PDA

View Full Version : Washing machines - making modern ones effective?

Stephen Tashiro
08-09-2023, 2:28 PM
Many of my friends complain that their modern washing machines do not get loads of clothes completely wet. They also complain about the "feature" that the lid locks while the machine is running. Are there hacks to get around these inconveniences? Are there modern machines that don't have these problems?

Kent A Bathurst
08-09-2023, 2:44 PM
.... the "feature" that the lid locks while the machine is running...hacks to get around th....

Yes. It's been around for well over 400 years.

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"
- Wm. Shakespeare, [I]Henry VI

Ken Fitzgerald
08-09-2023, 4:38 PM
Many of my friends complain that their modern washing machines do not get loads of clothes completely wet. They also complain about the "feature" that the lid locks while the machine is running. Are there hacks to get around these inconveniences? Are there modern machines that don't have these problems?

I suspect, based on the experience with our new washing machine, in an effort to use less water, the machine measures the height of the load and dispenses water appropriately to cover the load. How ever, our top load LG washing machine has a button "Water Plus" that seems to override the machine's original function and uses more water. The locked lid can be opened on our machine by simply pushing the same button that starts the washing process.

Michael Schuch
08-09-2023, 4:52 PM
Top load or front load. My front load LG does an excellent job and gets all laundry both wet and clean. It also does an excellent job with water extraction in the spin cycle.

I am guessing that you are talking about top load machines?

Brian Runau
08-09-2023, 5:18 PM
We have a top load LG with front controls, easy to reach. Doesn't like large loads, error message on spin with large loads. Had to replace the 4 balance rods after 5 years, not sure if this is early. Push button to unlock. Direct drive dryer. Brian

Tom M King
08-09-2023, 6:08 PM
We wear out a washing machine in the dog room about every two or three years. We just get the cheap LG front loaders. They do a fine job with washing really dirty stuff, but even the better ones short of commercial machines won't last with 2 or 3 loads a day for that long.

In a rental house, where there is a Lot of laundry to do between guests, including lake towels and thick bedding, we recently replaced an ancient Maytag top loader that still worked but was noisy and slow, with the largest top loader LG. It does a remarkable job with large loads and is relatively fast and quiet. It even has a waterproof materials cycle, so all the mattress covers can be washed safely, and it does a great job with those too.

Jim Koepke
08-09-2023, 6:25 PM

When we had a top loader Candy would stick a plastic fork into the place where the lid closed switch was located. She like to run with the lid up.

In my younger years my dad would often take me with him on deliveries or repairs of washing machines. At one time there was actually a washing machine that had a scale built into the lid so the clothes could be weighed before being washed. This was to help prevent overloading the machine. Some machines had a line inside of the tub to indicate how much to put in. Some used the fins on the agitator to show how much could be put in the machine. The instructions always said to not pack the items being loaded.

Overloading has always been a problem with washing machines. You have no idea how long it took me to get Candy to not stuff as many clothes as possible into our machine(s).

jtk

roger wiegand
08-09-2023, 6:29 PM
We buy 20+ year old used Maytag family washers from our local appliance repair guy who completely refurbishes them. They are then good for another 15-20 years.
The new alternative is Speed Queen, a little pricey, poor in buttons and screens, but works well (and quickly) for a long time.

Jim Becker
08-09-2023, 8:26 PM
Not experiencing that with our GE "smart" machines, although they are front load. Didn't have that problem with the LG units in the old property, either. For front loaders, locking is mandatory. I suspect for a top loader there's a specific reason they are doing that.

Bruce Wrenn
08-09-2023, 9:13 PM
Currently using a rescued Kenmore, that's about 20 years old. Original owner tried to fix it after watching You Tubes. Snapped mounting prongs into windings of the motor. Used motor cost me forty bucks. Replaced the pump (it was starting to leak) about five years ago. When washer quits, I have enough spare parts from salvaged washers to completely rebuild it. Takes less than 30 minutes to do a complete cycle. Daughter's Samsung takes over two hours to do a load. Wash, stop, wash, stop, repeat again and again.

Rick Potter
08-10-2023, 3:49 AM
Speed Queen makes a basic HD washing machine, and is even available with a manual timer rather than electronics if you prefer. We preferred.

