PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about the origin of Cole Jaws

Russell Neyman
08-10-2023, 4:26 PM
I'm composing a piece about "Fun Woodturning Facts" and can't seem to find out why large format scroll chuck jaws are called "Cole Jaws." Anyone know? I'm assuming that was the name of the company or individual who invented them, but I can't conform it.

Max Monts
08-10-2023, 9:31 PM
I'm composing a piece about "Fun Woodturning Facts" and can't seem to find out why large format scroll chuck jaws are called "Cole Jaws." Anyone know? I'm assuming that was the name of the company or individual who invented them, but I can't conform it.

I THINK I remember reading somewhere that a fellow's last name of Cole developed the jaws and was associated with the early days of the NOVA folks. I look forward to someone who can either corroborate or correct this. Good question! My Google search came up with nada...

Edward Weber
08-11-2023, 12:12 PM
I THINK I remember reading somewhere that a fellow's last name of Cole developed the jaws and was associated with the early days of the NOVA folks. I look forward to someone who can either corroborate or correct this. Good question! My Google search came up with nada...
That was my suspicion as well. Most other manufacturers simply call them Jumbo or flat jaws.

Neil Strong
08-11-2023, 8:06 PM
Can't help you with the story behind Cole jaws, but here is the interesting story behind the Longworth chuck...

"Leslie Douglas Longworth of the Hunter Valley Woodturners (NSW, Australia) developed the chuck in the late 1980′s. He showed it to the club and left it for them to examine however that night he passed away and the club refined Leslie's design and patented it in his name." https://www.carbatec.com.au/article/266/how-to-make-a-longworth-chuck

roger wiegand
08-12-2023, 7:49 AM
I'd ask the folks at Teknatool, their customer service has been very responsive in my experience.