PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Chuck question

Greg Parrish
08-08-2023, 8:28 AM
I'm looking at vacuum chucks and would like some input. I'm basically seeing the Hold Fast setup that uses the air compressor and I'm seeing the Oneway system that uses a vacuum pump. Any feedback on the best way to go here? I'll be using on a Powermatic PM2014 lathe if that matters. And this is the air compressor I have if it affects the recommendation (I don't want to replace with anything larger due to space constraints) https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4-5-Gal-Portable-Electric-Powered-Silent-Air-Compressor-3320445/305026725 In another post recently I asked about hollowing systems and you guys gave me guidance and I know which way I'm going there. Thank you.

On a separate note, I finally got a chance to play with the new lathe last night. Only had a piece of KD Mahogany to use for a blank so it was a little hard turning. Also, I only had some of the Easy Tools carbide tools as that's what I could get my hands on when I bought the lathe. I have a couple of tools on the way from D-Way right now (5/8" bowl and 5/8 bowl bottom gouges), and plan to order a few more today (3/4" roughing gouge and 1" skew - I think anyway). Basically working to replace some of the equipment I sold a few years ago. The little Powermatic is a pretty nice little lathe. For a mix of small stuff to occasional larger stuff, it should be fine for my hobby use.

I haven't touched a lathe in over 3 years so don't beat me up too badly. Here is the little chunk of mahogany I cut off of a scrap left over from another project. Started playing around and turned the small little bowl. It needed to be cut a good bit deeper but I got tired of scraping at it with the carbide scrapers so I called it good. The tenon is still on there so I can pop it back in and work on it some more. Only wiped it with some mineral oil so I doubt that would make a big deal for turning again. Will be happy to have some tools that cut a little better as I did have some tear out as well. Anyway, I made a nice big mess and had some fun and now am looking forward to doing more. :)

Dwayne Watt
08-08-2023, 9:40 AM
With some minor replumbing, you already have a vacuum pump on the air compressor to which you linked. Couple that with a kit from simplewoodturningtools plus some air hose from Harbor Freight and you are in business. Vacuum generators are noisy due to air flow across a venturi (at least the one that I originally used on my vacuum bag is) whereas the pump on your compressor is very quiet.
You can do some minor replumbing on your compressor to allow for either compressed air or vacuum pump operation with the switch of a couple valves. Even if you decide not to go this route, an oil-less vacuum pump (Gast or Thomas) off of ebay makes for a quiet, reliable, and fairly inexpensive system that takes up very little space.

Bill Howatt
08-08-2023, 9:44 AM
Personally, I'd use a vacuum pump rather than the compressor and Venturi derived vacuum. Compressors are noisy. The Hold Fast requires 2.5 SCFM of air at around 60 PSI and I believe your compressor can do 3 at 90 PSI so you meet that spec.
I should bow out and let the 2014 owners give you the straight dope but I think you need the or similar to the Hold Fast adapter to get through your spindle which apparently does have a 3/8 diameter hole through it. This allows you to connect the HF vacuum generator or a vacuum pump to the rotating spindle. Often lathes have threaded outboard ends of the spindle which allows a screw-on rotating adapter but I don't think this is an option for your 2014.
I'm sure you will get some more info since vacuum chucking is always a popular topic.

Walter Mooney
08-08-2023, 9:56 AM
I have, and absolutely love my Frugal vacuum pump/system. Works like a charm, and I can have it up and running in under a minute!

John Kananis
08-08-2023, 11:01 AM
Greg, thanks for sharing and that mahogany is really pretty.

I thought these pumps were proprietary this whole time. Any chance I can use the vacuum pump from my veneer press? What else would be needed? Hmm, kind of hijacking sorry.

