PDA

View Full Version : Felder jointer planer

Kevin Jenness
08-17-2023, 11:58 AM
I am considering checking out a Felder 12" unit listed as a CF731 which appears to be a jointer-planer which has been separated from the saw/shaper half of a full-on combination machine. Not much detail on it, including the age. I assume it's a straight-knife head. The control box looks rather complicated which makes me wonder if it is a three phase machine equipped with some type of phase converter. Can anyone fill me in on it? https://nh.craigslist.org/tls/d/conway-felder-cf731-jointer-planer-combo/7647307329.html

Dan Friedrichs
08-17-2023, 12:56 PM
Must be relatively new given the green color. Pictures make it look like straight knives, yes.

It also looks to be single-phase (which is what the ad says, and also evident by the contents of the electrical box). The complexity is because:
1) The motor can be reversed to run the mortising option
2) The motor doesn't use a centrifugal switch to engage and disengage the start capacitors, you have to hold down the power button for a few seconds until the machine is up to speed (then release it to disengage the start capacitors). This is typical.

Looks like it might be a good deal!

Denis Rezendes
08-17-2023, 1:25 PM
I reached out to the owner recently but passed on it as I'm looking for a 16" unit. Here's his response to my questions. Hopefully this give you a little more info.

"I believe the machine is a 2007 but don't hold me to that. When the machine was separated from the table saw, the back panel with the serial number stayed with original owner. It has a 12" cutting width and is a single phase hookup. It was used about a year ago with no issues. I just haven't had time to use it and have gotten tired maintaining it. It's fairly accessible to get to as well. You can back in a small trailer with a winch into our basement."

Aaron Inami
08-17-2023, 1:36 PM
Good thing. In the pictures, the control box has no wiring attached to the machine, so the statement that "it was used about a year ago" should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm going to guess that "used a year ago" was when it was still attached to the main table saw. I think he just hasn't gotten around to attempt to make the wiring work. I would be suspicious of this item.

Jonathan Jung
08-17-2023, 2:15 PM
If it's being difficult for him to sell it, then it will be for the next owner too.

Dan Friedrichs
08-17-2023, 4:28 PM
I think you guys are being too negative. There is no control circuitry or anything fancy in it (aside from the table and dust chute interlocks) - it's just a single-phase motor. And the j/p side of a combo is more-or-less a regular j/p. Presuming you have the basic electrical skills needed to follow the (Felder-supplied?) wiring diagram, there is nothing at all wrong with this.

Jonathan Jung
08-17-2023, 5:10 PM
I was thinking along the lines that it's an odd machine, not having a model or serial #, so reselling wouldn't be straightforward. And he says he is tired of maintaining it, I wonder what with? Maybe a bed or two is not flat?

Dan Friedrichs
08-17-2023, 5:13 PM
Ah, totally fair points. Yeah, definitely worth checking flatness, etc!

Kevin Jenness
08-17-2023, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the information. The seller is going to power it up. I'm not concerned about the lack of a nameplate as long as it does what it is designed to do at a fair price. I will certainly give it a close inspection. I haven't had my hands on a machine like this so it will at least be educational.

Jim Becker
08-18-2023, 9:48 AM
I think that's the key, Kevin...insuring it's working properly within reason before you put out your shekels and take it home.

George Yetka
08-18-2023, 10:00 AM
The price seams pretty fair but you could for another 800 get a new hammer 12" j/p with carbide inserts. This would eliminate any fear of issues, reduce your future cost of knives, be easily reselable

https://www.felder-group.com/en-us/shop/jointer-planers-jointers-planers-sc613746/jointer-planer-hammer-a3-31-incl-silent-power-cutterblock-sp979003

Dan Friedrichs
08-18-2023, 4:51 PM
True, but this is basically an AD531, isn't it? A class up from the Hammer, and 250lbs heavier (638lbs vs 880lbs), and lists for $7,500.

Bill Dufour
08-18-2023, 6:16 PM
Is it really just a jointer? I do not see any flip up planer feature.
Bill D

Jim Becker
08-18-2023, 7:35 PM
Is it really just a jointer? I do not see any flip up planer feature.
Bill D
Yes...the combo machines feature jointer/thicknessers and this was separated from a combo. Most big combo machines don't actually feature the ability to split because of resource sharing.

Curt Harms
08-19-2023, 10:47 AM
If that's really just a jointer, I know 12" jointers are $$$$ but $3500 seems like a chunk of change for a not-really stand alone jointer.

Dan Friedrichs
08-19-2023, 11:02 AM
It's a combo. You can see the lifting handles and lock levers on the front. There's also no 5-in-1 combos lacking a planer, lol. And the ad clearly says "Jointer Planer Combo" in the title.

Rod Sheridan
08-21-2023, 3:11 PM
It’s a four post planer unlike the newer machines.

It has been refitted with an external starter which saves you time and effort.

Since the starter has capacitors in it, it’s a single phase machine, 230 volts.

If you buy it, get a photo of the saw/shaper nameplate so you have a serial number for parts.

Regards, Rod

Richard Link
08-27-2023, 9:41 AM
Just for completeness' sake - I have a 2009-ish vintage CF731 combo machine with the jointer planer (green livery). It is a 16" model so not sure where the 12" came from. These are really nice machines but I have no idea whether purchasing a detached unit would carry a lot of headaches.

Greg Quenneville
08-27-2023, 3:50 PM
I always understood the CF731 to be a 12” machine (or actually 31cm), and the CF741 to be 16”.

I have owned a CF731 and now a BF6-31 and they are both 12” units.

Greg