PDA

View Full Version : Results from using Tormek fixture to sharpen 12" planer and jointer blades

Richard Coers
08-23-2023, 8:52 PM
We lost the last commercial grinding service in our region last October. When I recently saw a Tormek blade fixture on eBay at a great price, new in box, I spent the $150. I do have a 10" 1200 grit CBN wheel on the Jet machine. First setup took a bit to hit the perfect spot in the center of the bevel, but by the time I did the third blade, it only took 2 minutes and 40 seconds to get a shaving quality single 12" blade done. I put a few strokes on a water stone to cut off the burr from the back and then a few strokes on the front. Of course this isn't a cheap option if you don't have a Tormek or Jet, and the wheel is now $230 by itself, by I'm extremely pleased! No more $30 round trip shipping and $27 sharpening charges. Turning 71 next month, I doubt if I do enough blades to pay off the investment, but I sure do love fresh blades in a jointer!

Andrew Hughes
08-23-2023, 9:44 PM
I also use a Tormek to sharpen my jointer knives. I do send my blades back to my local saw service after 2 or 3 Tormek grinds. My experience is the bevel angle gets away from and the it’s not easy for me to keep the edge Straight. I use the Black stone.
My hss is T1 and M2.
Good to hear your success Richard