Edward Weber
08-08-2023, 11:11 AM
Personally, I'd use a vacuum pump rather than the compressor and Venturi derived vacuum. Compressors are noisy. The Hold Fast requires 2.5 SCFM of air at around 60 PSI and I believe your compressor can do 3 at 90 PSI so you meet that spec.
I should bow out and let the 2014 owners give you the straight dope but I think you need the or similar to the Hold Fast adapter to get through your spindle which apparently does have a 3/8 diameter hole through it. This allows you to connect the HF vacuum generator or a vacuum pump to the rotating spindle. Often lathes have threaded outboard ends of the spindle which allows a screw-on rotating adapter but I don't think this is an option for your 2014.
I'm sure you will get some more info since vacuum chucking is always a popular topic.

I agree
While the compressor/venturi style does work, I find a vac pump much easier and quieter to deal with. Not to mention, a strong vacuum

Bill Howatt
08-08-2023, 12:10 PM
... Any chance I can use the vacuum pump from my veneer press? What else would be needed? Hmm, kind of hijacking sorry.

You can any pump that draws a good vacuum BUT it has to have sufficient pumping speed to overcome any leakage in the system. Possible sources of leaks are any piping fittings, interface between workpiece and drum chuck (likely the major source), some woods are naturally porous so air will be drawn through them (can often mitigate by adding coat of finish to inside of bowl), and insect holes. As you can see, there are reasons why most setups are rarely operating at 100% ideal conditions.
I have used old refrigerator compressors which are often marginal but work. Also, old air-condition compressors and dehumidifier compressors will work. Right now I'm using a 2 cylinder (not stage) antique refrigeration compressor that was used on a farm to chill water to put cans of fresh milk in to cool them. I also have an air compressor pump from a not too big compressor that had plumbing issues that I've hooked up to try. It worked fine.
You need to have a rotary adapter so you don't wind the vacuum hose from the pump in a knot. A drum-chuck to mount the workpiece on. These can be purchased or shop made. Hose, air-filter for inlet of pump is a good idea especially for carbon vane pumps, gauge, valve to release vacuum and importantly, regulate vacuum. A good vacuum on a large vessel can literally implode it. If you google vacuum chucking you will find lots of info on setups.

carl mesaros
08-08-2023, 3:00 PM
I'm looking at vacuum chucks and would like some input. I'm basically seeing the Hold Fast setup that uses the air compressor and I'm seeing the Oneway system that uses a vacuum pump. Any feedback on the best way to go here? I'll be using on a Powermatic PM2014 lathe if that matters. And this is the air compressor I have if it affects the recommendation (I don't want to replace with anything larger due to space constraints) https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4-5-Gal-Portable-Electric-Powered-Silent-Air-Compressor-3320445/305026725 In another post recently I asked about hollowing systems and you guys gave me guidance and I know which way I'm going there. Thank you.

On a separate note, I finally got a chance to play with the new lathe last night. Only had a piece of KD Mahogany to use for a blank so it was a little hard turning. Also, I only had some of the Easy Tools carbide tools as that's what I could get my hands on when I bought the lathe. I have a couple of tools on the way from D-Way right now (5/8" bowl and 5/8 bowl bottom gouges), and plan to order a few more today (3/4" roughing gouge and 1" skew - I think anyway). Basically working to replace some of the equipment I sold a few years ago. The little Powermatic is a pretty nice little lathe. For a mix of small stuff to occasional larger stuff, it should be fine for my hobby use.

I haven't touched a lathe in over 3 years so don't beat me up too badly. Here is the little chunk of mahogany I cut off of a scrap left over from another project. Started playing around and turned the small little bowl. It needed to be cut a good bit deeper but I got tired of scraping at it with the carbide scrapers so I called it good. The tenon is still on there so I can pop it back in and work on it some more. Only wiped it with some mineral oil so I doubt that would make a big deal for turning again. Will be happy to have some tools that cut a little better as I did have some tear out as well. Anyway, I made a nice big mess and had some fun and now am looking forward to doing more. :)
I used the Holdfast system for many years and it performed very well-never lost a piece!
3 cfm may be a little low for the holdfast. I ran mine with a 6cfm and it would cycle on quite often probably due to the inevitable leaks, wood being porus after all.
Also I used and liked the Hollowfast system from the same company.

