PDA

View Full Version : Are Vintage Stanley Plane Nickers Interchangeable?

Stew Denton
08-13-2023, 10:22 PM
The old stanley combination planes and filister planes, etc, had different types of nickers, but a few had clover leaf nickers. Are these nickers interchangeable between say the 45, 55, and 78? Also, could the single leaf nicker on the 50 be used in these same 3?

Also, some had what I would call a spur type nicker, I know some of the older 55s, and maybe some of the older 45s, as well as the 46 had this type of nicker. Are these interchangeable between the various Stanley planes that used this type of nicker?

Same question regarding the machine screws that are used to attach these nickers to the plane.

Thanks and regards,

Stew

Jim Koepke
08-14-2023, 10:39 AM
I believe the clover leaf nickers were standard on the #45 and on #55s in the SW era. Early #55s used an oval knicker.

My rabbet plane is a Record #778 and was made before they (if ever) had nickers.

My #50 is an early model and I do not recall if it has a nicker. I have to be in Oregon today and will not be able to check until later today.

jtk

Tom M King
08-14-2023, 11:29 AM
I remember when Stanley had a lady in charge of replacement parts available on the phone. I forget what all I ordered from her over the years, but the last time I called was for some replacement nickers. She was so glad to have someone to talk to that I remember thinking she probably made the Maytag repairman (advertised back then as the loneliest person in town) look like a very happy person with plenty to do. I don't remember when that was, but a little bag with three nickers showed up in an envelope for no charge.

I can't remember which ones fit what, but I have spares in those toolboxes. I wonder what happened to all those spare parts.

Daniel Culotta
08-14-2023, 1:49 PM
I have an old 78 (pre 1909) that had a worn down clover knicker. I bought a (vintage) replacement, no idea what it came off of. It was a very tight fit, a couple of swipes with a small file made it press in easily.

So, from my sample size of one, the clover styles are close but may need slight adjustment.

steven c newman
08-14-2023, 2:48 PM
Biggest difference I have found...the length of the bolt that holds them in place.

Here is another version..
This is a Sargent No. 79, Type 2....Sold as a Craftsman No. 3720....note the knicker?

Is it a Knicker or is it a Nicker?

David Carroll
08-14-2023, 3:34 PM
I have an old 78 (pre 1909) that had a worn down clover knicker. I bought a (vintage) replacement, no idea what it came off of. It was a very tight fit, a couple of swipes with a small file made it press in easily.

So, from my sample size of one, the clover styles are close but may need slight adjustment.

Ditto. I have an old Stanley 78 and the Millers Falls equivalent, I wore the nicker (that's always how I've spelled it, like in the nick of time, or I nicked myself shaving) down to nothing on the MF. I bought a modern Stanley replacement and it fit the Stanley just fine, the MF needed some fitting with a file, but worked well.

DC