelf.. could it fall out?

From what I see in the videos, they have to drive the parts together. Our daughter needs some new quick and easy furniture and I'm not about to make some family heirloom piece for a 1 year old's bedroom. I'm about ready to place an order. Axminster has a great sale on the big kit and free shipping from England. A short video showing how the connector ramps into the slot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbrBynDyVVI

You set the direction of the slot so the construction starts in the back and ends flush up front. You just couldn't pull those apart and the back keeps the parts from sliding out the back.

And considering the cost of a bulk box of Lamello fittings, you can buy the entire Peanut rig for the same as just the bulk box from Lamello.

andrew whicker
08-29-2023, 12:30 AM
I was going to glue the joint. I was just thinking of it as a way to self clamp and locate without hardware that shows...

The face frame comment is an example.

Paul Koenigs
08-29-2023, 1:03 AM
From what I see in the videos, they have to drive the parts together. Our daughter needs some new quick and easy furniture and I'm not about to make some family heirloom piece for a 1 year old's bedroom. I'm about ready to place an order. Axminster has a great sale on the big kit and free shipping from England. A short video showing how the connector ramps into the slot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbrBynDyVVI

You set the direction of the slot so the construction starts in the back and ends flush up front. You just couldn't pull those apart and the back keeps the parts from sliding out the back.

And considering the cost of a bulk box of Lamello fittings, you can buy the entire Peanut rig for the same as just the bulk box from Lamello.

Please give us a followup after you use it. I'd be interested.

Edit.. a potential problem for me is that the router bushing they sell (which is 30 mm) requires a 60mm recess.
The standard porter cable template, I believe is 1 3/16 inches.. which is approx 30 mm.
So that's just something to be aware of.. where to find the right bushing without having to buy a new router.

Edit again.. on amazon search "Trend Screw-On Style Guide Bush for Precision Routing, 1 3/16 Inch, GB/US/30"
That one might work.

Richard Coers
08-29-2023, 10:46 PM
Please give us a followup after you use it. I'd be interested.

Edit.. a potential problem for me is that the router bushing they sell (which is 30 mm) requires a 60mm recess.
The standard porter cable template, I believe is 1 3/16 inches.. which is approx 30 mm.
So that's just something to be aware of.. where to find the right bushing without having to buy a new router.

Edit again.. on amazon search "Trend Screw-On Style Guide Bush for Precision Routing, 1 3/16 Inch, GB/US/30"

That one might work.

I placed my order last night. Surprised and pleased to find free shipping from England. I see them using the Dewalt 625 in a lot of the videos, so will see what happens when their bushing gets here. I may not use it a lot for knock down, but I really like the self clamping feature. That will be really nice for miter work.

Paul Koenigs
09-07-2023, 11:26 PM
Well, my peanut jig arrived today. There's no screws included with the plastic peanut connectors. The instructions say "use a 3.5 mm screw -- length dependent on application)

I played around a bit.. A #8 flathead seems a bit too big, the head of the screw extends past the top of the "mushroom" top on the plastic connector. It seems like #6 is the best to use. It fits in well.
I haven't actually used the jig yet though.. Just wanted to warn people of this.. you are going to have to buy screws separately, which is kind of cheesy, IMO. I would have gladly paid more for screws to be included. Just include the minimum size needed to make the jig function on 3/4" material (18 mm for them, since they are metric I guess) .. If someone wants to buy longer screws, they can do that on their own.