Richard Coers
08-08-2023, 3:13 PM
Running a venturi system is like holding an air gun open, continuously. Will that compressor handle that kind of duty cycle and keep up? Silent compressors work because they turn the pimp much slower. I doubt if that compressor will work.

tom lucas
08-08-2023, 8:44 PM
I suggest you search this forum (and others) for vacuum chuck systems. You'll find lots of good ideas and variations. A number of ways to go. You have to decide what you want.

I read a bunch of threads on vacuum chucks when I was deciding. I settled on a Gast pump coupled to a JTTurningtools quick connect system with PVC adapter head. Sadly the JTT systems are no longer available. The proprietor passed away. I was one of the lucky last ones to get one of his systems. But, there are workable similar alternatives. I also have the simplewoodturningtools vacuum head. It's nicely made and works good, but it is limited to one size. Easy to hook up though.

Oneway, Chucky, and Hold Fast have nice adapters and chuck heads. There are also quick connects for some Powermatic lathes. I would start by reaching out to them (or Crafts Supply) for a headstock quick connect system specifically for your lathe. They might have one that fits exactly. If not, Chucky has some interesting offerings.

Frugal is probably the cheapest way to get a descent working pump system. I got lucky and found a new Gast on FB marketplace for $100. Worth a quick search anyway. I also have a cheap Chinese pump I use for wood stabilization. It works good too, but is not "oil-less" like the Gast. Spews a little oil into the air.

Jim Morgan
08-08-2023, 11:59 PM
VeneerSupplies (Joe Woodworker) sells parts and plans for economical diy vacuum pumps. Bagging, clamping, chucking - one pump can do it all.

Rubber Chucky has an adapter that plugs into the handwheel (or handtube, as the case may be). The handwheel of the 2014 can be removed - the outboard end of the spindle is threaded ¾-16 LH.

John Kananis
08-09-2023, 10:02 AM
I have the green (3cfm) pump from veneer pressing systems. It's good enough for a 4'x8' bag. Will this work for me?

This one:
https://www.vacupress.com/product/compact-300-vacupress-pump-3cfm/

Richard Dooling
08-09-2023, 12:37 PM
I am using an HVAC vacuum pump because I had one. It's really not very loud and certainly not loud compared to a compressor. It also developes a very good vacuum. I control the vacuum with a bleed valve that allows more or less room air into the pump. Less room air into the pump equals higher vacuum at the spindle.

I have the Rubber Chucky rotary adapter that Jim mentions and for me it's a game changer because it just plugs into the outboard spindle. It makes the setup happen in less than a minute. I had to modify the adapter to fit my NOVA DVR XP but it looks like you have a Powermatic and should be fine.
Chucky_Vacuudapter.html (https://www.rubberchucky.com/store/p154/Chucky_Vacuudapter.html#/)

This is from Doc Green's site and shows a simple and effective setup.
rotaryadapter.html (https://www.docgreenwoodturner.com/rotaryadapter.html)

https://www.docgreenwoodturner.com/wpimages/wp82faed08_06.png

Dwayne Watt
08-10-2023, 10:50 AM
I have the green (3cfm) pump from veneer pressing systems. It's good enough for a 4'x8' bag. Will this work for me?

This one:
https://www.vacupress.com/product/compact-300-vacupress-pump-3cfm/

This will work from a capacity stand point. As long as it is pulling ~25" Hg or thereabouts when the wood is on the lathe you will be fine. Higher flow pumps are needed when the wood is particularly porous. My pump is rated at 3.15 cfm and it works fine. Vacuum chuck has been one of the more useful things I have acquired or made for lathe work.

John Kananis
08-10-2023, 1:43 PM
Dwayne, thank you for the reply. This really does open up some possibilities for me.

Greg Parrish
08-10-2023, 3:20 PM
Thank you for all the feedback. I’ve still been reading and researching.

