PDA

View Full Version : Getting back on the horse

Christopher Charles
08-24-2023, 12:21 PM
Hi all,

Getting to a couple of mitered through dovetail boxes after a long hand tool hiatus. Wanted to jump right in but decided it was probably worth doing a practice joint to shake off the cobwebs and double check dimensions. Turns out I was right...

Christopher Charles
08-24-2023, 3:01 PM
A bit tough to see in the photo, but the lesson was: remember to _not_ cut the outside pins to the baseline on both sides at the mitered corners. The outside of the pin only gets cut to the baseline on the inside of the joint, lest there is an extra kerf (seen on the left in the photo). Definitely saved time in the end!

Mark Rainey
08-24-2023, 5:52 PM
Chris, practice makes perfect. Unfortunately it is difficult to stay in the groove with all the woodworking joints. High repetition surely helps, but for us modern Neanders that is infrequent. I will watch for the finished product.

Derek Cohen
08-24-2023, 7:55 PM
Also.

Do not cut the mitres until after the tails have been marked on the pin board. This way you preserve the registration of the full socket (rather than using a half socket).

Tutorial: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/AnotherCoffeeTable2.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Christopher Charles
08-25-2023, 12:59 PM
Thanks Mark.

Derek, indeed your tutorial is excellent and I'd have done better if I'd reviewed it prior-lol!