PDA

View Full Version : Amazon return shipping. who actually pays

Bill Dufour
08-24-2023, 11:04 PM
The amazon web site search often works poorly. Searching for a replacement windshield squirter nozzle for my 2000 ford ranger 90% of the results will not fit. I can tell from the picture because they are different left and right.
If I order one and it does not fit because amazon search is wrong does the seller end up paying return postage or since it was amazons fault do they cover the cost of their mistakes?
I realize I do not have to pay for the returns, directly, but if I return too much they will cut me off from returns even though they are all their fault.
I bought some 3/8 Washers, they sent #10 and said do not bother to return them. I ordered them again and again they sent #10. This time they had me mail them back. I ordered from a different seller and finally got the 3/8 washers I had ordered after a week and three packages.
I was going to buy some electrical grease from Amazon but the one ounce tube had a shipping weight of 0.01 ounce so I got it elsewhere since I needed it by this weekend. Not after three or four tries.
BilL D.
Maybe it was for antigravity use?

Rich Konopka
08-25-2023, 7:54 AM
Why don’t you just go down to your local NAPA?

Greg Parrish
08-25-2023, 8:06 AM
Most of the stuff we buy always says free returns. You simply request return and have an option of a few places to drop it off (ie: UPS store, KOHLS, Whole Foods, etc). With those places, you simply print a bar code out and take the item without the shipping box and they scan and accept it. You usually get your credit back shortly after the scan. Of note is that we do have the Amazon Prime membership thing so I’m not sure if these are Prime features or the same for non-prime.

On occasion though, I do buy something that doesn’t include the free returns. For example, the OneWay Rotary Air adapter that I just returned cost me $5.68 (approximately) for the return shipping. They provided a UPS label and I dropped it off. I was fine with this because it would have probably cost me $25 to ship it via UPS myself since I don’t have a large shipper account and/or negotiated rates.

Another thing I like about Amazon is they are pretty protective of the customer. I ordered a Liogier rat tail rasp via amazon a few months ago. I’ve ordered a few via Amazon because usually WoodCraft is the one selling it via Amazon. Unfortunately, this was not WoodCraft this time and I didn’t catch that. It took forever to get here and when I finally got it, the box showed it had shipped from Dubai. Of course, this seemed extremely odd to me since the seller showed a NY location. Regardless, I opened and found a horrible example of a rat tail rasp inside. It looked like a 3 year old made it. Not even close to an attempt at faking a Liogier. I pulled up the sales ad and they had a picture of Liogier and the description of Liogier on the ad. I googled for the amazon phone number since I couldn’t find it on the amazon site. Called them and within moments had a refund in my account and a UPS label to return the rasp to the NY address. I was happy they gave me my money back instantly, but sad that their only procedure regarding the fake was to have me return it to the seller. Regardless, they protected me.

Jim Becker
08-25-2023, 8:46 AM
The answer to your question depends upon multiple factors including the return policies from a third party vendor if involved, where you drop off/how you send the return and whether or not you want a refund or a credit. The reason for the return, however, does factor in so it's important to be accurate about that while doing the online return request.

I cannot remember any time that I've had to pay return shipping, even if the mistake was "mine". In this area, I have multiple return options including UPS stores, Kohls and Amazon Fresh with a Whole Foods coming soon.

Curt Harms
08-25-2023, 11:00 AM
I've always had free returns but the last item I returned - don't remember what it was - if I took it to the UPS Store I'd have had to pay $1. If I took it to Staples (among other choices) it was a free return.

Bill Dufour
08-25-2023, 11:41 AM
To be clear i am not asking about if I pay return shipping. I am asking if the amazon search has me buy an item that does not work which company pays for the return shipping. If it is not amazon they have no real incentive to improve their search function.
Amazon search function seems to be artificial intelligence based. It does not return what I am looking for but what they have for sale that they think I may buy. The results are sorta related.
Example Ford ranger windshield squirter nozzle. A jeep nozzle will not fit so why tell me to buy that? A garden hose nozzle has nothing to do with ford or ranger so why even try to sell me one? Probably overstocked and need to unload them to unsuspecting suckers who might just keep them.
Bill D

Doug Garson
08-25-2023, 11:45 AM
I think people are missing the OP's point, he knows he won't be charged for return shipping, his question is does Amazon or the vendor pay for it. However I don't think it's Amazon's fault if the part doesn't fit because I think they rely on the data provided by the vendor to describe the part and its compatibility.