Decided and ordered the Frugal vacuum pump setup based on features to price. Seems like a nice setup and hopefully is a good deal for my use. http://www.frugalvacuumchuck.com/home.html

Regarding the chuck, I’m still undecided. Can’t decide if I should go with the chucks like the frugal or simple woodworking tools versions that have a center bearing and the tube that runs through the headstock, or a model like the Oneway or RubberChucky style that has an adapter that threads onto the headstock handle side and uses the actual headstock for the vacuum passageway.

Any additional thoughts given the vacuum pump I’ve ordered?

Robert Hayward
08-10-2023, 6:19 PM
The Frugal is a good choice. I have had one for a couple years. Attached are pictures of the caddy I made to hold mine, when the setup was new. I use the Frugal style vac shucks with the bearing.

Kevin Jenness
08-11-2023, 12:29 AM
I have the Holdfast setup with a tube that extends through the headstock spindle. It was not too expensive, it works, and can be used with different lathes regardless of spindle/thread size. I made several chucks using wood bases and a spindle tap.

Bill Howatt
08-11-2023, 10:19 AM
The Holdfast and similar tube methods do work and they are comparatively inexpensive and they do permit use on lathes that don't have an outboard thread or other peculiarities. I have a Oneway adapter which is excellent but it does require a thread and it is about $125 which is much more than the Holdfast.
I made my own chucks using 3/4" thick MDF tapped to fit my spindle. I cut a groove in it to match the diameter of ABS pipe and epoxied the pipe into the groove. I then hot-glued some closed-cell craft foam (about 1/8" thick) to the outer edge for better sealing.
If you don't have a tap, I imagine you could make one with a piece of wood attached to fit in a chuck or mount it on a faceplate. Of course you will need a hole in the middle for air-flow.

Greg Parrish
08-12-2023, 5:06 PM
Did you mean 3/4 -16 RH by chance? one way has an adapter that size to use with their rotary air fitting. Thanks.

VeneerSupplies (Joe Woodworker) sells parts and plans for economical diy vacuum pumps. Bagging, clamping, chucking - one pump can do it all.

Rubber Chucky has an adapter that plugs into the handwheel (or handtube, as the case may be). The handwheel of the 2014 can be removed - the outboard end of the spindle is threaded ¾-16 LH.

Jim Morgan
08-12-2023, 6:24 PM
Did you mean 3/4 -16 RH by chance? one way has an adapter that size to use with their rotary air fitting. Thanks.

No, unfortunately that is a left-hand thread - so that when the lathe is turning forwards, the handwheel/tube tends to tighten.

Bill Howatt
08-12-2023, 7:20 PM
They also have a LH. The vacuum adapter uses the same Taper-Loc adapters as the Stronghold chuck.

https://oneway.ca/products-category/adaptors/Stronghold-Adaptors/3-4-16-LH-Stronghold

Greg Parrish
08-12-2023, 8:01 PM
thanks. Any idea of a good, safe place to order? I’m only finding a few listings in Europe and Canada for that adapter and I’m not familiar with any of the stores.

Like here:
https://blackforestwood.com/products/oneway-3-4-16-tpi-lh-taper-lock-adaptor-for-stronghold-chucks
or here
https://woodchuckers.com/products/oneway-3-4-16-lh-stronghold

EDIT: I just went ahead and took a chance on Woodchuckers. Hopefully they actually have it in stock. Thanks again.

They also have a LH. The vacuum adapter uses the same Taper-Loc adapters as the Stronghold chuck.

https://oneway.ca/products-category/adaptors/Stronghold-Adaptors/3-4-16-LH-Stronghold

Greg Parrish
08-13-2023, 8:14 AM
Thanks for all the help and pointers. After lots of reading, these are the items I decided on and ordered to get started with vacuum chuck usage:

FrugalChuck’s vacuum pump: https://www.frugalvacuumchuck.com/

Oneway Stronghold Taperlock 3/4 - 16 LH https://woodchuckers.com/products/oneway-3-4-16-lh-stronghold?_pos=3&_sid=a096a6fc1&_ss=r

Oneway rotary air fitting https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/onewayrotaryairfitting.aspx

