PDA

View Full Version : SMC Server Backup Tonight Causing Slowdown

Keith Outten
02-01-2006, 8:08 PM
We are running a total backup of the SMC server tonight which is causing things to slow down considerably. Sorry for the loss of performance but these things have to be done periodically. This backup will be the first on our new network drive, in the future we will perform backups later in the evening which will be great for the east coast but not our west coast Members.

Keith

Matt Warfield
02-01-2006, 8:15 PM
Keith,

I'm aware we can all donate the cash for the operating costs. Is there any need to have server hardware donated? As I work for a server manufacturer, I often have freebies come my way.

Matt

Keith Outten
02-02-2006, 12:48 AM
Matt,

If you have hardware we can use it would sure be appreciated. Aaron is always interested in improving our server...you can never have enough clamps or a server that is too fast :)

Thanks,

Keith

John Miliunas
02-02-2006, 8:11 AM
Hey, couldn't we put up the upcoming "Shop Tours" module on a seperate server??? :confused: :D Matt, thanks so much for your consideration! :) Obviously, the waters of the Creek flow deep!!! Way cool. :) :cool:

Karl Laustrup
02-02-2006, 8:39 AM
Hey that's a great idea Spring.

I've been trying to tell these guys that there's more between your ears than cheese. :eek: :D

And I concur with Spring, thanks for the offer Matt.

Karl

Keith Outten
02-02-2006, 10:22 AM
John,

Since we are talking about our near future, probably 90 to 120 days here are some points to consider;

The Shop Tours module will most likely have to be hosted on another server, not in the beginning but soon after our Members start creating their shop tours. Access will be controlled via the SMC database so your username and password will be the same as for our Forums.

We must consider two other issues;

1- If our internet connection canot handle the increased traffic we will need to add another pipe.

2- We will probably have to limit viewing access to Members, guests will not be able to view any of the photos and we will have to install some protective device to prevent anyone from using our Shop Tours as a photo and file server for reasons other than our woodworking shop tours. We would like to host everyone's shop tours without limits but we don't want anyone to link to photos on our server from other sites.

If you look closely at the Statistics graphics I posted the other day you can see we already are moving a huge amount of data each month. Our current pipe still has room to grow so we don't have a situation that requires any kind of action right now. We do have the capability of excluding Guests from viewing our photos to save bandwidth but we prefer not to go in that direction unless we are forced.

I'm sure we can deal with any isue that comes our way, there are lots of ways to keep our performance level above the demand, as always it is a matter of our ability to satisfy our financial obligations. I am always looking beyond our current situation in an effort to prevent problems, it's a habit I acquired from running Hampton Roads Online for ten years. Reliability is the most important issue with performance running a close second.