EDIT: Of course, dryers too.

Bill George
08-10-2023, 9:39 AM
Our front load hi efficiency 2011 Electrolux was built before they moved the plant to Mexico, built less than a 100 miles from us. Works wonderfully, gets clothes clean and saves water, zero complaints. We used in the past Maytag but they have gone to hell since Whirlpool purchased, no thanks.

Patty Hann
08-10-2023, 12:54 PM
Speed Queen makes a basic HD washing machine, and is even available with a manual timer rather than electronics if you prefer. We preferred.

EDIT: Of course, dryers too.

Thanks for that info on Speed Queen, Rick. I just looked at their website.
Never thought about SQ before because I though they only made for commercial use.
Now I'm seriously considering one their top-loaders TC5 (catalog#TC5003)

Izzy Camire
08-10-2023, 3:18 PM
We bought a Speed Queen a I think 4 years ago when they had the 10 warranty offer. WE like it and we have the model where we set the load size.

Stephen Tashiro
08-10-2023, 5:57 PM
I haven't owned a modern washer that requires high efficiency detergent. What happens if someone puts ordinary detergent in them by mistake?

Doug Garson
08-10-2023, 8:38 PM
Not experiencing that with our GE "smart" machines, although they are front load. Didn't have that problem with the LG units in the old property, either. For front loaders, locking is mandatory. I suspect for a top loader there's a specific reason they are doing that.
Stick your hand inside when its on spin and I think you will know why it is locked. :cool:
Our 15 year old top loader doesn't lock but the spin stops if the door opens.

Tom M King
08-10-2023, 8:58 PM
Living in a low population area like we do, there are not many choices without having to drive a long ways to get one. Lowes is about as good at getting such appliances from as Amazon is for other things. When one is getting close to end of life, we order one online from Lowes, they show up with the new one tomorrow, and haul the old one off. I don't even have to walk out to the truck to go anywhere and no laundry piles up in the meantime. I already have the old one unhooked, and if it's a drier the cord taken off.

They won't hook them up if you don't buy new hoses, or a new cord for the dryer, but I'd rather hook them up myself anyway, so they just tote them in and set them where they go, and carry the old one out.

Jim Koepke
08-11-2023, 12:37 AM
they just tote them in and set them where they go, and carry the old one out.

That is a detail that blows my mind. When I was young we used hand trucks to move appliances up and down stairs and into homes. Now it looks like the delivery people use a harness and carry them in without using a wheeled dolly.

jtk

John Terefenko
08-11-2023, 1:49 AM
Thanks for that info on Speed Queen, Rick. I just looked at their website.
Never thought about SQ before because I though they only made for commercial use.
Now I'm seriously considering one their top-loaders TC5 (catalog#TC5003)
Best machines on the market hands down.

Nicholas Lawrence
08-11-2023, 7:34 AM
We have a new top loading Maytag. The did does lock. I assume I could disable that if I wanted to, but I have not cared enough to figure it out.

The "clothes are not getting wet" problem may not be a problem. You can look down in the thing while it runs, and the clothes are getting wet.

Part of the "efficiency" is in the amount of water they remove in the spin cycle (which I guess makes the dryer more efficient). It spins for longer and at a higher speed than our old one did. Depending on the type of fabric and the other clothes in the load, you will get parts of the load that feel "dry" even though they need some time on the line or in the dryer to really be dry.

Tom M King
08-11-2023, 7:46 AM
That is a detail that blows my mind. When I was young we used hand trucks to move appliances up and down stairs and into homes. Now it looks like the delivery people use a harness and carry them in without using a wheeled dolly.

jtk

Appliances are getting like TV's and refrigerators. They're getting closer and closer to figuring out how to make them out of nothing. Two guys easily carried in the new washer and dryer together into the rental house with those straps. Those old ones were heavy, but still worked so I had given them to someone who needed them.

We also had a new refrigerator put in the kitchen, and the old one moved out to the garage which is now a game room. The same two guys were talking and joking moving in the new refrigerator, but were popping sweat and paying attention to what they were doing moving the old one 20' out into the game room. It was empty, but I don't know how old it is.

Bill Howatt
08-11-2023, 9:58 AM
We have a new top loading Maytag. The did does lock. I assume I could disable that if I wanted to, but I have not cared enough to figure it out.