Oneway stronghold taperlock 1-1/4 x 8 RH https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/onewaymountingadapterforstrongholdchucks.aspx

Oneway Vacuum Drum chuck 3.5” https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/oneway8vacuumdrumchuck.aspx

I ultimately decided to go with this style because the hole through the spindle on the Powermatic PM2014 was listed as 3/8” and all of the style that have a tube going through the spindle seem to use a 3/8” tube or hose. I was concerned with fit issues. When it came down to the Oneway approach over the RubberChucky approach for the rotary air fitting, I liked the fact that the Oneway one screws on where the RubberChucky has to be press fit into the hand wheel. No idea how the Oneway setup will work, but I’ve been very pleased with Oneway quality on the pieces I already own like their Live Center.

Fingers crossed.

Grant Wilkinson
08-13-2023, 9:02 AM
If you are looking for a tap to make your own chucks, Lee Valley has the Beall taps here

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/power-tool-accessories/57074-lathe-spindle-taps?item=44J0772

I believe that you can order them directly from Beall if you prefer, too.

Greg Parrish
08-13-2023, 9:15 AM
Thanks Grant. I bookmarked them in case I decide to try it. I’m going to start with the initial Oneway drum chuck but realize a lot of different options may be wanted over time.

If you are looking for a tap to make your own chucks, Lee Valley has the Beall taps here

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/power-tool-accessories/57074-lathe-spindle-taps?item=44J0772

Dwayne Watt
08-13-2023, 11:58 AM

Beall is no longer in operation. Lee Valley purchased the business earlier this year and is now the primary (only?) source for Beall tools.

Greg Parrish
08-14-2023, 6:41 PM
Received the Frugal Vacuum pump today. Pretty nice little setup. I simply drilled some holes in my bench top for the bolt through the rubber feet to fit into. Will keep it from walking off the counter but also keep it mobile if I need to move it. Plan to get a remote switch of some sort to cut it on/off.

Given the location I put it behind and to left from headstock, I may have to build a chip shield but will try it first. I have some sheets of left over acrylic/plexi material that I could use. I'm still planning to use some of that for a tip guard for my chisel rack as well.

Just waiting on the rest of the Oneway chuck and rotary adapter parts to show up next.

Allen Mattsen
08-19-2023, 3:07 PM
I have, and absolutely love my Frugal vacuum pump/system. Works like a charm, and I can have it up and running in under a minute!

This. Frugal makes a great system and Bob has excellent customer service. I'm not sure if he sells the fantastic oil-free pumps anymore. The chucking system and ability to form your own additional types of chuck or other holding methods with his parts packages are something I haven't found elsewhere. They're affordable and work great in my experience.

Greg Parrish
08-19-2023, 4:03 PM
This. Frugal makes a great system and Bob has excellent customer service. I'm not sure if he sells the fantastic oil-free pumps anymore. The chucking system and ability to form your own additional types of chuck or other holding methods with his parts packages are something I haven't found elsewhere. They're affordable and work great in my experience.

He does. I literally posted that I had just received it in my post above yours. LOL. :)

Finally got all my Oneway chuck pieces yesterday so I'm ready to give it a try. Had to get the proper taper lock adapter for the rotary outboard piece from Canada as I couldn't find one in the USA. The PM2014 uses an odd size of 3/4-16LH.

Greg Parrish
08-19-2023, 4:39 PM
Just ran into a problem. The Oneway Taper Lok adapter is larger in diameter than the factory handwheel. The design of the PM2014 appears to use the hand wheel to tighten the bearings and spindle into place. From looking up the larger PM3520C manual, their spindle appears to have a nut that tightens it into place separate than the hand wheel. Anyway, the taperlok adapter tightens all the way until touching the headstock when then means the spindle can't turn. In looking, some of the other small lathe specific taperlok adapters appear to be reduced in size at the headstock end. Wondering if that is what I need. No way to turn this one down because of the bolt holes. Those others have a protrusion on that end.

