PDA

View Full Version : Reeves drive reversable?

Richard Susca
08-08-2023, 8:35 AM
I am in the process of rebuilding a water damaged 1977 Rockwell 46-525 12" gap lathe with a Reeves drive. I have wired the new motor to a reversing switch. Then it dawned on me that if the revering switch was such a good idea then maybe the lathe would have come with one. So here is the question-Can a Reeves drive be run in reverse? I am a new member, but a long time reader. Thanks

Kevin Jenness
08-08-2023, 8:56 AM
So here is the question-Can a Reeves drive be run in reverse?

Yes, it can.

Richard Coers
08-08-2023, 3:14 PM
A Reeves drive is just adjustable pulleys. Pulleys don't care what direction they spin.

Bill Dufour
08-17-2023, 9:28 PM
A threaded faceplate or chuck will unscrew when run in reverse. Modern lathe spindles are cam lock to allow reverse under full load.
Bill D

John Kananis
08-18-2023, 10:58 AM
Hmm, I've run my lathe in reverse with the chuck installed in order to sand. Is this bad practice?

A threaded faceplate or chuck will unscrew when run in reverse. Modern lathe spindles are cam lock to allow reverse under full load.
Bill D

Edward Weber
08-18-2023, 11:20 AM
Turning in revese is not a big deal.
Most do it just for sanding which doesn't typically cause any loosening issues.
Tools like faceplates and chucks "typically" have a set screw that can be tightened if reverse turning required.

Kevin Jenness
08-18-2023, 2:17 PM
Many older lathes with Reeves drives have LH threads on the outboard side so there is not an unthreading issue while turning in normal rotation (except when decelerating with a heavy load, and these lathes rarely have a brake). Light sanding in reverse should not lead to unthreading. Grub screws used on a spindle without a groove to accept them should be made of a soft material to avoid damaging the threads.

Brice Rogers
08-24-2023, 9:44 PM
There are a few chucks that don't have a grub screw. I own 2 of them. So, I took about 10 minutes and make a draw bar.

A drawbar is a threaded rod that is slid inside spindle. On the chuck end, I put a washer and a pair of jam nuts. On the left end by the spindle handle I put on a washer and another pair of jam nuts. With the draw bar in place it keeps the chuck from unscrewing when going in reverse .

When I'm hollowing I sometimes turn in the reverse because it allow me to be positioned in a more comfortable manner and with my arms tucked in.