PDA

View Full Version : A New House-Update #14 Long-With Pix

Karl Laustrup
02-01-2006, 8:55 PM
February 1st, 2006

Didn't get up to the house today until about 11:30. Benny and the guys [4 altogether] were wondering what had happened. It was nice to see some extra bodies.

Anyway, they were well along with the sub floor. It was supposed to have rained last night, but we didn't get any of it. :)

By the time they left today the sub floor was complete and they had started laying out the 2x6's for the walls.

In yesterdays post http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30441 I had mentioned that I had to find out if I would need a new gas meter or possibly a new gas line. Well, all I need is a new higher output meter and there's no extra charge for that. :)

Sorry for the pics. Everything around the house is muddy. And now I can't get up high enough to get a good long range picture. Maybe tomorrow I'll climb on the roof of the garage and get a couple of pics.

How many walls will be up by tomorrow post?

Tune in tomorrow.

Karl

Steve Ash
02-01-2006, 9:13 PM
Karl,
My best guess is that all your exterior walls will be up tomorrow, interior walls Thursday, and trusses on by Friday.....just an "educated" guess....;)

Art Mulder
02-01-2006, 9:13 PM
Sooo, that yellow beam that pokes into the stair opening from the left... Is that a temporary beam? Just how far can those joists span unsupported?

Jim Becker
02-01-2006, 9:57 PM
They can go a long way, Art...depending on the size. The 12"-ers in my shop building span over 20'.
-----

Karl, 'looking great! I agree with Steve...you're rocking and rolling on this project!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-01-2006, 10:46 PM
Karl....Your contractor is making good progress and the WI weather is co-operating! Looking good!

Bill Simmeth
02-01-2006, 10:59 PM
Karl, congrats on being "floored"!

Karl Laustrup
02-02-2006, 4:39 AM
Sooo, that yellow beam that pokes into the stair opening from the left... Is that a temporary beam? Just how far can those joists span unsupported?

Remember Tool Time? Tim would always bump his head on the pipe as he went down into the basement. :eek: Well, I asked Benny if that's what he was trying to do with that protruding beam with the pressure treated addition. If that was left there I'd be hitting the noggin every time I went down to the basement. :eek: That will come out and the laminated beam will be cut off flush. At least that's what he told me. Maybe I should keep my sawzall handy just in case. ;) :D

The joists in the picture of the stairwell are spanning less than 12' unsupported. The others are spanning about 15' unsupported. No clue how far they could go unsupported.

Steve, I think you missed a day there bud. ;) :D I'd be happy with the exterior walls today [Thursday]. And some electricity to the garage. Need to start getting what was in the big box, from another thread, taken care of.

Karl

Steve Ash
02-02-2006, 7:48 AM
Steve, I think you missed a day there bud.
Karl

You mean they don't have a night shift crew?????:D I've been known to miss a day everyonce in a while.....missed her birthday once, ONLY once.

John Miliunas
02-02-2006, 8:18 AM
OK, so now that you have the floor laid out for your new shop, where's the house going???:D :D :D :cool:

Karl Laustrup
02-02-2006, 8:34 AM
OK, so now that you have the floor laid out for your new shop, where's the house going???:D :D :D :cool:

100 yards to the west between those big pines you see in some of the pics. :p ;) :D :D

Karl

Randy Moore
02-02-2006, 7:43 PM
.....missed her birthday once, ONLY once.:eek:

And you're still alive. My wife would of killed me............no questions asked:o