Unless one of the other smaller lathes has the same thread size and the proper diameter size, I'm forced to switch to the rubber Chucky approach. Not sure what else to do but I've got this much invested so I need to find another solution. Ugh.

EDIT: I went ahead and ordered one of the Rubber Chucky adapters for the PM2014, as well as one of their rubber seals for the Oneway 3-1/2" Vacuum Chuck. From what I can tell, there is no way to adapt the Oneway rotary piece to the PM2014 without a custom taper lock adapter being machined.

Jim Morgan
08-19-2023, 7:19 PM
Just ran into a problem. The Oneway Taper Lok adapter is larger in diameter than the factory handwheel. The design of the PM2014 appears to use the hand wheel to tighten the bearings and spindle into place. From looking up the larger PM3520C manual, their spindle appears to have a nut that tightens it into place separate than the hand wheel. Anyway, the taperlok adapter tightens all the way until touching the headstock when then means the spindle can't turn. In looking, some of the other small lathe specific taperlok adapters appear to be reduced in size at the headstock end. Wondering if that is what I need. No way to turn this one down because of the bolt holes. Those others have a protrusion on that end.

Unless one of the other smaller lathes has the same thread size and the proper diameter size, I'm forced to switch to the rubber Chucky approach. Not sure what else to do but I've got this much invested so I need to find another solution. Ugh.

EDIT: I went ahead and ordered one of the Rubber Chucky adapters for the PM2014, as well as one of their rubber seals for the Oneway 3-1/2" Vacuum Chuck. From what I can tell, there is no way to adapt the Oneway rotary piece to the PM2014 without a custom taper lock adapter being machined.

Bummer! Could you turn a washer that would allow the adapter to screw down tight without locking against the headstock?

Greg Parrish
08-19-2023, 7:38 PM
Bummer! Could you turn a washer that would allow the adapter to screw down tight without locking against the headstock?

Maybe. Thought about that. But I don't know how you'd get it over the threads and also centered on the spindle to keep it balanced. The one on the hand wheel is a part of the wheel so it's machined into the wheel itself. I'd have to make one larger to get over the threads and then it wouldn't stay centered and balanced.

Bill Howatt
08-20-2023, 9:16 AM
I'd try calling Oneway, never done it, but have heard lots of reports of them being very helpful.

Greg Parrish
08-24-2023, 12:49 PM
UDPATE:

I called and spoke to someone at OneWay. Unfortunately, it was of little help. They said they had never heard of the Powermatic PM2014. They also said that the Powermatics were horrible because none of them had threads. Honestly, I'm thinking the person I spoke with just had no clue because I'm assuming the handwheel on all of them will unthread just like on my 2014. To give benefit, maybe they meant there were not threads on the outside of the handwheel itself or something. Don't know. Anyway, the person recommended a washer like you guys mentioned before.

Next up, I went through a bucket of washers and bushings until I found a bushing that was approximately 3/4"ID x 1-1/4"OD x 1/2". No clue where it came from but it fit the spindle with a small amount of slop. The only thing I can think is that maybe it was metric and from my prior Felder KF500 shaper, regardless it didn't allow the adapter to thread on to the spindle enough. So, I ordered a 3/4"IN x 1-1/4"OD x 1/4" CNC machined shaper spindle bushing/spacer. It fit like a glove and allowed the OneWay rotary air adapter to thread on adequately.

Sounds great, right? LOL Well, not so much. The OneWay rotary air adapter with taper lock bushing was fairly out of balance. I tried removing and repositioning the taper lock adapter, as well as adjusting the set screws and nothing helped. Given the shear weight of this thing, I ultimately decided against using it. It's one thing to have an out of balance blank that you are truing up, but to have this running on the smaller side of the spindle just made me uncomfortable. My fear is that it might actually deform or bend the spindle over time. It would surely wear the bearing on that side sooner. So, back in the box the rotary air adapter went and its on its way back to the store.

