PDA

View Full Version : Look's like Normy has

Mark Hulette
07-23-2003, 2:32 PM
jumped into making a Windsor chair!! :D :D

Check it out: Norm's Webcam (http://www.newyankee.com/yankeecam.shtml)

I've recently been researching chairmaking (Windsor, especially) and was wondering if anyone has tried it or any other style of chair?

Carl Eyman
07-23-2003, 3:21 PM
I am expecting to see Mike Dunbar storm thru the door any minute with an axe and smash the chair. That is suppose to be Mike's job Carl

Mark Hulette
07-23-2003, 4:29 PM
I am expecting to see Mike Dunbar storm thru the door any minute with an axe and smash the chair. That is suppose to be Mike's job Carl

Carl- I thought about that TOO! :) Roy Underhill did an on-location interview with Mr Dunbar at the Windsor Institute and now that I think about it, Norm did one there too when he was doing the steam-bent coat rack.

I have been wanting to take a class there for years but with 2 kiddos it's kinda tough to justify. Maybe some day soon... :cool:

Jim Becker
07-23-2003, 4:44 PM

I believe that Mike and Norm are aquainted from some "bending" activity quite a few seasons back. And I have no doubt that some of the methodolgy they each use will be different from each other!! :D

Paul Geer
07-23-2003, 4:49 PM
Mark,

This is as close I got to making a chair or... well... really copy a chair. My aunt had four "ice cream parlor" chairs that were in disrepair and she wanted to know if I can make a new one. So I tried (first time making any chair) and made this prototype.

Carl Eyman
07-23-2003, 4:52 PM
Yeah, I saw both those programs and enjoyed them. Mike was at a Williamsburg conference about 2 years ago and built a chair on stage in one day. He's entertaining, too.

I know what you are saying about the kids come first. When we had young children, a drive in movie was a big event. Now I have the free time and , at least, some of the money to do these things but at my age how can I amortize them?

Mark Hulette
07-24-2003, 8:14 AM
Nice job Paul on the ice cream parlor chairs!! Those look really good. Interesting 'x' detail on the stretchers, too.

Woodsmith has a plan for a set of chairs that I like in a very early issue that I'd like to try for our kitchen. No bending involved but each chair takes a fair amount of wood to get the prescribed shapes.

Thanks for posting...