PDA

View Full Version : Black streaks in wood

Luis Reyes
08-19-2023, 7:25 PM
Hi all,

I bought a couple of pieces of wood at a local sawmill but they have these black streaks running through them after I plane the surface. The wood was kiln dried before I bought it. I’ve had this issue with cherry and beech now from the last purchase I made there. Is this an insect or what’s causing the streaks? I ended up using the cherry as practice for dovetails (initially was going to build a box). Pictures below

Thanks

luis

Brian Tymchak
08-19-2023, 7:39 PM
That's spalt, deteriation caused by fungus. Some people pay extra for that! But I would generally avoid it for furniture/cabinets, unless you can feature it somehow.

Luis Reyes
08-19-2023, 7:57 PM
That's spalt, deteriation caused by fungus. Some people pay extra for that! But I would generally avoid it for furniture/cabinets, unless you can feature it somehow.

Thanks for letting me know! I like spalted maple (but it seems more muted in the woods I've seen) but didn't realize it could occur in other woods too!

Jim Becker
08-19-2023, 7:58 PM
Yes, spalting can happen in a wide variety of species. It's typically more prevalent from logs that were left on the ground longer before milling and drying.

Richard Coers
08-19-2023, 8:54 PM
It can also be mineral streaks or gum spots. We'll need pictures to be specific. "Dark streaks that extend for several inches can be associated with the gum spots. Gum spots can be larger, and sometimes gum even follows an entire growth ring around the tree. These spots are caused by wounding or by a peach bark borer, which feeds on the tree cambium. The cambium responds by forming the gum spot."

Jim Becker
08-20-2023, 9:21 AM
Richard, there are photos in the OP. You'll need to become a Contributor to see them. They clearly show it's spalting.

Richard Coers
08-20-2023, 4:39 PM
Richard, there are photos in the OP. You'll need to become a Contributor to see them. They clearly show it's spalting.
Sorry Jim.