PDA

View Full Version : Glue that doesn't shrink?

brad hays
08-02-2023, 11:48 PM
I need to make a series of completely flat sanding blocks and I've chosen to use 1/4" acrylic sheet for my backing. Previously when I Titebond 3 glued sandpaper to sheets of 1/8" acrylic they were all curled after the glue cured. So I've switched up to 1/4" acrylic and I'm searching for an appropriate glue that doesn't shrink. I would use rubber cement but the way that application works, apply to both sides, let dry and combine, would make for unwanted little lumps. I'll be using a brayer to make everything as even as possible after the paper is laid down on the glue surface.

Any suggestions for a better glue?

Doug Garson
08-03-2023, 12:18 AM
For your application I would try 3M 77 spray adhesive or perhaps double sided tape.

Zachary Hoyt
08-03-2023, 7:29 AM
PSA backed sandpaper would be an easy way to do this, I think.

Rich Engelhardt
08-03-2023, 9:11 AM
You might give Aleene's Original Tacky glue a shot.
It's a craft glue go-to for sticking paper products to plastics.

Will you be wet or dry sanding?

Will you be trying to remove the paper to replace it or just toss the paper and acrylic sheet?

Edward Weber
08-03-2023, 10:45 AM
I need to make a series of completely flat sanding blocks and I've chosen to use 1/4" acrylic sheet for my backing. Previously when I Titebond 3 glued sandpaper to sheets of 1/8" acrylic they were all curled after the glue cured. So I've switched up to 1/4" acrylic and I'm searching for an appropriate glue that doesn't shrink. I would use rubber cement but the way that application works, apply to both sides, let dry and combine, would make for unwanted little lumps. I'll be using a brayer to make everything as even as possible after the paper is laid down on the glue surface.

Any suggestions for a better glue?
Why acrylic for the backer?

Wes Grass
08-03-2023, 11:14 AM
Water in the glue swells the sandpaper, and then it dries and shrinks?

Self adhesive sounds better, but may not come off without leaving residue behind. I had that problem with wood blocks, and the goo doesn't come off easily.

I made mine by laminating 1/2" BB, machined them flat, rolled the ends off so the paper wouldn't snag, cut finger grooves down the sides... and without recutting the faces they're 'one and done' ...

They're great to use though. But 1/4"? Unless you're laying them face up on a bench, or attaching a handle to them, they're not going to be fun to push around.

Richard Coers
08-03-2023, 12:05 PM
Just use MDF for the sanding blocks and gluing becomes much easier. I can't say I've ever had trouble with any wood for a flat sanding block.

andy bessette
08-03-2023, 12:58 PM
PSA backed sandpaper would be an easy way to do this, I think.

This is what I use, but on 3/4" ply sanding blocks.

Gordon Stump
08-03-2023, 3:01 PM
I use hook and loop for my flat and contoured sanding blocks.