PDA

View Full Version : Good studfinder?

Michael Rutman
08-09-2023, 6:20 PM
I have tried many of the highly rated stud finders and am quite frustrated. I have some that work, until they don’t. It will definitely show me a stud, I move up and down a bit, still showing, drill a hole, nope, it was off by 3 inches. 95% of the time, they are great, but are there any really really really good stud finders?

roger wiegand
08-09-2023, 6:34 PM
I can't testify as to "really good"-- there are too many ways to defeat a stud finder, but this one from Franklin (https://www.amazon.com/Franklin-Sensors-FS710PROProSensor-Professional-Finder/dp/B0195K8OT4/ref=asc_df_B0195K8OT4/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309760780746&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1151033036767896064&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001879&hvtargid=pla-421592047370&psc=1) is hands down the best I've ever tried. (and I've tried many)

Even the pound a nail in every half inch method can be defeated by lath or furring

Dave Sweeney
08-09-2023, 7:05 PM
Totally agree that the Franklin is the best I've ever used. Ever since I've had mine it has functioned perfectly ever single time. If you need to use one often or even if you don't, the Franklin is well worth the expense.

Bill Dufour
08-09-2023, 7:20 PM
The Franklin is made in USA and sold by Horrible Fright. IT IS BY FAR THE BEST.
BILL D.

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/measuring-marking/stud-finders-metal-detectors/prosensor-m150-stud-finder-57219.html

Josh Molaver
08-09-2023, 8:17 PM
Not to pile on, but Franklin is ‘the one’

Jack Frederick
08-09-2023, 8:33 PM
I use a rare earth magnet.

Cameron Wood
08-09-2023, 9:15 PM
https://www.homedepot.com/p/C-H-Hanson-Magnetic-Stud-Finder-3040/202563186?g_store=&source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&pla&mtc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D25T-025_001_HAND_TOOLS-NA-Multi-NA-PMAX-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-Hand_Tools&cm_mmc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D25T-025_001_HAND_TOOLS-NA-Multi-NA-PMAX-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-Hand_Tools-71700000113231510--&gclid=CjwKCAjw8symBhAqEiwAaTA__DwbDV2eL63uetg78IDI kH6GSpua-EurRHJgqsy-cQ1zjO01nwn1ghoCO8kQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

This one for the win. Not great on plaster, but neither are the electronic ones.

John Ziebron
08-09-2023, 10:15 PM
Another vote for the Franklin. Had it for about 15 years and has never let me down.

Dan Rude
08-09-2023, 11:18 PM
I use the Franklin as well. It has some trouble on my Rocklath walls, but still got me almost perfect on the stud when I hung my 55" TV. I do know approximately where the studs are, because the garage only has drywall on the other side.

Aaron Inami
08-10-2023, 12:16 AM
I have an older Zircon Studsensor AC that has worked well (though not perfect). I also have a new Zircon Superscan M4 that also kind of works, but is somewhat unpredictable. I think the old Studsensor works a lot better.

It is expensive, but I have been wanting to try the Walabot:

https://walabot.com/

Many of the problems with studfinders are the unpredictability with different types of studs, crossmembers, and metal piping/electrical. The Walabot appears to be promising as it will show you exactly what is behind the wall.

Michael Rutman
08-10-2023, 8:33 AM
Sadly, I have the Franklin, which I thought was good until the other night when it couldn’t find a stud in a wall that went up 6 months ago. Sounds like I am not going to get better.

wallabot looks pretty gimmicky in YouTube reviews. Oh well.

Tom M King
08-10-2023, 8:49 AM
I have several from different manufacturers. If one doesn't work, another one will. There doesn't seem to be any predictability to what you're going to get until you put one on the wall.

Alan Lightstone
08-10-2023, 8:53 AM
The Franklin has worked pretty well for me.

Steve Jenkins
08-10-2023, 9:49 AM
Most of my use is with Sheetrock. I’ve found that the Studbuddy at Home Depot or Lowes for less than 10 bucks works the best. It’s just a couple magnets in a torpedo shape. Only finds Sheetrock screws or nails.

Andrew More
08-10-2023, 10:15 AM
Another vote for magnets. That having been said, they don't seem to work as well with the smaller nails in lathe. Drywall screws it rules.