The "clothes are not getting wet" problem may not be a problem. You can look down in the thing while it runs, and the clothes are getting wet.

Part of the "efficiency" is in the amount of water they remove in the spin cycle (which I guess makes the dryer more efficient). It spins for longer and at a higher speed than our old one did. Depending on the type of fabric and the other clothes in the load, you will get parts of the load that feel "dry" even though they need some time on the line or in the dryer to really be dry.

We have a 2 year-old top-load Maytag and my wife says it works as well as and likely better than the old Sears it replaced after a long life. She is happy with it and that's all that matters.

Bill Howatt
08-11-2023, 10:02 AM

jtk

The harness method isn't really that new at all. I had a washer and dryer taken from the basement over 45 years ago and the harness was used. I asked why not a dolly and they said it was easier particularly on stairs to use the harness, which IIRC was nothing more than a broad strap.

Jim Becker
08-11-2023, 10:29 AM
I haven't owned a modern washer that requires high efficiency detergent. What happens if someone puts ordinary detergent in them by mistake?
Excessive suds...which can require quite a few clean up cycles. One feature I like about our new GE smart machines is that the washer meters the detergent automagically for whatever the cycle is and for the weight of the material to be cleaned. Fill the vessel and there's no need to measure manually for each load. It asks for a refill when needed after about, oh...20-30 loads or so.

Frank Pratt
08-11-2023, 10:36 AM

jtk

We got a new Bosch dishwasher recently and the guy came walking into the house with the new one on his shoulder. He took the old one out the same way.

Bill Dufour
08-11-2023, 11:14 AM
For how much they cost I am surprised no one is making a washer dryer unit. They do make small ones but no heating so clothes come out slightly dampish. They had the technology and made them from about 1940-1960 then nothing.
Bill D

Jim Koepke
08-11-2023, 2:44 PM
The same two guys were talking and joking moving in the new refrigerator, but were popping sweat and paying attention to what they were doing moving the old one 20' out into the game room. It was empty, but I don't know how old it is.

Old refrigerators (at least back in my day) were always heavier than when they were new. This was because over the years moisture would condense and be absorbed into the insulation.

I had a washer and dryer taken from the basement over 45 years ago and the harness was used.

This was after my folks discontinued appliance sales and repair. Though knowing my dad, at his age he wasn't likely to change his ways and start carrying appliances instead of rolling them.

jtk

Jim Becker
08-11-2023, 4:41 PM
For how much they cost I am surprised no one is making a washer dryer unit. They do make small ones but no heating so clothes come out slightly dampish. They had the technology and made them from about 1940-1960 then nothing.
Bill D

They do have them and they do have heating. The issue is that many of them only have 120v power supplies and that means you can only dry about one third of a normal load while they wash just fine at full capacity. They also run "forever" for a single load, regardless of load size. My daughter had one in her apartment for about two years, but the complex pulled them out because they 1) didn't dry well and they didn't have 240v available for stacked setup and 2) the constantly broke down. GE just released a new one, but I don't know the specifications.

Bill Dufour
08-11-2023, 5:11 PM
Jim,
I was not aware of any that are heated. I thought just condensing was used. I think they are not vented is the reason for no added heat. They had gas heated ones in the 1950's. They finally fixed the pilot light issues so it stayed lit even with all the water flying around. Modern dryers do not use a pilot so it should be easier to make today.
Bill D

Jim Becker
08-11-2023, 8:35 PM
They do seem to generate some "heat" but it's inadequate however it's being done, unlike the one-piece stacked unit that was in my mother's apartment and an apartment I had many years ago. But those also used 240v...much more drying power. Regardless, I'm skeptical that any "all in one" is going to be very satisfying unless one does really small loads.

Bill Dufour
08-11-2023, 9:44 PM
The Bendix Duomatic was about a 8 or 9 pound load . A modern small top loader is 6 pounds, medium is 7-8 pounds, large 10-12. So not huge but not small either.
BilL D

Mike Soaper
08-11-2023, 9:58 PM
I suspect, based on the experience with our new washing machine, in an effort to use less water, the machine measures the height of the load and dispenses water appropriately to cover the load. How ever, our top load LG washing machine has a button "Water Plus" that seems to override the machine's original function and uses more water. The locked lid can be opened on our machine by simply pushing the same button that starts the washing process.

