PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have one of These?

Bill George
08-20-2023, 7:16 PM
Just need something to run around the campground when needed it weighs like 66 lbs and will either ride inside the camper or in my pickup. Yes it can fold down if needed. Battery powered 500 watt brushless 48 volt DC motor. I tried a stand up scooter and at my age it was too tippy for me. This I can set down on and my legs can touch the ground if needed. Small seat in middle will not be installed.

Jim Becker
08-20-2023, 7:22 PM
Seems like a reasonable solution to me! The weight is manageable and the baskets bring versatility.

John Ziebron
08-20-2023, 9:58 PM
If you're worried about tippiness maybe a 3 wheel version might be better. And they have foldable ones too.

https://www.amazon.com/Folding-Electric-Trike/s?k=Folding+Electric+Trike

Rich Engelhardt
08-21-2023, 6:01 AM
My wife bought an electric trike.
They are very top heavy and - IMHO- very unstable and prone to tipping over.

Honda quit making the three wheeler decades ago for that reason - they were very unstable and prone to tipping.

The three wheel design is fine - as long as it stands still. Once it starts moving, it's a whole different ballgame.

Bill George
08-21-2023, 7:38 AM
I have a nice recumbent electric trike but its way big, but it is safe. I looked at these but they are sometimes tippy but they are so light and I only weigh 197 so not to heavy for it. They are $100 cheaper at Walmart than Amazon! In addition 26 lbs lighter than the other, but 1/2 the motor watts and battery size. TopMateES32

Jim Becker
08-21-2023, 9:37 AM
But that one doesn't come with the baskets which are pretty handy for your application, if I'm not mistaken. I guess you could add one, however. On uneven ground, the two wheeler "might" be easier to use, but I could be mistaken about that.

Bill Dufour
08-21-2023, 12:01 PM
1988 three wheel atv bikes were outlawed. Too tippy, too many deaths. I had one student die by going over the handlebars and landing on his head. snapped his neck I believe. He was by himself and no one found him all day.
Bill D

Bill George
08-21-2023, 1:30 PM
1988 three wheel atv bikes were outlawed. Too tippy, too many deaths. I had one student die by going over the handlebars and landing on his head. snapped his neck I believe. He was by himself and no one found him all day.
Bill D

Big difference between ridding 30 or 40 mph on a dirt trail or hill climbing than one who's top speed is 15 and on a sidewalk or side road. But advise taken, thanks.

Bill George
08-22-2023, 3:58 PM
I ended up with the aluminum folding one above as it can be used as a mobility scooter at airports and the like as well as outdoors. They have upgraded the rear axle to one at least 4 inches wider and the tires are now wider pneumatic air filled 10 inch instead of solid rubber.

Alan Lightstone
08-23-2023, 8:57 AM
I ended up with the aluminum folding one above as it can be used as a mobility scooter at airports
How does that work if you go on a flight? Does it get gate checked at the gate? Never seen one through security.

Bill George
08-23-2023, 9:26 AM
How does that work if you go on a flight? Does it get gate checked at the gate? Never seen one through security.

It has a 18650 powered lithium battery which has passed UN38.3 certification, can be checked as luggage or taken on as a wheel chair. Based on lithium iron phosphate chemistry (LiFePO4), the cells are inherently safe over a wide range of temperatures and conditions.

As far as safe, have you ever seen a 3 wheel motorcycle? Those 3 wheel ATVs that were banned because of kids being killed, was because mom and dad let those kids ride unsafe and without supervision. Very few adults had issues, same as the 3 wheel motorcycles.

Bill George
08-30-2023, 5:02 PM
It ended up going back, it was not too tippy but the killer was zero traction on grass or dirt and it had issues with inclines also, the front wheel drive was a no go. Ordered that fat tire scooter I posted first.