Aaron Inami
08-10-2023, 10:45 AM
The challenge with the magnet is the dependency on the exact location of the nail/screw. This doesn't necessarily mean "exact center of stud", so you still will not have a 100% confidence on where the stud edges are.

Patty Hann
08-10-2023, 1:18 PM
Another vote for magnets. That having been said, they don't seem to work as well with the smaller nails in lathe. Drywall screws it rules.

I use magnets also. I had some short cylindrical ones and also some 1/2" diam spherical ones (or as most people say "sperical" :rolleyes:).
I like using the "sperical" ones because they are easier to remove from a surface and they attach exactly over the nail/screw.
(And I've only used them on sheet rock)

Kris Cook
08-10-2023, 1:46 PM
I have also been frustrated with stud sensors and have gone through a few of them. I have a Zircon HD70 I have had for a while and it works fairly well and shows the "center" of a stud fairly reliably. Haven't tried the Franklin. May have to check it out. I also have a Walabot connected to an old cell phone. It isn't the easiest thing to use but has come in handy for finding wires and other things behind drywall.

Cameron Wood
08-10-2023, 2:17 PM
I had one of the early Zircon ones. I hated that thing- an ergonomic insult. Similarly, in rock climbing, I tried using walkie talkies for a while. Good when they worked, but when they didn't, you're worse off. An electronic stud finder can help you to screw right into a conduit or vent.

Derek Meyer
08-10-2023, 2:24 PM
I have the Wallabot, and it has worked pretty well for me in limited use. I still reach for the Franklin most of the time, as it is more convienent than the Wallabot, which requires you to use your phone as the viewing device.

Tom M King
08-10-2023, 3:35 PM
The Franklin with multiple lights is great for putting up crown molding and other moldings. Not only does it show you where the stud is, but you can use it to hold the molding up while you shoot a nail with the other hand.

Bert McMahan
08-10-2023, 6:59 PM
I've looked at the walabot a few times, hoping for updates, and have never been able to find anyone reviewing it positively. I don't think it works any differently than normal stud detectors; it just adds a much better screen.

Bernie Kopfer
08-20-2023, 11:11 AM
My exwife 🤣

Dave Fitzgerald
08-21-2023, 9:57 AM
Sadly, I have the Franklin, which I thought was good until the other night when it couldn’t find a stud in a wall that went up 6 months ago. Sounds like I am not going to get better.

Just for kicks, try Franklin CS. Since the consensus is that theirs is the best unit available and you're not getting good results, perhaps you have one that's out of whack? I have no idea whether or not they will be helpful, but it may be worth the time to find out.

William Fretwell
09-09-2023, 9:34 PM
Have an infra red viewer/camera. When it’s colder outside, on outside walls, you can see the studs behind the dry wall very clearly. You can see all of them at once!
Does not work on interior walls however.

Lee Schierer
09-10-2023, 8:01 AM
I use a rare earth magnet.

I do the same thing. It works well and magnets don't lie.

Kevin Jenness
09-10-2023, 9:14 AM
Magnets are reliable, though they don't necessarily indicate center. If you can tolerate patching very small holes, an ice pick or 1/16" drill bit for exploratory surgery can be definitive. Ideally every construction job would result in an archive of as-built photographs including framing layout with measurements which the next guy could lay his hands on. Maybe in the future we will have the information embedded in the walls in digital form. or our genes will be modified for x-ray vision.

Tom M King
09-10-2023, 9:23 AM
Magnets work good through copper too for finding machine screw anchors507458507459.

Christopher Charles
09-13-2023, 12:07 AM
I also use magnets and a tip I picked up from Ramon Valdez is to wrap in blue tape with a tab for a handle. Makes much easier to slide across a wall without fear of marking.

Matthew Hills
09-20-2023, 4:15 PM
I use an old zircon and also try to capture a row of nailheads with a magnet to confirm.
It is fiddly, but missing the stud isn't fun, either.

Matt

Jerome Stanek
09-21-2023, 7:39 AM
I once saw a guy use the search and destroy method. He had about 20 holes but still didn't find the stud. He was spacing the hole to far apart. It just happened to be in the vice pres of constructions office that had hired us to remodel. I had done a lot of work for them and at most of their private houses so he called me in to repair the damage.