PDA

View Full Version : Parting Tools

richard dombroski
02-01-2006, 8:26 PM
Are the fluted parting tools worth the money they seem to be about double the regular ones?

Bernie Weishapl
02-01-2006, 8:34 PM
Richard I am sure you will get lots of opinions here but I looked at the fluted ones and bought the regular parting tool. It works for me.

Keith Burns
02-01-2006, 8:39 PM
I got one on the fluted ones and can't get it to work. Can't figure out the sharpening either. Keep going back to standard diamond shape.

Bill Stevener
02-02-2006, 12:15 AM
Hi Richard, I have several parting tools. The one I most favor is a Sorby fluted parting tool. Personally, I wish all tools worked as well as this tool. Cuts through any type of wood like a stick of butter and does not require as much sharpening attention as others. Not because it's a Sorby, I believe more in the style.

I can not speak for double the price to justify the same, as I purchased mine as the result of a passing neighbor, however it was never used.

I think if I knew they worked as well as they do, earlier in my turning days, I may well have added one to the tool rack, although I don't know how long they have been around.

If you plan on doing a lot of spindle turning, yes they are worth the money, shop around.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Michael Stafford
02-02-2006, 6:33 AM
I have a Sorby 1/16" fluted parting tool. I was able to use one in a class I took a while back. The main reason I bought it was to part the tenon off the bottom of segmented pieces with as little disturbance and vibration as possible and also to part box blanks in half to minimize grain loss and mismatch at the join. I find that it cuts like butter. I used it only for those two operations to this point.

My favorite parting tool however is the 1/8" Craftsman I have. It is a fine little tool for detail work, pen tenons, box flanges etc.

With the exception of the Sorby fluted I prefer the diamond shaped tools as they seem to bind less in the cut.