Some years ago I as at a Lowes in a farming community looking at washing machines, the appliance sales person said that folks there who worked hard and got their clothes pretty dirty typically bought a top loader that they could add extra water to because they would get the clothes cleaner than top loaders without the add water feature or front loaders.

Mike Soaper
08-11-2023, 10:15 PM
A bit off thread. I was in a beach house on the N. Carolina Outer Banks that was a 70's prefab rancher on 10'? stilts so that any ocean over wash would pass under the house. It was a bit odd when the house swayed/rocked with every pulse of the old school top loader agitator.

Bill Dufour
08-13-2023, 11:30 PM
They do have them and they do have heating. The issue is that many of them only have 120v power supplies and that means you can only dry about one third of a normal load while they wash just fine at full capacity.
Are you sure it was heated with a air duct for the moist hot air. Or, did it condense into a drain pan that had to be poured down the drain?
Bill D

Bill Dufour
08-13-2023, 11:32 PM
I remember we had a washing machine that needed a double sink. After it washed load of whites it pumped the sudsy water back in for the next load of colored stuff. Saves hot water.
Bill D

Jim Becker
08-14-2023, 9:39 AM
Are you sure it was heated with a air duct for the moist hot air. Or, did it condense into a drain pan that had to be poured down the drain?
Bill D
There was no drain other than the the washer drain. Hot air was exhausted into the apartment...no external venting. I have no idea exactly how things worked other than it got warm but not nearly hot enough to be effective at drying. It's a moot point since the apartment complex management trashed all of them due to how frequently they broke and the high level of complaints about super long load times and horrible drying.

Warren Lake
08-14-2023, 10:36 AM
past I posted here giving my maytag dryer to my 92 year old neighbour after seeing lights on at 3:00 am or later few nights in a row. She was doing laundry after an old cat messed up and her dryer was not working. Washing stuff then hanging it over her railing to the second floor. Not ideal.

I took her dryer out of her home to give her mine,. Hers was a GE and it was 59 years old and had one repair that she could remember. It was damn heavy.

I had old used Inglis commercial bought cheap that was good for many years then bought new maytag. The washer lasted six years and started to leak and a friend that repairs them said its not worth pumps are offshore and they dont last. He been in the bus since his teens family business. That adventure the instal was complications as her husband had pumped it out the floor and it was hard wired in then realized my dryer needed new glides floor a was filled new hole cut and my dryer apart to cut and put a pipe do go same into the floor.

I ended up with my parents old maytag washer and dryer 45 years old. I remember going to their home once to meet my friend when no heat on the dryer, He figured it out in five seconds then called his parts guy two in stock and next day done. Bit over 100.00 for the part. Reminds me of my truck starter. In they put a new US solenoid on it and brushes bench test and ready next morning 90.00.

Sure the old stuff is less efficient but ill stick with it. Due to time my parents stuff is not hooked up yet so I have to go to the laundra matt. There I use Dexter stuff and the largest of two that will take either 40 or 60 lbs of laundry. Pretty nice quality but I dont think they spin well enough or get as much water out as the old stuff did. Ill see that when the old Maytag is hooked up. I moved both of them on a pro fridge dolly with a strap to hold it tight to the dolly and a a stair creeper on the bottom.

Larry Frank
08-14-2023, 8:02 PM
We had a Bosch front loading washer and it did not get clothes clean. It also had hiccups and would shut down. We ended up getting a LG top loading. It uses more water but we run fewer loads as it is larger capacity. And the clothes are clean !!!

We also have an LG dishwasher and it is quiet and gets dishes clean.

Jim McCue
08-18-2023, 10:02 PM
I have a speed queen washer and made sure to get the type with knobs and not digital screen. They pretty much say in their manual that they only include the 'high efficiency' cycle because they have to. That cycle only rinses the clothes by pulsing some water while spinning. The other cycles actually fill up the tub with water and agitate. There were some other differences but that's what I recall. So the point is try using the other cycles that take longer or use more water.

As for defeating the switch, on my washer you can place a strong magnet on the back to keep a switch or lever open. A lot of washers have the same internals so maybe that will work on other models as well. Though I must say I didn't even think of jamming something in the switch.

