PDA

View Full Version : Comfort Crosses

Eric Brown
08-26-2023, 10:22 AM
A friend of mine makes Comfort Crosses and whenever I get some extra wood with nice color or patterns I give it to him. He has a small bandsaw so cutting a 6" thick board is out of the question for him. So I usually cut to a thickness he can handle. The typical cross is about 3" long and 3/4" thick. He cuts them out and rounds all the edges to make them comfortable to hold.

As luck would have it a maple tree of mine was struck by lightning and needed to be cut down. Nothing special just a soft maple. I hired a crew to cut it down and take the small limbs away. They cut the rest into sections. I decided to not pay them to haul it away and will give most to neighbors for their fire pits.

Here is a picture of the tree before cut down. If you look close you can see where the lightening came out the right side. The bark was literally blown away from the tree.

Then it was cut down and I began cutting it up. However, in the center of the tree was some very pretty wood. So I carved around it with the chainsaw and took it to the bench.

So I flattened two faces and sliced the block into 1 1/4" thick pieces. Laid them out. You can see a cross on one of the boards for size reference.

They are now stickered and next month I will take them to him.

Note: This one of the rare posts I will make that doesn't involve tools.

Jim Koepke
08-26-2023, 3:56 PM
It is great that you can support a fellow artist with free material.

Some of my firewood has been turned into nice projects.

Your maple might be great for making spoons.

jtk