PDA

View Full Version : Festool Rotex RO 150

Matt Meiser
02-01-2006, 9:55 PM
I heard a rumor late last week, and it is posted on the Festool site today--The Rotex RO 150 is being discontinued to be replaced by a new model. The old ones are being cleared out at $70 off the original price.

http://www.festoolusa.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=571494&id=7

I don't need more Festool. I don't need more Festool. I don't need more Festool. I don't need more Festool. I don't need more Festool....

Mark Singer
02-01-2006, 10:09 PM
Matt,
You might need more...? That is a really nice sander! It is a fine sander with a 3.6mm orbit , but it can remove saw marks from edges in the aggressive mode quickly....I really like that unit...its big ...but works well!

Russ Massery
02-01-2006, 10:13 PM
Keep telling yourself that,Matt. Seriously the Rotex 150 is a great sander and buffer. I'm just learning it's potential. I use it to sand after the planer or drum sander to remove machine marks. See Jim warned you about the green and black addiction.:rolleyes:

Frank Pellow
02-01-2006, 10:16 PM
Sure you need more Matt.

As I told you in another thread two thirds of the Festool Owner Group members who reported that they owned a sander owned two or more Festool sanders. I own three.

Matt Meiser
02-02-2006, 7:43 AM
I really won't be taking part in this deal--LOML would KILL me! I was just posting as a public service. I think my next Festool purchase will probably be the EQ 400, but probably not until at least summer.

Scott Parks
02-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Thanks Matt...:mad:
This is news my budget did NOT need to hear.....

Christopher Stahl
02-03-2006, 12:52 AM
I think it's time to pick me up an RO 150. Now if only the CT22 would go on clearance........ :)

chris

Rob Blaustein
02-03-2006, 1:53 PM
Don't mean to stir the pot, and Uncle Bob should certainly correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't always save as much as it seems when one of these tools gets phased out, assuming you can wait for its replacement. An example is the new TS55 circular saw that I recently got. New tools often come out at an intro price, and there are occasionally other deals as well. For example, when I got my saw, I got it as part of the MFT/saw combo promo, but also got to use additional coupons like the $25/tool "test drive" coupon for each, and a $25/tool "previous customer" coupon for each (so $100 total off). So I probably paid close to the sale price of the old saw, but maybe I got lucky timing wise. Not trying to disuade anyone, just keep the above in mind.

Bob Marino
02-03-2006, 2:11 PM
Don't mean to stir the pot, and Uncle Bob should certainly correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't always save as much as it seems when one of these tools gets phased out, assuming you can wait for its replacement. An example is the new TS55 circular saw that I recently got. New tools often come out at an intro price, and there are occasionally other deals as well. For example, when I got my saw, I got it as part of the MFT/saw combo promo, but also got to use additional coupons like the $25/tool "test drive" coupon for each, and a $25/tool "previous customer" coupon for each (so $100 total off). So I probably paid close to the sale price of the old saw, but maybe I got lucky timing wise. Not trying to disuade anyone, just keep the above in mind.

Actually, Rob the same discounts and rebates would have applied to the ATF saw - so the amount of difference in price would have been the same (in this case, $70.00) between the TS and ATF'S.
However, you are correct, when Festool introduces a new tool, it is always offered at an "introductory" price for a month or so.

Bob

Rob Blaustein
02-03-2006, 3:49 PM
Actually, Rob the same discounts and rebates would have applied to the ATF saw - so the amount of difference in price would have been the same (in this case, $70.00) between the TS and ATF'S.
However, you are correct, when Festool introduces a new tool, it is always offered at an "introductory" price for a month or so.

Bob
OK, I stand corrected. We'll chalk my error up to my slightly deceptive way of justifying to my wife the need to hold out for the newer saw AND for adding the MFT...
...AND, a new Rotex sander?...
I didn't say that, did I?

Mark Singer
02-03-2006, 4:26 PM
Bob,
Tell us about the new one??

Tyler Howell
02-03-2006, 4:30 PM
Sweeeeet machine!!!! New or old model. worth the investment:cool:

Bob Marino
02-03-2006, 7:01 PM
Bob,
Tell us about the new one??

This was posted on the Festool Owner's Group by Anthony Simmons, an Australian Festool sales rep. He has a photo on there also. Looks somewhat similar to the RO 125. Other than that picture, I have not seen it.

The new ROTEX 150 has a more powerful 720W motor, sanding pad
protector, easier to switch between mode, plug-it, reduced barrel
length as well. The protector is great, protects the pad, protects an
adjoining piece of timber, and stops the horrible kicking rotary
sanders make when you hit that adjoining piece.

I didn't really appreciate the protector on the RO125, but with the
power of this machine, it is a great thing to have fitted.

I really like the additional grunt. At the product launch (after
spending a bit of time using the ROTEX, I actually got more excited
about the new ROTEX than I did the DOMINO... go figure.

Anthony

John Lucas
02-03-2006, 7:51 PM
To follow on to Bob's post, I love thr Rotex 150. It has made woodw finishing a joy for me, and previously, I hated it. The new 150 will have some changes, but I woudl nt wait for it. The "old" 150 is the cat's meow.
Here is a google search of my site for this product: http://images.google.com/images?q=site%3Awoodshopdemos.com+rotex+150&ie=ISO-8859-1&hl=en
what it says, it a nutshell is thta I LOVE it. As a product reviewer, I will get the new product when it becomes available, but it is going to be hard for me to come up with superlatives. The Rotex 150 rocks. If there is a closeing out discount, use it to buy a good variety of sandpaper and buffing discs.
Bob M - are you still putting together sample packs of sandpaper discs? If so, he is your ISA man.