Now I wait for the Rubber Chucky Vacuudapter to show up. Its in route and initially showed arrival today, however tracking makes me think it will be tomorrow. I'm really not sure what to expect with regards to how well these work and how easily they are to fit to the factory handwheel but I've got my fingers crossed. Chucky Vacuudapter (rubberchucky.com) (https://www.rubberchucky.com/store/p154/Chucky_Vacuudapter.html#/)

This is the final piece I need to start using vacuum chucking, so I'll give another update once received. Thanks.

Bill Howatt
08-24-2023, 4:17 PM
Surprised you didn't get a better answer from Oneway!
Problems with taper-lock adapters are likely caused by the adapter not being pulled in evenly by alternately tightening the installation holding screws. I don't understand you saying it was out of balance - the bulk of the adapter does not move, it just sits there with the vacuum hose attached.

Greg Parrish
08-24-2023, 4:30 PM
Bill, on the one I had, only the black hex shaped stub with the brass air hose nipple on it didn't rotate. The rest of the silver body/barrel rotated. As you suggest, my suspicion is the taper lock adapter causing the lack of balance. I never could get it to rotate without a bunch of wobble and vibration though. The factory handwheel rotates true and smooth, however I can induce wobble into it also if I don't tighten the set screws carefully. I'm guessing in it's case, the set screws are actually flexing the aluminum of the factory handwheel. However, in the case of the heavy steel oneway adapter, the only thing that makes sense is the fit of the taper lock adapter causing it to be out of balance. Anyway, I gave in and sent it back.

Oneway did say call them back if I didn't get it figured out, but I didn't bother. If they end up making a specific taper lock adapter, I might give it another go but I'm hopeful the Rubber Chucky product gets me fixed up instead.

Surprised you didn't get a better answer from Oneway!
Problems with taper-lock adapters are likely caused by the adapter not being pulled in evenly by alternately tightening the installation holding screws. I don't understand you saying it was out of balance - the bulk of the adapter does not move, it just sits there with the vacuum hose attached.

tom lucas
08-24-2023, 7:17 PM
Did you ever reach out directly to Powermatic?

Greg Parrish
08-24-2023, 8:37 PM
Did you ever reach out directly to Powermatic?

No, but they don’t sell any vacuum chuck devices or adapters as far as I can tell. That is one area that Robust, Oneway, Laguna and Vicmarc seem to have a leg up as they all offer an adapter for their lathes. If the Rubber Chucky vacudapter doesn’t work I’ll give them a try though.

Jim Morgan
08-25-2023, 3:16 PM
Well poop. It’s like the universe doesn’t want me to have a vacuum chuck. LOL

Got the Rubber Chucky shipment today and unfortunately they shipped me the wrong adapter. They sent the one for the full size Powermatic lathes. Talked to them via email and they are going to ship the proper shank for the PM2014 on Monday, but that means it will probably be 7 to 10 days from now before I get it. It means I’ll have to swap the shank and I’ve asked some questions about that because they mentioned it may be tight since it was thread locked. Will await their reply before I get too worried and start demanding a full replacement/exchange as it may not be a big deal to swap them.

Man, that is quite a saga. When I set up a vacuum chuck on my 2014, I got a Frugal manifold. The tube goes through the spindle and the bearing is built into the chuck, which screws onto the inboard end of the spindle. I had thought initially about using an outboard adapter, but it took months(!) to get the outboard spindle threading out of Powermatic.

The downside of the Frugal setup is that the tube can rub against the inside of the spindle and will eventually fail, but cheap standard tubing available at any big box can serve as a replacement.

Greg Parrish
08-25-2023, 4:21 PM
Jim, thanks for the feedback. Does the standard tube fit? I ask because my specs say 3/8" through spindle and the various tube style chucks all seem to use 3/8" tubes. In my head that wouldn't fit so I didn't even try going that route. Did you use a smaller tube? Thanks.

EDIT: Found out no worries on the loctite. Talked with Don and he said blue loctite was used. Should be easy enough to swap the pieces out once the replacement part gets here. Thats great news.

Jim Morgan
08-25-2023, 8:08 PM
Standard tube no problem.