PDA

View Full Version : Design an art room

Jim Dunn
02-01-2006, 8:10 PM
I'm going to post/ask a question of you fellow, and gals. My wife is an awe inspiring artist! Now how do I know this, she tells me:p She has been scouring the web looking for a site like this devoted to artist. The media she use's is oil, colored pencils, acrylics and just about anything that marks on something else:eek:.

My question is a three parter.

1: Has anyone seen a room devoted to just artist? Can you direct me there? Have you seen a web forum for artists?

2: Does anyone have any ideas for artist type easels (sp) cabinets ect?

3: Have you or you spouse/friend/significant other:eek: had any experience with designing such a room or furniture for said hobby.

I'll gladly suggest that this thread be moved to the off topic forum if Mark feels it should be placed there. My intention was to suck some knowledge from some of the master designers that lurk in this area;)

Jim

David Fried
02-01-2006, 8:40 PM
Jim,

I downloaded a couple of plans for easels hoping to make one for a friend. Glad I never mentioned it since it's still a future project. Attached are one set of plans (The URL is in the plans). I'll hunt around for the other - I might find it :rolleyes:

Good hunting!

Dave Fried

Jim Becker
02-01-2006, 8:51 PM
The secret to a wonderful studio for an artist...is the light. But don't ask me for advise beyond that! :)

Seriously, I'm glad that this is on the table. Having a proper place to work, whether it's woodworking, sculpting or painting, is important when you are serious about the activity. I hope you are able to find the information you need!

Wes Bischel
02-01-2006, 9:21 PM
Jim,
I'm sure you can ask 100 artists what's most important and get 172 answers.:D Mom is an illustrator that does oil and watercolor painting. Her studio has a lot of light - natural north is preferable due in part to it's consistency. She uses track lighting for supplemental light for two reasons - 1. flexibility as projects change 2. easy to change out lighting character - halogen, incandescent, low voltage etc. Some other items which were important to her - not necessarily in order:
- water close by preferably a deep sink (oh and commode as well)
- no fuss finishes - easy to clean and no need to worry about spills etc. example, the floor is VCT commercial flooring tile easy to strip the wax.
- vertical racks for canvases and portfolio storage
- horizontal files (drawers) for papers etc.

As for easels, she has two kinds - one for the studio, one for on-site. The studio unit is heavy and stable - the on-site unit is light with the ability to hang weight on it to make it stable.

I'm sure there are more details, they just don't come to mind right now.
Wes

Pam Niedermayer
02-02-2006, 10:19 AM
Jim, my new workshop was designed as a studio as much as a woodworking shop. To that end, there will be piles of north light, wall space to be used as easel substitutes, large square assembly table, deep sink for sharpening tools as well as mixing paints and the like, large open areas, a separate 10X16 finishing area with another long sink that will on occasion double as a darkroom, bathroom (eventually, maybe only a toilet at first), and kitchenette.

Pam

Jim Dunn
02-03-2006, 9:13 AM
I wanted to thank all that posted to this thread and all that took the time to read it as well.

My wife has come to the conclusion that light is probably the most important thing to consider at this time. So as the resident electrician I've got my work cut out for me.

Thanks again.

Jim