PDA

View Full Version : Not a turner but....

David Duke
02-01-2006, 2:49 PM
Just wanted to let you guys know what ya'll pulled off for Ken was awesome!!:D :D

Andy, what you wrote in describing the background of this little adventure shows exactly why I love SMC so much.....the people.

Jim Becker
02-01-2006, 2:59 PM
You mean, "Not a turner...YET"... ;) Don't underestimate the power of the spin... :D

(And yes...the "Ken project" was a very good thing)

David Duke
02-01-2006, 3:07 PM
I guess the "yet" part is probably right. I do have an old Craftsman lathe that I bought used probably 20yrs ago and turn a few spindles from time to time but have never really tried making bowls, vases, etc. Got too many flat projects going for now.

Bernie Weishapl
02-01-2006, 3:17 PM
The abyss is calling DDDDaaaavvviiiidddd. :eek:

George Conklin
02-01-2006, 3:51 PM
Smash your computer now! It's your only hope.

George

Bob Noles
02-01-2006, 4:01 PM
Too late..... if you own a lathe, you are a turner :eek:

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-01-2006, 5:23 PM
I have some Grease left to put on the "SLIPPERY SLOPE".

Somebody send him a Chunk of wood to turn that has the "secret elixir" in it.

I'd do it, but I'm currently out of ELIXiR. Used it all up in the last month. 7 new turners in Peoria. HeHe.

Bruce

Keith Burns
02-01-2006, 5:31 PM
I'm going out on a limb here (pun intended), and go ahead and pre-welcome you to the dark side. You don't realize it yet but once you visit this forum you have been caught.:D

Ken Fitzgerald
02-01-2006, 5:34 PM
David..........your goose is cooked and you don't even know it. These.....(edited per Ernie)WE can't take NO for an answer. I know from experience!

Steve Ash
02-01-2006, 5:54 PM
You don't realize it yet but once you visit this forum you have been caught.:D

There are a lot of truth to those words.....Lately I find myself lurking on this forum an awful lot. Went out looking at lathes again this afternoon. My youngest son wants to go halvsies on a good lathe, even the Mrs. expressed a bit of interest in one (lathes) as well. So I've been trying to get informed.

Bernie Weishapl
02-01-2006, 5:58 PM
OH, OH Steve you should have been haul'in Ash instead of looking at lathes. The hill is steep and slippery. I think it's to late to look back now.

George Conklin
02-01-2006, 6:02 PM
There are a lot of truth to those words.....Lately I find myself lurking on this forum an awful lot. Went out looking at lathes again this afternoon. My youngest son wants to go halvsies on a good lathe, even the Mrs. expressed a bit of interest in one (lathes) as well. So I've been trying to get informed.

You're done!

George

Ken Fitzgerald
02-01-2006, 6:04 PM
Hey Andy...............Chalk up two more......:eek: Now where's Tyler?:D

Ernie Nyvall
02-01-2006, 6:33 PM
These**********they******* can't take NO for an answer.

The key word between the stars is "WE" now isn't it Ken. Hee Hee Ha Ha Ha.

Ernie

David Duke
02-01-2006, 6:34 PM
I have to say it seems the spinners are having too much fun :D :D :D ; is it the shavings putting off some kind of toxic fume or what??;)

Glenn Clabo
02-01-2006, 6:35 PM
Right now...for me...it's the fumes from my credit card!

John Hart
02-01-2006, 6:35 PM
Hey Steve.....Ash makes really really nice bowls and hollowforms and spindles.;)

Ooops!....I just realized...I don't have to convince Steve...he's already hooked!!:o

John Hart
02-01-2006, 6:39 PM
I have to say it seems the spinners are having too much fun :D :D :D ; is it the shavings putting off some kind of toxic fume or what??;)

David...I suggest you just forget all those flat projects and enjoy life a little bit. My tablesaw makes a great benchtop! I can lay down a piece of plywood and practice on my finishes....prep my burls...take lots and lots of pictures...put pens together.... It's a great tool!:D

Ernie Nyvall
02-01-2006, 6:52 PM
I guess the "yet" part is probably right. I do have an old Craftsman lathe that I bought used probably 20yrs ago and turn a few spindles from time to time but have never really tried making bowls, vases, etc. Got too many flat projects going for now.

David, I had one of these a little over 30 yrs ago and turned a couple of spindles. I was very impatient and probably didn't set it up right to begin with and gave it away. Then a little over a year ago, I visited this forum. I now have two lathes. :rolleyes: One post was all it took and now you've done it. Surrenderrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Ernie

Keith Burns
02-01-2006, 8:10 PM
Two more bite the dust !!!!

YAHOO !!!!!

Andy Hoyt
02-01-2006, 8:19 PM
Two more bite the dust!!!! YAHOO !!!!!
Well, all righty then!

This is too much for one mere mortal to take on solo.

Gonna have to be a team effort.

All those south of the Mason Dixon Line - You got David.

All those north of the Mason Dixon Line - You got Steve.

Wait for it

Wait for it

Wait for it

Monkee Pile!

Corey Hallagan
02-01-2006, 8:27 PM
No Bernie, it isn't a slippery slope, it's a sharp slope. Remember that gouge I turned into a yard dart last night!! YIKES!!!

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
02-01-2006, 8:31 PM
Corey just don't yard dart it in your foot!:eek:

David Duke
02-02-2006, 3:13 PM
What's really scareing me is that the first forum I visited today was this one..:eek: :eek: :eek: . Had to see what madness the spinners were up to today.:D :D

Andy Hoyt
02-02-2006, 3:21 PM
What's really scareing me is that the first forum I visited today was this one..:eek: :eek: :eek: . Had to see what madness the spinners were up to today.:D :D
David - It's only Wednesday (oops, Thursday) and our dear moderator isn't scheduled to pass out our medication again until Friday at noon GMT. My guess is that by 12:01 PM PMT we'll be back up to ramming speed.

Jim Dunn
02-02-2006, 4:45 PM
Well, all righty then!

This is too much for one mere mortal to take on solo.

Gonna have to be a team effort.

All those south of the Mason Dixon Line - You got David.

All those north of the Mason Dixon Line - You got Steve.

Wait for it

Wait for it

Wait for it

Monkee Pile!

Andy, as I'm in Missouri whom do I get:confused: I guess that word sums it up, I get north:eek::eek:

Jim