PDA

View Full Version : SawStop Throat Plate

tim walker
08-09-2023, 8:33 PM
I have noticed recently that my zero clearance throat plate hasn't been sitting flat. I have check for debris, cleaned it well and adjusted the set screws. As soon as I get one adjusted flat to the top, the other one is funky and not flush. And when i slide my fence over it grabs at the edge. I noticed this recently as I was having a hard time getting it to go in. The plate for dado's fits just fine. Its almost like it is warped. Any suggestions from you SawStop owners. 52" PCS

Jason White
08-09-2023, 8:39 PM
Make your own out of plywood.

Bruce Wrenn
08-09-2023, 9:19 PM
Turn plate upside down on saw top, and check to see if it's warped. If it rocks, it's warped.

Rich Engelhardt
08-10-2023, 9:24 AM
Make your own out of plywood.Make a dozen while you're at it. It doesn't take that much extra effort.

Frank Pratt
08-10-2023, 10:21 AM
Make your own out of plywood.

Making a SawStop plate out of plywood is not the trivial task it is with most saws. There are recesses machined into the bottom side that complicate things.

glenn bradley
08-10-2023, 10:25 AM
Turn plate upside down on saw top, and check to see if it's warped. If it rocks, it's warped.

Making a SawStop plate out of plywood is not the trivial task it is with most saws. There are recesses machined into the bottom side that complicate things.

+1 on these. The phenolic (or whatever it is) is pretty stable and not prone to warp. Despite this I would check for warping first. If the set screws can't get it in plane the insert almost has to be warped.

Michael Burnside
08-10-2023, 8:45 PM

Agreed. It’s like they suggested it but didn’t do it. I actually designed mine in CAD and milled them on my CNC. Including all the necessary voids. There isn’t any “plywood” dimension either. Mine run 0.68” so I use hardwood. That said, I still prefer the phenolic versions from SawStop unless I really need exactly ZERO clearance all around.

OP they shouldn’t warp but suggestions above are good advice. If it is warped, call SawStop, I bet they’ll replace it.

tim walker
08-11-2023, 1:03 PM
So I discovered the issue. Some how the two rear most hold down screws and moved for whatever reason. On the SS the throat plate has two set screws that go underneath the hold down screws (effectively preventing the blade from flying off at that point). After adjusting these the throat fits nicely and within .001" of the table top. Thanks Bruce Wrenn for the tip on just turning it upside down to test for warpage. Guess the one I ordered will just have to be returned or used as a backup at some point.

Warren Lake
08-11-2023, 2:00 PM
id make your own inserts 3/4 baltic router below as needed simple and quality make five at a time so you have them router for the blade clearance below. Im sure the metal original from the SCM is not straight and the ply supplied with the saw thinner ply are warped as well. I had to hand plane the one in it now and its still not perfect but good enough.

Ray Newman
08-11-2023, 2:43 PM
If anyone is a Fine Woodworking digital member, the 2016 Tools and Shop issue has an article on shop fabricating a SawStop ZCI -- including measurements -- last page of this pdf:

https://www.finewoodworking.com/membership/pdf/19921/011251058.pdf

tim walker
08-11-2023, 4:28 PM
id make your own inserts 3/4 baltic router below as needed simple and quality make five at a time so you have them router for the blade clearance below. Im sure the metal original from the SCM is not straight and the ply supplied with the saw thinner ply are warped as well. I had to hand plane the one in it now and its still not perfect but good enough.

Actually the OEM supplied throat is a phenolic resin and probably molded

Jim Becker
08-11-2023, 4:52 PM
SawStop is different and the throat plates latch in with a lever that's part of the throat plate and cannot move.

Warren Lake
08-11-2023, 5:10 PM
lets see one

Michael Burnside
08-11-2023, 6:06 PM
SawStop is different and the throat plates latch in with a lever that's part of the throat plate and cannot move.

I designed my own in Vectric with all the cavities and even inserts for the set screws. The one piece missing is the metal lever, which I really like. It’s on my todo list, then I can try milling phenolic, which will be a new experience for me.

Frank Pratt
08-12-2023, 11:28 AM
Actually the OEM supplied throat is a phenolic resin and probably molded

No, it is machined from flat stock.

Warren Lake
08-12-2023, 12:28 PM
I did look them up and maybe didnt get it but didnt see too much fancy stuff did see some handle type thing I wasnt sure about. First table saw ive seen with something more complicated than others. Baltic birch works well for other saws if it can be found.

Peter Mich
08-13-2023, 9:34 AM
For the visual learner, Sawmill Creeker Steven Woodward has a great YT piece on making SS throat plates: https://youtu.be/PGWh1nq3wJ0

James Jayko
08-14-2023, 9:21 AM

IIRC there was an article in FWW that laid out all the complications and included a plan.

Michael Burnside
08-14-2023, 4:51 PM
IIRC there was an article in FWW that laid out all the complications and included a plan.

I was able to get the Fusion360 cad files and generate a new setup, adding set screws, etc, within Vcarve Pro. It’s not terribly difficult after that to carve your own. I have found that planing after milling is the best way to ensure a flush fit.

That said, if you don’t care about being able to use the full blade, the voids are not explicitly necessary and you could fashion up a flat piece of stock and call it good.

Rich Konopka
08-20-2023, 11:19 AM
I just picked up a new sawstop plate for 33 bucks at woodcraft yesterday. It is most likely warped.

Rich Konopka
08-20-2023, 11:30 AM
My bad. It was $39

tim walker
08-20-2023, 1:51 PM
Still a good deal. $59 on Woodcraft website