Bill George
08-25-2023, 4:07 PM
My issues with Amazon is with Vender refunds. I try Not to buy from Chinese sellers because they tend Not to give your money back. Right now I have waited 4 days just for a hold on my CC to be removed.

Doug Garson
08-25-2023, 8:07 PM
I've never had a problem with an Amazon return regardless of where the vendor is or the reason I want to return it. In fact I've never had Amazon question or provide any pushback when I've requested a return with full refund. Only exception was one item where I waited past the return by date by over a month.

I think the OP is expecting too much from Amazon's search engine. They carry over 12 million items and must depend on the seller's description when they search. The search function gives you a bunch of potential matches, it's up to the buyer to review the product descriptions and decide if a particular product is right for them. Amazon also gives you the ability to ask the seller questions like "Does this fit a 2000 Ford Ranger?" I recently ordered new HID headlight bulbs for my wife's Mini and to be sure, I asked the vendor to confirm that the ones I selected were correct. They responded in less than 24 hours and I placed the order. They haven't arrived yet but if they don't fit I don't expect any problem returning them.

Doug Garson
08-25-2023, 8:19 PM
I've never had a problem with an Amazon return regardless of where the vendor is or the reason I want to return it. In fact I've never had Amazon question or provide any pushback when I've requested a return with full refund. Only exception was one item where I waited past the return by date by over a month.

I think the OP is expecting too much from Amazon's search engine. They carry over 12 million items and must depend on the seller's description when they search. The search function gives you a bunch of potential matches, it's up to the buyer to review the product descriptions and decide if a particular product is right for them. Amazon also gives you the ability to ask the seller questions like "Does this fit a 2000 Ford Ranger?" I recently ordered new HID headlight bulbs for my wife's Mini and to be sure, I asked the vendor to confirm that the ones I selected were correct. They responded in less than 24 hours and I placed the order. They haven't arrived yet but if they don't fit I don't expect any problem returning them.
Update, minutes after I posted this my package (which wasn't scheduled to arrive for another week) just arrived and the bulbs look like the correct ones.

Bill George
08-26-2023, 7:37 AM
But I think the Vender bears the cost to Return when they agree to Sell on Amazon, and they have a say on what or when if ever they ok that Return. Amazon asks everyone do a 30 day Return credit but sometimes they decline and its posted No Returns.

Mike Henderson
08-26-2023, 12:39 PM
The vendor pays for returns. But regarding Bill's wipers, I've ordered wipers on Amazon. You know the sizes and just have to make sure you order what you need - no matter what the search returns.

Mike

Bill Dufour
08-27-2023, 7:42 PM
Yesterday afternoon I ordered special conductive grease for my car battery terminals, Oxguard. Next day delivery for free. Got the package today in a big box. they sent me a padlock with no key. online return system printed me a return label to drop it off for free at a ups store.
BilL D.

Bill Dufour
08-27-2023, 7:49 PM
The special conductive grease that amazon shipped me the other day is not conductive, it is an electrical insulator according to my meter. I will be returning that one as well. I can use non conductive disc brake grease to waterproof stuff at a much lower price.
BilL D

Bill George
08-27-2023, 10:08 PM
The special conductive grease that amazon shipped me the other day is not conductive, it is an electrical insulator according to my meter. I will be returning that one as well. I can use non conductive disc brake grease to waterproof stuff at a much lower price.
BilL D
Never used such grease in over 65 years on battery terminals. The idea of grease on the outside of battery terminals is to keep air and moisture away. That helps so corrosion won’t start.

What you ordered is for aluminum to aluminum or to copper we used on electrical buss bars.