PDA

View Full Version : Space heater ?

Brian Runau
08-15-2023, 9:49 AM
I have a little 1500 watt space heater I use in my basement shop. I keep the furnace vents shut year round unless I am doing finishing work in the winter. My furnace is in the basement and keeps the unfinished basement reasonably warm. I will turn it on when I do finishing work to take the chill off the basement during the winter and then and open the HVAC vents. I never leave it plugged in when I am not in the shop. In the summertime I only turn it on when I do finishing to raise the temp above ambient. For some reason it is cycling on and off during the summer. I took it upstairs into the garage and plugged it in on a 75 degree day. It ran fine and did not cycle on and off. The wiring in the shop is reasonably new, installed just for the shop 15-18 years ago.

I can't figure out why it works in my garage, but not in the basement?

Thanks.

Brian

Ed Aumiller
08-15-2023, 11:05 AM
Possibly because the garage has more area and more air flow ??

Bill Dufour
08-15-2023, 12:10 PM
Climate/location? 75 F heat should not come on unless you have the thermostat cranked up over 68 or so. How cold is the basement in summer/winter?
Bill D

Brian Runau
08-15-2023, 12:33 PM
I moved it around 3 different spots in the basement, worked fine. I can only guess it was to close to the work bench and it was to small an area, I pulled it back 2 ft and it worked fine. Thanks men.

Rich Engelhardt
08-16-2023, 5:35 AM
I moved it around 3 different spots in the basement, worked fine. I can only guess it was to close to the work bench and it was to small an area, I pulled it back 2 ft and it worked fine. Thanks men.
I was going to ask if it had a proximity sensor. Sounds like it does.

Bill Dufour
08-16-2023, 10:06 AM
103 here yesterday my furnace has not run in months. I never heat the shop in summer. Why do you have to heat it now. Are you in the southern hemisphere?
Bil lD