PDA

View Full Version : ArmRSeal Application

tim walker
08-22-2023, 8:07 PM
Started application on bare mesquite. Using regular shop towels to wipe on. it is absorbing faster than I anticipated. Should I put a little extra on to cover the absorption? I and apply in str8 strokes and then wiping off with a dry shop towel. How long should I allow it to sit before wiping it off?

John TenEyck
08-22-2023, 9:36 PM
Don't wipe it off. Arm-R-Seal is a wipe on and leave it product. It's no different than varnish you would brush on, just a little thinner so you can wipe it on with a cloth or paper towel.

The first coat or two may be completely or partially absorbed depending upon how porous the wood is, how fine it was sanded, and how generous the coats were applied. That's fine. Just keep applying additional coats. After 3 or 4 coats it should be completely sealed and then you will be able to build a film that will have a consistent sheen.

John

tim walker
08-23-2023, 2:15 PM
John, the can instructions say “wipe off excess evenly with the grain and with light pressure using a cloth or high quality absorbent paper towel”, why do do you advocate leaving on? Not being adversarial, just wondering.

John TenEyck
08-23-2023, 3:11 PM
That is a bit confusing how they worded that, but if you look a little further you'll see that no mention of wiping is made if applying by spray application except to address runs.

It's a film forming varnish, just one that's wiped, brushed, or sprayed on, and not wiped off.

John

Edwin Santos
08-25-2023, 5:17 PM
General Finishes has a series of videos on YouTube where they demonstrate the application process for many of their products.
Here is a link to the one on Arm-R-Seal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fb4U9toUrA

glenn bradley
08-25-2023, 8:08 PM
GF states in their instructions and shows in video that the "excess" is wiped off with the grain. This is following application with a rag soaked with the product. I tend to apply it more sparingly and rarely wipe it off when using it as a final top coat.

John TenEyck
08-25-2023, 9:34 PM
General Finishes has a series of videos on YouTube where they demonstrate the application process for many of their products.
Here is a link to the one on Arm-R-Seal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fb4U9toUrA

Thanks for posting that, Edwin. It's clear that he never wipes off the finish. You wouldn't see a glossy film had he done so. He just smooths it out with end-to-end strokes using the same applicator he applied it with. Whatever small amount is removed in that process is incidental. As I mentioned before, the written directions don't jive with how it's actually applied.

I liked that wrapped pad painter he used. Looks like a great way to do large surfaces.

As an aside, it looked like he had a lot more open time than I've experienced when using Arm-R-Seal.

John

Christian Hawkshaw
08-26-2023, 10:26 AM
My preferred way to apply Arm-R-Seal is to apply with a Wooster Foam King brush on a horizontal surface. I only do the "wiping" application to surfaces I can't easily get horizontal. This method then only requires 3 coats as it is a heavier coat. This method also works good for larger surfaces as with the table below:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?260610-Walnut-trestle-table&highlight=

Edwin Santos
08-29-2023, 4:44 PM
I agree with John T.
Think of Arm-R-Seal as a wiping varnish.
This said, I do believe it is both flexible and forgiving if you're inclined to experiment.

For example, in addition to the method of application shown in the video, a couple of variations I have done -

1. Thin the product a bit with mineral spirits and simply wipe on thinner coats, giving each coat ample time to dry followed by a light sanding with a sanding sponge, then another wiped on coat. I might continue this routine for 4-6 coats. Basically this is just creating 4-6 thinner coats as opposed to 2-3 conventional coats, and it creates a different, less built up look.

2. Thin the product a bit with mineral spirits, wipe on, let sit for about 10 minutes or so, then wipe most of it off with a disposable blue shop towel. Don't worry that you're removing too much and negating your efforts, you are still leaving behind a very thin coat.
I know, I know, this sounds suspiciously like the application for a penetrating finish like Watco or Osmo, and it is, but it works.
When I have used the Arm-R-Seal satin sheen, this method is the only way I could get a streak free finish.

Bottom line, if in doubt follow the video. But if you're in the mood to experiment, know Arm-R-Seal is flexible.

These photos are of a door I built and installed for an A/V closet. The center panel was sourced from a supplier who cut the pattern into White Oak veneered MDF using a laser cutting system. The decorative panel was finished with wiped on shellac, but the door frame is Alder stained with Transtint to match the existing doors in their house, and then topcoated with Arm-R-Seal satin using method #2 above. I was very happy with how flawless a finish it gave me. Plus applying it was easier (for me) than setting up to spray a tall door like this.

John TenEyck
08-29-2023, 9:34 PM
Finish aside, that is one impressive door, Edwin.

John

Edward Weber
08-30-2023, 10:32 AM
Finish aside, that is one impressive door, Edwin.

John

+1
Looking good