Bill Dufour
08-18-2023, 11:02 PM
Old sears dryer the door switch lever broke so I pulled it out and clipped the two quick connects together until the new switch arrived. Wrapped with electrical tape of course.
Picked up a free washing machine when we moved. it was supposed to work. it did not run. The lid switch was bad. Pulled it out and shorted two terminals with a bit of copper wire. Once I knew it worked I did a few loads on the patio before investing in a new switch.
Bill D

Patty Hann
08-19-2023, 12:55 PM
I have a speed queen washer and made sure to get the type with knobs and not digital screen. They pretty much say in their manual that they only include the 'high efficiency' cycle because they have to. ....
Jim, what model do you have, and does S-Q still make it?

Jim McCue
08-21-2023, 9:49 PM
I don't see my exact model but it looks comparable to the current TR3. Looks like they still have knobs for most models. And some advertise No Lid Lock.

https://speedqueen.com/products/all-products/#top-load-washers

Patty Hann
08-21-2023, 10:53 PM
I don't see my exact model but it looks comparable to the current TR3. Looks like they still have knobs for most models. And some advertise No Lid Lock.

https://speedqueen.com/products/all-products/#top-load-washers

Thankee much :)

George Yetka
08-22-2023, 8:31 AM
https://www.geappliances.com/ge/connected-appliances/ultrafast-2-in-1-washer-dryer-combo?gclid=Cj0KCQjwuZGnBhD1ARIsACxbAVjjGL8ntC6v_c f87Sy-fd0eXT1MQekZ-UzkmM4B7ZD6ocXDf3xcX2MaApN4EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Im following these. I am not due for new machines but Im thinking I might like 2 of these instead of a washer and dryer. 2 hr cycle washes and dries. Ventless and 110v It uses heat pump to dry apparently. Im hoping in 5 years or so when i am due these are proven and or debugged.

Doug Garson
08-23-2023, 4:44 PM
I would be concerned with excess humidity in the laundry room with the ventless washer/dryer combos especially in a well sealed home.

Bill Howatt
08-23-2023, 6:04 PM
I would be concerned with excess humidity in the laundry room with the ventless washer/dryer combos especially in a well sealed home.
Apparently, the moisture gets condensed out of the hot air and drains out through a hose so the humid air doesn't get blown into the room.
BTW, in the winter we vent our regular clothes dryer into the basement to aid in reclaiming some heat and humidifying the dry winter air - no, it doesn't cause problems, in fact the air goes into my basement shop and there is no rusting on cast-iron tool tops but we do often turn on one of the shop air-cleaner fans to blow it around the basement.

Patty Hann
08-23-2023, 6:06 PM
My experience with "Combo" things: "Jack-of-all-Trades, Master of none".Seldom do they do anything well, certainly not as well as a stand-alone item.
But it depends on what level of effectiveness you want. I've occasionally bought combo tools.

Sometimes just middlin' good is fine, all you need. Sometimes you want better.
And sometimes you want lots better, like the farming community with the ultra dirty clothes.
Even what an urban customer might be OK with in a washer was not good enough for them.

Bill Dufour
08-23-2023, 9:41 PM
https://www.geappliances.com/ge/connected-appliances/ultrafast-2-in-1-washer-dryer-combo?gclid=Cj0KCQjwuZGnBhD1ARIsACxbAVjjGL8ntC6v_c f87Sy-fd0eXT1MQekZ-UzkmM4B7ZD6ocXDf3xcX2MaApN4EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Im following these. I am not due for new machines but Im thinking I might like 2 of these instead of a washer and dryer. 2 hr cycle washes and dries. Ventless and 110v It uses heat pump to dry apparently. Im hoping in 5 years or so when i am due these are proven and or debugged..
Not a heat pump but an air conditioner. If it is mechanically cooled at all. I think some just use cold water into a chiller coil. Drys about as well as your frost free refrigerator does to a wet paper bag. If there is no vent there is no heat added except from a condensor dumping heat into the room, not the clothes. So you will need to hang the clothes up inside to dry for a few hours after drying them to prevent mold.
A seventy year step back in technology for no advantage.
Bill D.
PS: Electric stoves were invented before gas stoves. Not sure about dryer technology
Bill D