PDA

View Full Version : Hand brace question

Matt Hunstiger
08-07-2023, 2:53 PM
So I recently got a 8" sweep Stanley 2101A off of the eeeebey, and I'm trying to figure out how to loosen the wrist handle. I have been looking here as well as posts on George's basement,

here:

https://www.georgesbasement.com/fs2101a.htm#RatchetPawlShim

As he says,
"Wunna these days I'll figure out a way of loosening that handle, I hope."
but I guess never did as far as I could find.

and here:

https://www.georgesbasement.com/galootsales/Sale02152007/YankeeBraces.htm

I haven't been able to loosen the nuts on either end, and I don't want to break it. It works, but it's stiffer than the other one I have, which has a noticeable gap between the wood and nuts.
Mission critical? No. I just want it the way I want it. Any suggestions?

The one on the left is the 10" sweep Stanley 2101A that has the wiggle room for the handle. The one on the right is the new (to me) 8" sweep that has no wiggle room on either end.

steven c newman
08-07-2023, 3:28 PM
I have been known to add a few drops of 3in1 Oil at one end, and let that work it's way inside...

Matt Hunstiger
08-07-2023, 10:47 PM
Thank you. I have done that, and it's improving. I'll be patient.

Tom Bender
08-09-2023, 6:58 AM
Your photo has an interesting background. What is that?

steven c newman
08-10-2023, 5:10 PM
I usually add the oil at both ends....swing the brace around by holding the wrist handle...then add a few more dribbles, until the brace swings freely...

Just add it in-between the collars and the wood handle. Also, the top handle should have a hole in it's collar for oil to be added into. Sometimes, they will even have an "Oil" engraved by that hole.

Robert Hartmann
08-12-2023, 8:40 PM
I had one with a similar problem. The 3in1 didn't help. I used some higher grit silicon carbide sandpaper. It's thinner, so you can work in between the handle and the collar. May take a minute, but worked well.

Matt Hunstiger
08-16-2023, 12:59 AM
Sorry, didn't see this till just now. It's the tiles/top on the patio table.